PDA

View Full Version : more on neutral safety switch problem

Garet
03-28-2001, 06:35 PM
Well, I swapped out the switch for one I know works. Same thing happened. The thing only wants to turn over in drive. I think I am putting the switch in correctly. I have it two nothches from the starting position. This would indicate to me it being in the resting position. There are 4 stages aren't there. Back for power-resting-front power-start. Is the switch supposed to be in a different position? Does what gear the shifter is in have anything to do with it? Could there be a bad connection or a fuse causing this problem? COuld I test the switch by having it out and using a screw driver to simulate starting position?

garet

Alan
03-28-2001, 08:02 PM
Are you talking about the neutral start switch or the main key switch? The topic says neutral start but you sure sound like you're describing the key switch. What year is the rig?

Garet
03-28-2001, 08:52 PM
Its called the neutral safety switch in the instruction manual I have. It says it is on top of the steering console behind the instrument panel. It also controls the back-up light. Of course I could be totally wrong and could be messing with the completely wrong thing. I don't really see how this switch can tell what gear the tranny is in anyway. All I see it doing is just making a connection to start the vehicle. The truck is a 73 K-10 1/2 ton 4wd Th350, 350.

Garet
03-28-2001, 09:05 PM
I think I am messing with the completely wrong switch. The neutral safety switch must be behind this switch, or in front of it. According to the picture there is something that goes into the steering column onthe neutral safety switch. nothing goes into the column on the thing I have been messing with. Oops. I think I have just been tweaking with the key switch like you said. Boy thats smart.

Alan
03-28-2001, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I believe the key switch is operated by a rack that slides up and down as the key is turned. The neutral switch is way down, close to the floorboard as I recall.

Garet
03-28-2001, 09:47 PM
Got the thing out. The white piece which is moved by the shifter is cracked almost in two. I am curious about somerthing though. There was only two wires plugged into the switch, each with two connections. There is two conectors to the far right of the switch and one to the far left. One of the connectors has D under it and the other has nothing. Are they for setting the thing up so It turns over in drive?

garet

plowjockey
03-29-2001, 10:15 PM
I believe (now don't quote me on this and be very sure you connect it right) that the switch is set up so it can fire the starter in either park or neutral hence the term neutral safety switch. Put the vehicle in park and you should be able to see where to set the switch up at. Unhook your coil wire or plug wires so it cannot start and see where it will fire the starter in relation to the gear selector.

Bruce

Garet
03-31-2001, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I know what the main ones are for but there are other plug-ins that are not used that have D next to it. The ones used have N and P under them. There are only two plugs that go to the thing but there are 4-plug-ins. Anyway, the problem is taken care of.

thx
Garet