PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Design Help

qualitylandscaping
11-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Just moved into my new home. Looking for some ideas for landscaping. I have a few ideas in mind but want the entire place to "pop"! Want to keep it looking rustic and country (since its where I live). Trees, shrubs, annuals, things that should be removed, ponds, etc..

Let me know what you would do!

sheshovel
11-22-2005, 02:21 AM
Couple of questions..
Do you have Deer?
Do you have a well,if so how many GPM does it pump
if your on city water,what's your PSI ?
What is your soil like?Does it drain well?
1st thing I would do is prune that tree in front a bit
so it does not over=power the house.
but give me some answers and I will tell ya what I think
Beautiful home congratulations!!

sheshovel
11-22-2005, 02:37 AM
Oh I went to your site,nice site
If you do landscape installations and design,then you just want some other views on what you should do with your own?

qualitylandscaping
11-22-2005, 02:40 AM
Couple of questions..
Do you have Deer?
Do you have a well,if so how many GPM does it pump
if your on city water,what's your PSI ?
What is your soil like?Does it drain well?
1st thing I would do is prune that tree in front a bit
so it does not over=power the house.
but give me some answers and I will tell ya what I think
Beautiful home congratulations!!

Sheshovel,

1. Yes there are deer in the area. Not a great deal of them around the house. They stay out in the woods or around the ponds for the most part. Would like to use a semi deer resistant landscape but plan on spraying all with Deer-Ex.

2. Yes home is on well water. I want to say 19-21gpm but I may be wrong. No city water within 10 miles of here!

3. Soil is beautiful. Drains great where grading was done properly. I am working on regrading some areas right now.

4. The tree will be trimmed. I'm thinking about some Austrian Pines or Blue Spruce out front. I have almost 15 acres at this place and I plan on using most of it. 1900 feet back from the house. Plan on opening up 4 acres during the winter and putting in a lawn in the spring.

qualitylandscaping
11-22-2005, 02:44 AM
Oh I went to your site,nice site
If you do landscape installations and design,then you just want some other views on what you should do with your own?

Yep. I haven't actually drawn up a plan of my own yet. Just have ideas floating in my brain, and am wondering what everyone else can come up with..

Take an idea here, and another there.. In the end it will look perfect!

sheshovel
11-22-2005, 03:08 AM
I agree and was the first thing I thought actually Colorado Blue Spruce,..
ENGELMAN SPRUCE ,Picea engelmanii
Austrian Pines are good,also Bosnian Pines,
Pinus heldreichii
(P.h. leucodurmis) Slow growing but a great looking pine
and mabey
Limber Pine "Vanderwolf"
What Sunset Planting Zone are you in?
I think it's best to just try and control the 1/2 acre
closest to the house and slowly do more later.I just don't think moving out to gorgeous country and then clearing the native beauty you have around you is neccesarily a real good thing to do with your land.
Make sure you can water and maintain the trees around the house and not loose them to deer ,before
putting expensive tree's farther out.Nothing you can spray on your trees or plants will keep them away long
They WILL COME CLOSER as soon as you start planting take my word on this.

LB1234
11-22-2005, 11:09 AM
I'll chime in on the deer issue. We've done some work in somerset and hunterdon counties here in jersey and its pretty bad as far as deer goes. EVERY time we get a call for rejuvenating a landscape the question/comment always shows up "Do you have anything that deer won't eat?". I'll explain that their is nothing a deer 'won't' eat if it comes to starving or dying.

The following is a list of shrubs that we have had excellent results with as far as the deer not bothering them...

#1 - Andromeda
#2 - Boxwood
#3 - Leucothoe
#4 - Cypress (shrub)
#5 - Alberta Spruce
#6 - Barberry
#7 - Juniper
??? - Rhododendron - we have had limited success w/this plant. Its a crap shoot with this one. Hunterdon county no problems, somerset...thats were it is hit or miss.

Limited evergreen trees...

#1 - Colorado Blue Spruce
#2 - Norway Spruce

You can plant just about any upright tree. However, make sure it is tall enough that the deer can't get to the branches. Or, what we've done in the past is surround smaller trees (for price consideration for the customer/s) with fencing until it reaches a certain height...say 7-8'. Then we remove the fencing and let the deer naturally prune the tree...:dizzy:

SodKing
11-22-2005, 10:02 PM
I don't know...I'm thinking garden gnomes....;)

Popper357
11-22-2005, 11:53 PM
yea, and a spa. How about some roses. What type of hardscaping are you going to add? Get a scale plan veiw posted and I can help with setting up outdoor rooms. Wish I had fifteen acres with a house like that, nice pad.

Tadams
11-23-2005, 12:27 AM
My design fee is rather expensive. Are you willing to cough up the dough? :cool:

o-so-n-so
11-23-2005, 01:55 AM
I would keep it very simple.....like the house and the life you should live with a place like that...(very nice place)

First..I would grind that stump in front and trim tree.

then plant

Hydrangea
Azaleas
Daffodils
White Pines (or similar)
Mixed hardwoods in front (not to many)

thats it................oh yea...some honeysuckle at the edge of the woods for the deer to browse on.

What the life to wake up-fresh coffee-watch the sunrise-the deer graze before you start the day......:D

sheshovel
11-23-2005, 01:58 AM
One of the first things I would suggest is to put a nice sized front deck/porch along the whole front of the home ,
then a natural stone walkway from parking area to front entry steps,and around to the other side of the house and down the hill to the back.
The deck pickets would look nice if they were curved and bent branches and the rails split 1/4 logs to match as close to the house as possible.
Then I would create a free form curving planting bed
in front of the porch each side,bringing it out 15' or so in places then curving it back in to 10' or so at whatever looks good.That way you can bring the plantings out and away,giving a feeling of blending the landscape into nature.Plant areas of 3,6 or 9 of the same plants or combo of 3 kinds of plants in those groupings and repeat throughout the beds.
You want to stick with a framework of evergreen shrubs,different heights but only 3 kinds maybe 5 at the most.Dwarf Muhgo pines are great for that rustic
mountain feeling,and provide a low framework to work around.The important thing is to choose several kinds of evergreens,and several kinds of perennial plants and not plant too many different types of plants .
Then I would suggest a rustic standing swing out
under the tree or on the other side of the home for swinging.
Then plant out your Spruces and Pines like wherever they will not block your view,but provide privacy too when mature.

Larry Davis
11-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Just 2 cents from a non-professional ...............

Any chance you can eliminate that power line pole? Have your power lines run underground?

Larry Davis
11-23-2005, 09:26 AM
More of my 2 cents worth .............

I'm one of those nuts that enjoys watching the deer. I keep a corn pile at the edge of my property and they never touch any of our plants or trees. Of course, come hunting season the hunters sure keep a close eye on my corn pile!!!

As to the post mentioning honeysuckle .......... I'm sure you know this stuff spreads like crazy and will take over in no time, deer or no deer. Tough to get rid of.

NNJLandman
11-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Rustic...i always thought white birch...river birch always made a nice apperance, PJMs, Scotch Broom, Maybe at a few more trees to the yard like Pear Tree, Hemlock trees, Pyracantha, Paver walk up to the door. I dunno jus a few plants that come to mind.

Jeff

sheshovel
11-28-2005, 07:17 PM
NNJLandman..Scotch Broom is concidered an invasive species and people who live in wild areas should be carefull to not plant invasives that can get into the native habitats.