PDA

View Full Version : Tip Of The Day - 11/21/05 - Vonage

Sean Adams
11-22-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm sure by now many of you have heard about Vonage - the high speed phone service. It works directly with your high speed internet connection. From what I can gather there is a flat monthly fee of $24.99 regardless of who you call, where you call, and how long you talk. I also see that all the ammenities are included - voice mail, caller ID, call forwarding, etc... Has anyone tried this or does anyone use this now?

check it out at www.vonage.com

Grassmechanic
11-22-2005, 03:24 PM
No thanks! From a buddy who has had it - he said he got "kicked off" (lost his connection) too many times in the middle of a call. They'll have to work the bugs out for me to be interested.

Sean Adams
11-22-2005, 03:27 PM
makes sense... my question was always if your internet is down then your phone is crippled as well... doesn't make sense yet but I'm guessing it will eventually, like you said

dvmcmrhp52
11-22-2005, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't do it now but I believe in the near future it will be worth looking into. Phone lines (dial up) have become outdated.

olderthandirt
11-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Phone lines (dial up) have become outdated.

True but for the occasional user and there are still a few around payup dial ups cheap.

dvmcmrhp52
11-22-2005, 03:54 PM

True but for the occasional user and there are still a few around payup dial ups cheap.

Yup, Agreed, but I believe the other services will soon become more reasonably priced in the near future.

Up North
11-22-2005, 04:00 PM
makes sense... my question was always if your internet is down then your phone is crippled as well... doesn't make sense yet but I'm guessing it will eventually, like you said

Hey Sean, the problem with VOIP is quality of service. When I was into communications up until this past April that was the concern of many companies switching over to VOIP vs. PBX or switched equipment. The failure rate for VOIP is still around 10-20% depending on whose service you use. No doubt that is the way phone service is going and will be some day, but they still have a few issues to work out. Vonage has a good idea and good product that will only get better with technology.

Buck

6'7 330
11-22-2005, 04:23 PM
My sister has Vonage,very few drop offs,only the occasional circuits are all down message ,when attempting to dial out.She calls the United Kingdom and Scotland and Malaysia and talks for hours ,for 24.95 a month.Voice quality is excellent over her cable connection.

joe4
11-23-2005, 09:50 AM
I do not like that it does not work when the power is out.

They also have a scary 911 system. There was a little girl in the news that lost a parent because 911 did not work. Also you may have to tell them you address so a small child calling 911 or unable to speak is in trouble.

http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=911&lid=footer_911

chopsticks33
11-30-2005, 08:43 PM
i just use my cell phone

cwlawley
01-16-2006, 05:50 AM
I have been using Vonage for about six months now. I wanted to actually use it for a while and see the positives and negatives before I go reviewing something that I know very little about.

Vonage is not trus VOIP for those talking about it. If you are interested in this, you are going to have to wait (at least in NC) for another six months or so. Vonage, for me, has worked great. I can tell absolutely no difference in the service between this and a regular phone line and I love all the features it comes with. I especially like the price and the fact that it is compatible for a business at no extra charge.

I have had no dropped calls and no problems with installation or their customer service. For those scared about the 911 service, I understand. It was actually the reason I waited so long to convert. However they are in the process or working on it, until then it is basically just like calling 911 on a cell phone.

hunter
01-26-2006, 01:25 AM
I've been using Lingo for about a year now. It's been great. $19.95 a month and this is with unlimited calls. Was even able to transfer my existing number to them with no problem.

http://www.lingo.com

djlawn
02-01-2006, 04:28 PM
I have been using Vonage for over 2 years now. It has been a great service for me. I can count on 1 hand the number of problems with dropped/garbled calls. I have heard that if you try to use it with DSL there are more problems. I however use cable. I can't tell the difference between landland and VoIP where I am. As far as the 911 thing, they are working on an enhanced 911 system which is what everybody is used to using. That records your name, address, phone, etc on the call takers screen at the 911 center.It should be up very soon in most markets if it isn't already. And the best part is that I am paying less for a phone and fax line than what I was paying for just 1 phone line with ma bell.

Greg313
02-02-2006, 03:05 PM
We just switched to Vonage a two weeks ago and the only thing that I don't like is sometimes the wrong info comes up or nothing at all on the caller id. Thanks for the info on the 911 service.

iakentdoz
02-03-2006, 07:37 PM
We just switched from DSL to Cable and are trying out Vonage and so far it has worked great. We are only using it as a 2nd number/fax line. 24.99 a month for unlimited or 14.99 for 500 minutes a month. Right now the first month of unlimited is free! One of the nice things about Vonage is that you can see both incoming and outgoing calls on line and even check your voice mail on line.

Precision
02-04-2006, 12:18 PM
I have had vonage for almost 4 years. In NYC and in Florida. My account number is so low, it doesn't have the correct # of digits. That should tell you how long I have been a satisfied customer.

No more problems than when Ihad a baby bell. $49.99 for the business unlimited line with a second line for fax with 1500 minutes.

This is the future. You have other choices as well, Most cable companies offer a similar service, although usually more expensive and don't have business options.

free call forwarding, you can set up a chain of forwards, you can take the number with you where ever you move,

Check it out.

hunter
02-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Lingo is the same way. For a business line I think it is the same price.

hackitdown
02-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I use Vonage for the house/family line, and my wife's home office line and fax is also Vonage. It works well, but it does drop about 1 call per month. We pay about $65 for 2 voice lines and a fax line, which is the same as I used to pay Verizon for just one voice line.

I use cellular for the business line.

greenpastureslc
02-12-2006, 08:13 PM
I used vonage for two years and never had a single problem. Quality, service, everything about the company was good. As far as system down problems, thats when all calls were forwarded to my cell. The only thing I didn't like was the 911 service, it never recognized my address. I just recently switched to Time Warners digital phone mainly because their 911 works like a landline and the call is directed to a local call center, also because of the enhanced caller id that shows all my info and a local phone book listing (you won't get in the phonebook with vonage). With the package I just got with Time Warner Cable, I only pay $6 more a month for cable, internet, and phone

BSME
02-21-2006, 10:40 PM
if I'm moving across town can I take my current business line with me with vonage?

djlawn
02-21-2006, 11:22 PM
if I'm moving across town can I take my current business line with me with vonage?
Yes. If you even go on vacation, you could take your "phone line" with you. The only thing that you have to remember is that you need a high speed internet connection because Vonage works off of TCP/IP. I have a friend that when he comes up to visit he brings his modem with him and can use his phone up here to make and receive calls.

kalyeah
02-22-2006, 01:18 AM
I just switched to vonage and had a few problems starting out. I switched from a 2.4 to a 5.8 ghz phone and that helps solve some of the problems. Also had my router too close to my modem. I think I have most of the problems hammered out now. I did find out that I have to make sure I have the bandwidth set to the highest quality setting for my tivo to be able to dial and make a connection.

jdgent
03-22-2006, 07:41 AM
I have had Vonage for over a year now and have not one complaint. I use Comcast as my internet provider with a download rate close to 5 meg...compaired to BellSouth's 700 K. I also have a cell phone for those times when the service goes out. My home phone (vonage) rings four times and then transfers to my cell phone (free), I have caller ID (free) so I know how to answer the phone, and I have a dedicated fax line....$39 a month for two lines. My phone bill went from around $80 to $90 a month for one line to $39 a month for two...If you do the math Vonage is paying for my high speed data provider...