PDA

View Full Version : Trimming shrubs end november???

natuworks
11-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Just want to make sure it is safe to trim shrubs (evergreens) in the fall /winter in Massachusetts... Thanks a lot!

ProLawns
11-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Yep, just don't trim azaleas or camelias or you'll miss the flowers in the spring.

natuworks
11-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the quick answer...

TURFLORD
11-22-2005, 05:26 PM
I usually like to think as long as it's not to cold so the cut dry instead of freeze. Small branches can be pruned now, but wait for spring to get the big stuff.

PSUturf
11-25-2005, 05:13 PM
This is the best time of year (i.e. dormancy) to prune any plants unless the plants flowers on the previous season's growth. There isn't really any chances of insects being attracted to pruning wounds. The risk of spreading disease is very low. (not sure about fireblight) No stress on the plant. If you prune an actively growing plant it will be stimulated to put out new growth which uses stored energy.

jim dailey
11-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Just want to make sure it is safe to trim shrubs (evergreens) in the fall /winter in Massachusetts... Thanks a lot!

I usually do all of my customers shrubs along with the Fall Clean-ups. I had all of mine done mid-November, then went south for the winter. Hey, your next door to me. Drop me a pm if you are looking for some work or some used equipment...JIM.