PDA

View Full Version : chipper purchase

yardmanlee
11-22-2005, 09:09 AM
I've kinda been looking around for a small chipper for small tree and shrub jobs
something that will easly handle up to about a 3" limb. the key word is easly
has a small craftsman chipper but dosent have that much time to wait to chip up the stuff. was looking at the dr chipper tow behind 18 hp and takes up to 4 1/2" stuff cost around 3400.00 they have 6 month free trial. that has me a little intrested in it. has any one used this one or have any suggestions
about others?

thanks
lee

mmacsek
11-22-2005, 04:36 PM
I have never used a DR but didn't hear many good things about them. I have a 10hp Mackissic chipper/shredder. The size fools you on what it can handle. I paid around 1500.00. Thay also make a 18hp?? tow behind for about 4500.00. Mackissic has been around a long time and proven. Matt

Popper357
11-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Try to find an used vermeer chipper on ebay for 5-6k that can chip 6" branches. Seen some on there every now and then. I could use one because I advertise for tree work and come across jobs. Been thinking about getting one. I use a tree service for climbing etc

PSUturf
11-25-2005, 07:10 PM
The Vermeer BC600 series would work really good. It has a hydraulic feed. Newer models have AutoFeed II which controls how fast branches are fed in to chipper. This really cuts down on stalling the engine and jamming the chipper wheel. Vermeer's website let's you search your local dealers used equipment inventory.

mowtime
11-25-2005, 07:22 PM
The post about mackissick is right, I also just became an owner of the 12pt type chipper/shredder and it is awesome. 10 hp and it takes the limbs up to 4 inches diameter. The other chute you can put leaves and smaller branches and let her rip. I did some research and found that these are built to last and the factory will back almost any request within reason. I was lucky as I bought some lawn equipment from this guy that was moving out of state and he gave it to me, probably used no more than 3-5 times. I was going to sell it but I used it on some jobs and wont part with it now. You can also get different diameter screens to make compost.

AintNoFun
11-25-2005, 07:24 PM
It has a hydraulic feed. Newer models have AutoFeed II which controls how fast branches are fed in to chipper.

ive used this on a few chippers we rented, what an awesome feature...

lawnmaniac883
11-25-2005, 08:39 PM
You might want to look into renting large chipping machines. Depending on how many tree/shrub jobs you are looking at doin, it may be more cost effective to rent. You will also not have to worry about maintenance and repairs. I have rented a 12'' Bandit chipper from my local store a few times, will do anything you can fit into it. JMO

Gilla Gorilla
11-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Yeah those Bandits will really eat some wood. My buddy has a 12" or 16" I can't remember exactly which size but it has a 200+ horsepower Cummins motor and I have not seen any piece of wood stop that engine.

lawnmaniac883
11-26-2005, 04:17 PM
This actually brings up the point that there are other high quality chippers aside from vermeer. Bandit produces some excellent machines as well!