PDA

View Full Version : Centipede Sodding Job

tsh1773
11-21-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm trying to price a centipede sodding job of about 3000 sq ft. Price per pallet at Supersod is $154.93 and it should take right at 6 pallets. How much would you charge in labor to lay 6 pallets of sod using a total crew of 2?

Lawnworks
11-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Any prep work or is the site prepared? I would figure on about 10 man hours if there is no prep work. So apply that to whatever you want per man hour. It should be higher there than here. $156 is delivered or no? We pay $85 a pallet down here.

tsh1773
11-21-2005, 05:29 PM
They quoted me the wrong price the first time. When I called back they gave me the commercial price of $122.17 + $85 delivery + $7/pallet deposit. By my calculation excluding the pallet deposit, it comes to $136.34/ delivered pallet.

The site currently has some bermuda along with alot of weedy stuff. I'm not quite sure what prep is needed at this point. I thought of maybe just tilling the area and removing the current grass and just put the sod down. Centipede is very hardy and shouldnt need a whole lot a prep.

muddstopper
11-21-2005, 08:06 PM
You are going to till bermuda under and then lay Centepede sod in late November? Bermuda will take back over next summer. Probably before the centepede greens up.

Lawnworks
11-21-2005, 08:07 PM
For a smaller job like that, I rent a mini skid w/ a harley rake for about $200 per day. That will do the trick.

The Cowboy
11-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Don't till in any grass, I've done it before and it was hell trying to rake out all the clumps. Rent a sodcutter for 4 hours, then shovel off the spoils, goes pretty quick. I charge $.75 per square foot to do this much, 'cept I don't have experience with centipede grass, it is usually Kentucky bluegrass. A job like this would cost me $450 in sod, then $60 for the sodcutter, plus $80 for my brother helping me for 6 hours, add my dumping charge of $100 for the spoils. About 700 bucks. I would bid it $2250, and make about $1550 before taxes, thats a good days work for 2 fellers.
Remember this price is for Northern Illinois. Hope this helps.

o-so-n-so
11-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Centipede is very hardy and shouldnt need a whole lot a prep.

Centipede is not a hardy grass.

If you want to have centipede grass next year....don't take the prep lightly. I think a good sod job starts at the prep work.

Laying sod is easy....anyone can do it. Prep is a different level of understanding what your wanting as the end results. I wouldn't even price a warm season grass in nov/dec.

Good luck:D

tsh1773
11-22-2005, 08:16 AM
I never said I'd be doing the job in November or December. The customer wanted some options for the early spring to make her back yard look better so I'm only in the beginning stages of this process.

muddstopper
11-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Well, since you will be starting in spring instead of now you might have a chance. You still will have trouble with the bermuda coming back, just cutting with a sod cutter wont get rid of it. A couple of things to consider,, Make the area more tolerate of Centepede than Bermuda. Centepede doesnt like lots of nitrogen or phosphorous, so dont go using your regular starter ferts for this project. Centepede can benefit from some N,P at planting but focus should be on making sure the K levels are correct inthe soil. Centepede can actually benefit from a little salt that is derived form the K. Dont get in a hurry to see centepede grass after planting, first to go dormant and last to green up. Also be aware of the coated Centepede seed, This seed has a clay coating that is equal to the actual seed weight so, if you apply the seed by weight you are only actually applying half the correct amount of seed for the area. Usually you wont hear me recommending heavy seed rates but with centepede, because of the coated seed and slow establishment rate, dont go light on the seed.

Whoops, just remembered you said sod, still the fertilizer tips apply

Greenbrier
11-22-2005, 12:27 PM
You have to have a good soil base for the roots to grow in if you are sodding. If not, then you will be going back and replanting several yards of dead grass. You need to till it, or put a layer of topsoil down about two inches thick. That should create a good root soil medium. As for the Bermuda coming back, yes it will, and will overtake the centipede. Some people dont mind multiple grasses... some do. If they are really into one kind, you may want to sod with Bermuda, with the extra top soil; it may fix the problem, follow up with fertilizer. Lots of aeration and H20.

Coop

o-so-n-so
11-23-2005, 02:10 AM
In my area the rate is $1.00 a yard to lay sod. 6 pallets would run you $300.00 to lay only. I can't do it for that......thats why I don't do many sod jobs.

allinearth
11-23-2005, 08:02 AM
You can't say Bermuda will over take centipede. It depends on the conditions, ex: water, shade,etc. I have seen centipede take over bermuda under the right conditions. We once used bermuda as a nurse grass for centipede on a hydro seed project. house had a sprinkler and two years later and to this day not a lick of Bermuda left. On the other Hand I have seen Bermuda take over in a dry area.

muddstopper
11-23-2005, 09:07 AM
You can't say Bermuda will over take centipede. It depends on the conditions, ex: water, shade,etc. I have seen centipede take over bermuda under the right conditions. We once used bermuda as a nurse grass for centipede on a hydro seed project. house had a sprinkler and two years later and to this day not a lick of Bermuda left. On the other Hand I have seen Bermuda take over in a dry area.

It comes down to making the conditions more favoritable for the centepede than the bermuda. The bermuda will over take the centepede if you add to much nitrogen and phosphorous fertilizers. reason being is that Centepede doesnt tolerate P well and doesnt need a lot of nitrogen to grow. On the other hand, centepede does like a little of K. Using fertiliers low in N/P and high in K will encourage the centepede so that it can overtake the bermuda. Of course how much and what blend of fert to use all depends on how much is already in the soil. Water requirements are also different for centepede than bermuda, to much water will encourage the bermuda. Deffinatly need a soil test before starting this project and be sure to specify that you are using centepede grass.