PDA

View Full Version : older snapper z turn mowers with one joystick ????????????

milo
11-19-2005, 03:15 PM
are these any good? could buy one locally for cheap... i rode one years ago and that 1 joystick thing is weird to get used to.. i think it is a 99 23hp with 60 inch deck. anyone with one let me know what you think. thank you

Jpocket
11-19-2005, 03:33 PM
If it was dirt cheap i would buy it 700-800 dollars, I would nt go spending a whole lot of money on it.

Mr.Mow-It-All
11-19-2005, 04:14 PM
yeh maybee for a back up. I had one as a loaner this year and hated it. If you have any type of a slope at that you have to go sideways on, like a small, and I meen very small ditch next to a road, you can forget it. The front will just fall down into the ditch, or just straight down the hill. With the single joystick you have no control with the front of the mower.

davidcalhoun
11-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Is the Snapper a mid-mount deckor a front mount deck? If it is a front mount deck, you will have better controls on the slight inclines.

Mr.Mow-It-All is correct about the early mid-mount deck Snappers. I bought a 18hp-48" mid-mount for my dad to use on his farm and it was awful on inclines. It seemed like it needed a weight kit to be put on the back end just to give it some control on inclines. You can't control the drive wheels of a mid-mount if you do not have enough weight over them.

Joy stick. I do not believe the joy stick had anything to do with it's poor handling. It was more about the weight distribution on this early mid-mount Snapper.

The construction of the mower was actually well built. I think it would be a fine mower if it fit your ground conditions. As for the cost of a good functioning 23hp, 60" Snapper ZTR????? I just know that $700 to $800 is way too low to hope for. A lot of LCO's are trying to sell their 36" to 48" belt drive walk-behinds for that amount on this site.

impactlandscaping
11-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Milo, I think that mower was a homeowner version of the commercial Z's at the time. As others have said, there is almost no tolerance for inclines with that mower. If you are mowing relatively flat yards, you should be fine. I remember when I was buying a new Z in 2000, seeing one of those in the showroom for around $ 3800.00 new. Plenty of power, and even had the 7ga. deck, with field serviceable spindles. Should be a good buy for a second machine or backup. I would expect to see the price somewhere between $ 1000.00-1500.00, and I don't think they put hour meters on the home pro models. The joystick control is pretty easy to get used to, though. The 23/52 we looked at had it, but I opted for twin sticks back then.

Envy Lawn Service
11-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Milo,

They did make good commercial versions of this mower. I've personally used one of the ones with body work like a Dixie Chopper/Grasshopper. That experience soured me on ZTR's right out of the gate. Absolutely zero control on any sort of incline with that joystick system. Not even a minor ditchline. FLAT LAND ONLY MACHINE.

If it was a frontmount turf cruiser it might be worth a test drive though.

lawnboy dan
11-19-2005, 10:34 PM
were called the yard cruiser wernt they?

Blessed 1
11-19-2005, 11:56 PM
My very first commercial mower (3 months after my first Craftsman) was a 60" 25hp Snapper. I bought it on a Friday and messed up a few yards with it only to return it on Monday morning. The only way I would suggest this mower if someone GAVE it to you and then I suggest you immediatly trade it in or as soon as possible. There are some good deal out there on some traded in Exmark's or what ever is popular in your region. You can find a good entry level ZTR for around $3500 around here. Heck, I have a 2003 44" 19 Kaw 125 hrs that I will take 4K for.

impactlandscaping
11-20-2005, 12:03 AM
were called the yard cruiser wernt they?

Yeah, Dan..I think that was it.Yard Cruiser or Turf Cruiser, something like that.

Envy Lawn Service
11-20-2005, 01:01 AM
I believe the yard cruiser was the homeowner machine.
Small, like a 42" lawn tractor deck I think.

Here is the frontmount Turf Cruiser.
The midmount was a similar style as far as body work.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5243&stc=1&d=1045546665

Envy Lawn Service
11-20-2005, 01:08 AM
On a side note, finally here is a picture of the new Snapper Z 2500 series I was talking about some time ago. As I said back then, they have a pretty dang nice ZTR now. The only reason I didn't consider one when I bought last is that nobody had the 61" for me to demo.

http://www.snapperpro.com/images/home_2500.jpg

AintNoFun
11-20-2005, 02:01 AM
a friend of mine has an older midmount joystick snapper. the things got like 2500 hours on it and he still uses it everyday.. i never used it but i know he loves it...

Richard Martin
11-20-2005, 06:27 AM
I believe the yard cruiser was the homeowner machine.
Small, like a 42" lawn tractor deck I think.

Here is the frontmount Turf Cruiser.
The midmount was a similar style as far as body work.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5243&stc=1&d=1045546665

Hmm... That looks an awful lot like a Grasshopper to me.

davidcalhoun
11-20-2005, 11:06 AM
There is a learning curve to using a single joy stick for driving. I grew up using Gehl skid loaders. They used two joy sticks. The left one was for the bucket operation and the right one was for driving.

On the Snapper commercial mowers, I believe that you can still specify which type of steering that you want (based on engine and deck configuration).

Even though I knew how to steer with a joy stick, I did not like as well as the two lever system on my Grasshoppers. Why - the main reason was that "I" could not be as accurate with the amount of overlap as "I" could be with my Grasshopper.

Envy Lawn Service
11-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Yeah, if you are buying a new one you have the choice between joystick and twin stick. It's the same way with Country Clipper. They have both too and their joystick system is as good as it gets.

milo
11-20-2005, 09:53 PM
yea was buying as a backup mower. i just seen it and it is not worth it i think.. i tried a new one years ago and when i got off of it i was dizzy. very jerky.. if he gives me a awesome deal i will buy it.

impactlandscaping
11-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Out of curiosity, what is he asking for it?

Cobra Jock
11-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Be care! If you have a large yard, you could end up with a "popeye" forearm!:)

Greg

webfoot
11-21-2005, 03:55 PM
I have country clipper with a joy stick and it will stick a hill.

Envy Lawn Service
11-21-2005, 05:07 PM
I have country clipper with a joy stick and it will stick a hill.

Yup, that's why I said before that their joystick is a good as it gets.
I've put one where most twin stick mowers won't go.