View Full Version : Pricing spring clean ups

ron
03-28-2001, 07:45 PM
Hello just put a bid in for $1,100.00 for a spring clean up,
wonder if this was enough money .
1. cut and remove 28 ft tree
2. cut and trim shrubs and remove all dead plants. 100 shrubs and misc plants,
3. Cut and remove (4) 7 FT TREE LIMBS.
4. rake back and front of yard approximately 3/4 acre.
remove (1) 8ftx5ft large pile of debrie
Remove approximately 4 truck loads of debries
total man hours for job 8 hours.

1MajorTom
03-28-2001, 08:02 PM
You have estimated your hours wrong. 8 hours to do all that? No, I don't think so.
The loading and dumping alone is going to chew up some hours.

Are you sure you mean 8 man hours or a crew of three working 24 man hours?
Fill us in.

bdemir
03-28-2001, 08:05 PM
I think at least 12 hours minimum and with two guys not one. If you hustle maybe 10 with two guys but then again you know what the job looks like not us so you have to ultimately decide your hours.

BEdros

kutnkru
03-28-2001, 08:27 PM
1. cut and remove 28 ft tree
I would have to bid this spec out at 12 man hours alone. We sub this out to an arborist, and with a 3 man crew it would be ready for stump grinding by noon.

I like to sub this out because they have the BIG vermeer grinder, bucket trucks, box trucks for debris, roll off for the larger portions of the tree, and skid steer with attachments for clean-up and hauling of logs.

2. cut and trim shrubs and remove all dead plants. 100 shrubs and misc plants,
I would estimate a minimum of 9 man hrs for shearing, clean-up, and debris removal.

3. Cut and remove (4) 7 FT TREE LIMBS.
I would estimate a minimum of 1 man hr for this.

4. rake back and front of yard approximately 3/4 acre.
I would estimate a minimum of 3 man hrs for this.

remove (1) 8ftx5ft large pile of debrie
I would estimate a minimum of 2 man hrs for this.

Remove approximately 4 truck loads of debries
I would estimate a minimum of 4 man hrs for this to cover travel and labor times.

I would have spec'd this out at 20 man hours plus the tree work for #1.

Good Luck this season!
Kris

lawnboy82
03-28-2001, 08:53 PM
you say 1,100? for 8 hours?
well let me think- 100 plants? that would be about 15 - 20 plants per hour to prune and remove and whatnot. that is fast for me, but i dont really know their size. what i would say to you though, is spend one day pruning the shrubs / getting the tree down / and raking the lawn
go back the next day with a chipper chip the brush from the tree / the shrub clippings / the branches / the debris pile the chipper around here you can rent for i think 200 a day for a diesel 12 inch. that will severely reduce your dumping time, and also you may be able to give that or even better yet sell to another customer. a 28' tall tree really isnt that bad. i think that a 12" chipper should take the whole thing, just make sure it isnt over septic or lines. if it is in the clear make your notch cut and back cut. limb and buck it. done. but i think you are gonna be there for maybe a day and a half with 2 guys. or maybe 3 guys your first day and the second maybe 2 guys will be there for 2 hours chipping. (brush stacked) if you cant get right up the the debris then it will take longer. maybe you should try to get some other jobs for the chipper though, make some more money off the thing. cause personally i have done the hauling brush deal, and it sux. even if you do have a dump truck. you are better off just hitching up to a chipper turn it on, shoot right into the back of your truck and head off 1 load. instead of 4 or 5 or whatever it is.

dmk395
03-28-2001, 09:23 PM
Find me a worker who can do that in 8 hours and I will pay him very, very well!

ron
03-28-2001, 09:25 PM
WELL THE TREE IS 10 IN DM APPROXIMATELY 28 FT IN HEIGHT .

joshua
03-28-2001, 09:31 PM
ron, i hate to say it but you under bidded this job by a long shot. i don't think with a 4 man crew i could do this running 2 trucks for dumping. rewalk it all again and think it over.

ron
03-28-2001, 09:54 PM
Joshua what would you have charged for this service using only one man..

thelawnguy
03-28-2001, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by ron
WELL THE TREE IS 10 IN DM APPROXIMATELY 28 FT IN HEIGHT .

I had three of these removed and chipped last Monday one walnut two maple but he left the wood over 8 inch diameter, cost me $150 took the two guys an hour.

100 shrubs. You dont give much detail. If its a 100 foot hedge or specimen topiary. Could be 1/2 hour or 1/2 day.

4 tree limbs. 1/2 hour tops for a guy with climbing skills. Assuming the branches are in different trees. If you want to screw with a ladder, why should the customer pay for someone elses inexperience?

3/4 acre cleanup, 2 hours with a broom and blower, tops.

Depending on travel time to the dump, the debris pile removal should be an easy estimate.

I think if you have the right equipment and experience you will make money at your bid. I know I would. If you want to bid union scale using out of shape workers who spent the winter holed up in front of their Dell then you should bid the 30+ hours others suggested. Or not bid at all, since someone else will surely eat your piece of this pie. This whole job would be a one day, one man job for me with my tree guy as my sub taking down the tree and the limbs.

[Edited by thelawnguy on 03-28-2001 at 10:06 PM]

landscaper3
03-28-2001, 10:10 PM
Your price is WAY to low. The tree companies up here get $330 to cut and $100 to dispose of per tree. Weeding will take at least 6-8 hrs alone! Your bid should be for a min of 20hrs!

kutnkru
03-28-2001, 10:11 PM
If you want to bid union scale using out of shape workers who spent the winter holed up in front of their Dell then you should bid the 30+ hours others suggested.
I guess that would be me, since the heaviest thing Ive lifted all winter would be a 40 oz. and a pkg of Ho-Ho's -LMAO.

Glad Im starting clean ups on Monday so that by May I can be the king of the scrubs again to qouote Stone.:)

Good Luck this season!
Kris

thelawnguy
03-28-2001, 10:32 PM
"Weeding will take at least 6-8 hrs alone! "

Maybe I mis-read the question, but what weeding was being spec'd?

KirbysLawn
03-28-2001, 10:42 PM
If you put the bid in already why are you asking now? I think it is low myself, just completed a job with 14 plantings, a few plant moves, and minor clean up with one load removed and it was $975, I'm sure I would have bid more on this job.

Were they excited when they got the bid?

ron
04-01-2001, 06:54 PM
Whew I just finished up this job started Friday Morning around 8;30am worked to 1:30p then started up again sat at 9;00 am and finished up at 1:40pm total time 9 hrs 40 min for one man... hey thanks for all your info...

dmk395
04-01-2001, 10:38 PM
Ron,

What type of tools did u use to do that job? Just curious because that seems like an awful lot of work to accomplish in 9 hours with one man.

thelawnguy
04-01-2001, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by thelawnguy
This whole job would be a one day, one man job for me with my tree guy as my sub taking down the tree and the limbs.

Even if all you used were a hand rake chain saw hand pruners and pitchfork this was a gravy job for those familiar with what they are bidding on.

[Edited by thelawnguy on 04-01-2001 at 11:00 PM]

Chopper Lover
04-02-2001, 06:37 PM
Ron...

Now that you are done do you feel like you bid properly or do you feel you cut yourself to low?

Mark

kroll
04-02-2001, 07:32 PM
ron if you work that fast And hard all the time I've got a job for you.LOL how old are you?

smburgess
04-02-2001, 08:15 PM
Ron...
It sounds like for you, you bid the job right, be glad you submitted the bid BEFORE you posted the question here.

summitgroundskeeping
04-02-2001, 08:22 PM
Think about it, to rake alone, by hand will take around 3 hours if u do a good job. Remove tree's even longer. Re-price or you'll be very sorry