PDA

View Full Version : What's the story w/EP Henry

LB1234
11-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Just curious...

We do the occasional wall/walkway and we have been using EP Henry. We like the product. However, our original supplier has stopped selling EP Henry as of last year. Our nursery was expanding their landscape selection (not just trees/shrubs/mulch) and he tried getting EP Henry as their supplier. According to the owner EP Henry was giving him a problem and the were a pain to work with so he went with...shoot can't remember some italian sounding name...no matter. Anyhow...we found another place this past summer and started using them. Everything was going fine...so I thought. Called last week to place an order and he says he no longer will be selling EP Henry, he is now selling cambridge. I asked what the heck is going on...he just said EP Henry was giving him a very hard time and he didn't want to deal with the hassle anymore.

I could see if it was once...but three different, seperate companies telling me that they refuse to deal with EP Henry. I dunno, something sounds wrong. Funny thing is, I noticed home cheapo was selling EP Henry products. Think this might have anything to do with it??? I haven't tried using home cheapo for EP Henry products and I don't intend to start. Guess its EP's own problem.

Anyone else have/had similar issues with finding EP Henry suppliers.

fred pereira
11-25-2005, 01:25 AM
EP Henry, has been in the Home Depot's for a few months. They used to stock Grinnells.
I remember two years ago going to one of the local supply places and placing an order for 11 pallets of windsor block and paying 2.50 a block plus delivery. Long story short, toward the end of the job I needed some adhesive for the top cap and stopped at the Home Depot and there it was the same block 2.24 (WTF)...so I bought one and went back to the local guy and asked him to tell me what the difference was between the block at the Depot and theirs. He said there was'nt and that the reason was that they buy more of this style block then he did (.26x990= 257.40 again WTF). He eventually offered a credit for a pallet on my next order.
That same year at a trade show I saw one of the Grinnell reps. and ask why the pricing was like that. He rolled his eyes and said that there is an issue with the local suppliers and the Home Depot's.
So I guess the answer to your question is that if they did have talks something did not go well and Home Depot switched to EP Henery and probably is making it hard for the local suppliers to compete ?

Dirty Water
11-25-2005, 01:38 AM
Fred, the reasion home depot can undersell suppliers is because they will buy thousands of palletes of the product at a hugely discounted rate, and then spread it among many stores.

Its the way large retail works.

PurpHaze
11-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Uh, oh... could this thread turn into another WalMart thread like the one in the Off Topic forum? :p

Sounds like Home Depot is cornering the market, so to speak. They found a product they want to carry and by shear "buying power" will do it. Sometimes this works out to the exclusion of the smaller suppliers who can't compete with the price undercut. End users will have to decide whether to stick with their suppliers and use a different product (or the same product at a higher price) or go to the super retailers for the better price.

Gman2310
11-25-2005, 04:06 PM
I just attened a ICPI cert course and they had a tech rep from EP HENRY there and the guy from EP HENRY said that they will not be selling there prouducts in Home Depot after this year

LB1234
11-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Sorry gentlemen, didn't mean to turn this into a home ripoff thread...my apologies.

I'm trying to see if anyone else was having problems with the dealers for EP Henry. Specifically, if any of your LOCAL suppliers stopped 'supplying' EP Henry. Look, I'm not trying to bash EP Henry either. For the most part I've been happy with their product.

Again, its the three dealers we have a strong working relationship with that we use for other purchases (materials & equipment)...ALL of them had a problem with EP Henry. I'm just curious if it was a fluke (I strongly don't believe that) or it was EP Henry.

GMAN,

No matter. Too little too late. Seems like they owe a little damage control as well.

LB1234
02-20-2006, 11:10 AM
I just attened a ICPI cert course and they had a tech rep from EP HENRY there and the guy from EP HENRY said that they will not be selling there prouducts in Home Depot after this year

Well, ran into Home Depot yesterday to order about 60 Mesa Wall block (we had extra left over from a job and wanted to do something at our shop). Walked in CC in hand and the pro desk said "We don't carry them anymore." Asked why and basically said EP Henry couldn't keep up with the demand and was making them (HD) look bad with untimely orders.

Nothing like a business seeming to put themselves outta business.:hammerhead:

bigviclbi
02-20-2006, 02:12 PM
My supplier switched but it had to do with EP Henry being more expensive. Its better, that is why its more expensive.

cgland
02-20-2006, 04:52 PM
EP Henry is having some internal problems right now. Both from a personnel and a quality standpoint. I know they are trying to fix the quality issues and have spent a good buck to do so, as for the personnel issues....? They even shut down one of their plants for a week or so to fix some problems. I think they are starting to feel the heat from some of the other major players in the market. They can no longer sit on their a$$e$ and count their money!

Chris

LB1234
02-20-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm through with them. Not that I'm any type of big player or anything. But I am expenaded the business everyear and would like to get into the paver business.

I've heard more and more crappy stories about there dealer support...or lack thereof... Now people can say that it is that dealer having a problem, but it has been four specific companies that turned around and went with another company due to there 'attitude'. Vendors words, not mine.

Dreams To Designs
02-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Their support for the industry is second to none and their advertising in this area has been intense and unchallenged. If anyone attended MAHTS, you know that, but as Chris said, they are having some growing pains and are trying to work through it. The issues with dealers and many contractors is a reflection of poor control of their programs. They have many authorized contractors that are performing poorly and that is reflecting badly on them, us and pavers in general. They are aware and are doing everything they can to rectify the situation. But, as all of us know, it is tough to get a new customer, it is twice as hard to regain a customer that you have lost. Selling and installing SRW's and pavers is not for everyone, but that is the how they were trying to make it. Now it's time to pull back and analyze the strategy and step up to the plate with better support and even better product.

The competition has seen them falter and they all are ready to jump in and take over that market share. If the product from the other manufacturers is better and the support is there when we need it all at a reasonable price, that is good for us. That all remains to be seen. I have never been the biggest fan of EP Henry product, but must say I did a display for the NJ Flower show this past week with 600 sqft of Devon Stone, and I was impressed with the product. Now, we did not install it in the recommended fashion, as this was a temporary display, but the look was what I sought and it exceeded my expectations. While at MAHTS, I was also impressed by the new Via Roma, but not much else other than the Devon Stone products. Competition and variety are good in any industry and we all must take advantage of that. Not one product line will suit your every need, keep your options open and this could be a banner year for everyone in the hardscaping industry.

Kirk