PDA

View Full Version : Pricing/Estimating In Landscaping Help?

Slcareco
11-19-2005, 04:46 PM
I have questions about pricing which I'm sure is always a big topic in this industry.... what is the normal pricing or formula to get a price for the following:

1. Mowing
2. Aerating
3. Planting
4. Trimming
5. Clean-ups
6. Weeding
7. Eding (shovel)
8. Seed Renovation
9. Sod Renovation
10. Making Beds
11. Mulching
12. Overseeding
13. Spot Seeding
14. Transplanting

If I missed anything be sure to add if you like thanks.

What is a profit % that you guys mark up on your work? Do you try to be a 30% profitable business, etc, any information would be great thanks....

Greenbrier
11-22-2005, 02:19 PM
This is a wide topic, depending on where you live. Living costs vary greatly.
You have to know your expenses. Fixed and variable costs per month. Then you have to know what you need to cover the labor cost. Your helper(s), plus yourself. This takes a great deal of homework on your part, and not something someone can just tell you. It all revolves around what I just mentioned, and the size of the job (time) it will take you to do it.

Hope that helps.

Coop

Slcareco
11-24-2005, 11:23 AM
wells its hard to when you havent started yet but thanks for the help

Eden's Gardener
11-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Slcareco - one thing you need to figure in is your labor's "burden" or workers' comp and/or s.s. matching taxes. I use about 18% to my hourly rate paid - that just covers your expense. Then, add on what you feel a fair labor rate to the customer is - that becomes your daily rate. I'd call around some local outfits and ask what they charge for some of the items on your list. Some will be helpful, others not so. But at least you'll see what competition in the area is like.

Also, when you use a product, like fertilizer - i generally mark it up double, which is what retail is close to. I'm already charging a labor fee to apply it and get it to the job, etc.

Figuring just labor is tricky for me, too. I've resorted to see what the competition is charging. I usually install flower beds so my labor charge is included in the plant prices - not just a typical 2x mark up on those items - But once in a while, i'll get someone just wanting bed work, no new plants. What is your time worth? What are your monthly expenses, divided by how many hours you want to work? That is a place to start. I don't usually give an hourly rate, just bid the job. If it takes less time - cool, call it an early day. If it takes longer, you'll remember it for next time. Good luck! Hope that helps some.