TURF DOCTOR
11-19-2005, 09:21 PM
No...........

TURFLORD
11-20-2005, 07:45 AM
yes......:p

rodfather
11-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Thatch removal, aerating, etc., is best done when the grass is actively growing IMO.

turfcobob
11-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Natural Impressions...If you remove the thatch cover this time of year you run the risk of winter freeze. It means that if there is no cover, thatch or snow the plant is bare to dry freezing wind. The dethatching operation cuts down to the top of the plant and exposes it to the elements.

I would not take the chance this time of year. Like they said do it just before the plants have to good growth and recovery period. Wait till spring.

Natural Impressions
11-22-2005, 12:13 AM
Natural Impressions...If you remove the thatch cover this time of year you run the risk of winter freeze. It means that if there is no cover, thatch or snow the plant is bare to dry freezing wind. The dethatching operation cuts down to the top of the plant and exposes it to the elements.

I would not take the chance this time of year. Like they said do it just before the plants have to good growth and recovery period. Wait till spring.

Thanks for the advice. I have one job that I am not going to touch until next spring but I do have another job that am still considering to do. I am thatching the lawn because it is pretty much just dead grass. The home owner fertilized his own lawn this year (like he did every year) without lime. This year it didn't recover. I had to treat it with a good amount of lime to bring the ph value back to the right level and with everything pretty much dead I am looking to get a little jump start on next year. So I will remove the thatch now, re-aerate in the spring ( did it once in Oct.) and seed at the same time. Does this sound like a good plan to you? Thanks for all your advice.:D