PDA

View Full Version : Any LEAFscapers here?

Envy Lawn Service
11-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Well since fall is here, leaves are on the brain. So I was just curious in anyone else besides me uses leaves in any manor in any type of landscaping they do?

I use them in lots of manors and also do some LEAFscaping this time of year.
I actually have some customers who request that I use compost leaf mulch to topdress bed areas, and I also have some where I literally install it as mulch.

On other sites I have designed and set up 'natural' landscape areas which are done with leaves that fall on-site. A few of these are to me some of the prettiest areas I have created over the years.

So I was just wondering if I'm the only LEAFscaper here.

hole in one lco
11-21-2005, 07:26 PM
any customer who has a garden get the leaves

Justcutitshort
11-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Well since fall is here, leaves are on the brain. So I was just curious in anyone else besides me uses leaves in any manor in any type of landscaping they do?.

Those customers with a mulch/planted island on their property, we try to bring the leaves within 10 feet of the island, mulch the leaves to powder and then evenly blow the mixture onto the island, just as if was regular mulch. Many customers say it looks as thought we've just rejuvenated their mulch.
One rain and it's all nice and smooth.

jreiff
11-21-2005, 09:49 PM
You have any pictures of how the leaves look once mulched and spread?

What do you use to mulch the leaves?

Envy Lawn Service
11-21-2005, 10:18 PM
You have any pictures of how the leaves look once mulched and spread?

What do you use to mulch the leaves?

Yeah, I haves some pictures.
Give me time to dig them up.
Then give me time to sort through and see if I have some that are not too revealing about my sites.
Lost some work that way...

As far as mulching the leaves, depends on the site and the application.
Some sites I actually haul in mulched and composted leaf mulch just like I would bark mulch or other materials. This is a finer mulched compost that is generally a rich deep brown to black or red-brown to red-black in color. These look good where dark mulches define or deepen the landscape.

I haul in or produce on-site non-composted leaf mulches which are the color of the primary fallen leaf. Shades from greys to lighter red-browns to darker dry leaf drab brown.

The Cowboy
11-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Sure, I get some folks who have me use the leaves as mulch. I ask every customer if I can leave some on the beds. I have one lady who thinks I am a miracle worker because I convinced her to mix alot into the veggie garden. She had bigger 'maters than all other years after using the leaves. All my leaves are picked up with my Gravely 252Z after running through six blades and a vacuum. They are so fine they cain't blow away. The rest of the leaves go on the back forty.

sheshovel
11-22-2005, 03:21 AM
You really want to make sure your not transporting any diseases or pests on the leaves you are bringing
into your customers yards,Even running them thru a mulcher wont remove disease spores,that's why composting them 1st is a good idea.
If they are my customers leaves yea,I use them in any way I can,errosion control,leaving them throughout the root area of the tree
(That's what tree's eat anyway right?)incorperating them into the vegi garden as Cowboy does,adding them to a compost pile