PDA

View Full Version : Pricing on removing this tree/bush (picture)

Petr51488
11-22-2005, 09:56 PM
I quoted the lady 80.00 to take down this green bush. Do you think that was a good price? The town will take it away. i would have to bundle them up. Any ideas?

sicnj
11-22-2005, 10:05 PM
thats a good price to just bring in a chain saw. no chipping needed

sanfordandsonfan
11-22-2005, 10:06 PM
If the town will take it away, then I guess you just made yourself eighty bucks in less than an hour or so.

Precision
11-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Are you removing roots? If not, then $80 is fine. If yes then no way.

LB1234
11-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Personally I think it is too low of a price. Looks like you have power/telephone lines on the top of it...can't tell all that well from picture if they are 'in' the juniper(?). If it is a juniper they can give you a nasty rash...at least they do for us. Also, not much space to just fell the thing..you have existing trees (especially that jap maple) to contend with. IF you have to 'bundle' them for the township you are probablly going to be bundling for 30-45 minutes...of course this depends on the size of the bundles. i would figure another 30-45 minutes for just cutting the thing down and into pieces. I would charge about 65/hr for the chainsaw work and another 30/hr for the helper to bundle what I cut. Assuming an hour each I would figure about 100 bucks. Add in a fee bucks for expenses and the like since its a small job and tough to recover fuel costs over one man-hour...I would think 125-150 is more in the realm

olderthandirt
11-22-2005, 10:48 PM
about $200 less than I would charge

1MajorTom
11-22-2005, 11:13 PM
I agree with the time it will take to bundle that. When Matt saw that picture, he said, "no way, charge more than that. I wouldn't even waste my time bundling all of that. And I'd tack on a $25 dump fee and dump it myself, so I didn't have to bundle" (our dump is close by). It's more work than what you think once you get into it.

Petr51488
11-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the replys.. I will tackle whatever roots i can get to.. Im not going to go rent out a stump grinder.. ill just attack it with an ax.. As for the japenise maple.. i can just move that.. i would say maybe 40 minutes to take it down another 20 minutes at the stump.. and maybe less than an hour on bundling it.. She was kinda shocked when i told her 100.00 but i lowered it to 80 and told her that i would leave the brush there..

sheshovel
11-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Never lower your price,your gonna work for that 80 bucks.
Think your just gonna chop it right down with an axe huh?And your gonna cut it up with an axe too? I say it will probably take you about 3 hours,cuz you will have to watch out for her Rhodies and clean-up the huge mess your gonna make chopping it up with an axe.
$150.00 to 175.00
Have fun learning on this one,I would tell ya how to do it easy but I think you should do it your way 1st.

Green-Pro
11-23-2005, 12:12 AM
To low for me, I would be in the $200-250 range

qps
11-23-2005, 12:16 AM
I quoted the lady 80.00 to take down this green bush. Do you think that was a good price? The town will take it away. i would have to bundle them up. Any ideas?

looks like a over grown arb. she'll be yelling when she see's the hole you leave if you dig it out...I would scoop it out with the backhoe on the kubota and fill it and reseed it...these things always take three times longer than you est.

olderthandirt
11-23-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the replys.. I will tackle whatever roots i can get to.. Im not going to go rent out a stump grinder.. ill just attack it with an ax.. As for the japenise maple.. i can just move that.. i would say maybe 40 minutes to take it down another 20 minutes at the stump.. and maybe less than an hour on bundling it.. She was kinda shocked when i told her 100.00 but i lowered it to 80 and told her that i would leave the brush there..

I see your 18, No mortgage payment, no family and no family health ins premiums. Thats why its a waste of time to respond to a thread asking if the Price is Right, and I fell for it :angry:

hole in one lco
11-23-2005, 12:20 AM
Did you look at the base of the bush to see the size of the trunk. If you do it your way youll be there all day. if you had the tools you could be in and out in 30 min for 250.0

Tadams
11-23-2005, 12:23 AM
You are going to learn a valuable lesson on this job.

You bid it WAY too cheap. That is not gonna be an easy job.

Petr51488
11-23-2005, 09:19 AM
I see your 18, No mortgage payment, no family and no family health ins premiums. Thats why its a waste of time to respond to a thread asking if the Price is Right, and I fell for it :angry:

Yea, thanks for that useless reply. I may not even get the job. SHe might start it herself, realize that she wont be able to do it.. then shell call me..

stumper1620
11-23-2005, 09:25 AM
I would love to be there sitting on my grinder watching you "Just attack it with an axe" you need to learn a little about the type wood you are going to attack, thats one of the worst for grinding, soft, it don't chip it shreads and is very flexible, my grinder would be there for 10 miniutes or more depending on its size. then you still have to clean it up and repair any damaged lawn and landscape. What you have there is a 60 dollar stump all by itself without the tree or the clean up.

olderthandirt
11-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Yea, thanks for that useless reply. I may not even get the job. SHe might start it herself, realize that she wont be able to do it.. then shell call me..

Sonny you need to read my first reply BEFORE you said you were gonna "attack" the roots with an ax. It was after you listed all the work you were gonna do and lowered your price just hoping to get the job that I checked your age. And that explains why you would charge $80 and attack it with an ax :laugh:
If you don't get the job at $80 your potential clients a fool 2nd only to the person willing to do it for such a ridiculous price

nmurph
11-23-2005, 09:51 AM
first off i am not an lco. however, being raised on the farm i learned all kinds of ways to make this type of work easier. if you have a truck you can place a chain or HEAVY rope 6 or so feet off the ground and put some tension on the tree, then take your axe and start whacking at the roots a foot or so from the trunk. cut a root and tighten the rope. repeat. if you have someone to help you with moving the truck each time, you can get these two junipers out in 20 minutes. no truck???????? good luck if you are removing the rootball, too. lol
i do agree that you underbid yourself on this one. especially if you have to bundle and fill the hole, or you don't have a truck. then again, if you don't have any other work, $80 is more than you would make sitting at home playing on the x-box.

Petr51488
11-23-2005, 01:15 PM
then again, if you don't have any other work, $80 is more than you would make sitting at home playing on the x-box.

Don't have an x-box.. I work everyday.. this was allready a customer of mine and she asked for a little extra work. I know its going to take me 2 hours to do this. Maybe even 2 1/2 hours.. The stump is not wide at all.. the picture of the bush makes it look like the stump would be 3 feet. It's really nothing at all.. SHe doesn't want the hole filled, she said that she would take car of everything else herself. She just asked me to take down the bush and bundle it for her. I estimated that it would take 2 hours tops.. Ill let you know next week how long it took me.. and the finished picture..

nmurph
11-23-2005, 03:47 PM
sorry if that was a little stereotypical. congrats for having the drive to have your own business at 18 yoa. now, get up from the computer, hook that silverado up, tip that juniper over and start chopping.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL

Petr51488
11-23-2005, 03:53 PM
sorry if that was a little stereotypical. congrats for having the drive to have your own business at 18 yoa. now, get up from the computer, hook that silverado up, tip that juniper over and start chopping.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL

LOL Happy Thanksgiving to you too..and to all..

grassyfras
11-23-2005, 09:32 PM
I could cut it at the base cut it in 2 or 3 peices throw in truck and take it to my free dump site. I would charge 90-120 depending on the person. Friends neighbors or regular customers or call out of the blue.

RandyAndSons
01-24-2006, 04:18 AM
The way I would do it is cut the thing down and then move it to the side and take my shovel and dig a 4 inch hole around it then recut with chain saw get it below ground level and that’s it done load the tree in the trailer clean up mess and there done in less then an hr $100.00 plus dump fees