PDA

View Full Version : Aeration question or opinion

grass_cuttin_fool
11-22-2005, 10:28 PM
This is the last week of Nov and Im in zone 7, southern Va. We are starting to get enuff rain to do aeration now. Is it to late to do it? I was thinking this past spring was kinda dry here and this fall was a drought. If it doesnt hurt the turf I think it will help to loosen the soil some and allow the rain to soak in better. Any ideas?

Grassman6
11-22-2005, 11:57 PM
I've been waiting for more than 6 weeks for this drought to pass...3rd worst October on record here in middle TN. Daily temps now in the mid 40's and now that the tornados have passed I am aerating and seeding like crazy. Some yards need the Trac-Vac first, then dethatch and vacuum again, next aerate and seed during any month with the letter "r". Ever wonder why the farmers seed when the snow is on the ground ?

turfcobob
11-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Go for it guy...Studies done in recent years by some leading universities have shown that late fall even early winter aeration is good if not better than spriing. Late season allows the soil to work and move all winter so it is loose in the spring. Also late season fert is good at the same time. I have tried it and boy it jumps the grass in the spring. Grass was up and greener than the neighboring grass by about two weeks.

Old school thought used to be that the ground was opened up so there would be more winter kill but that just is not so. The benefits far outweigh the advantages..We aerate here in Nebr up to the first good freeze..

nocutting
11-23-2005, 01:04 PM
This is the last week of Nov and Im in zone 7, southern Va. We are starting to get enuff rain to do aeration now. Is it to late to do it? I was thinking this past spring was kinda dry here and this fall was a drought. If it doesnt hurt the turf I think it will help to loosen the soil some and allow the rain to soak in better. Any ideas?
Hello, if you have a lot of thatch or grass with surface roots than by all means do it.........

upidstay
11-23-2005, 02:14 PM
You have to love Mother Nature. You guys having a drought in October, and us here in CT had the wettest on record. It rained for 9 straight days, dumping 15.75" at my house!! Anyway, unless the grass is totally stressed, I'd poke some holes. You will be helpiong it in the long run.

lawn king
11-25-2005, 05:21 PM
We have several tractor aerations to perform this week, waiting for the soil to dry up some!

PSUturf
11-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Go for it. I've never seen any significant damage to any lawns that had open aerification holes going into winter. Maybe a little browning around the holes where the grass was thin or cut short but it disappears with spring green up. Golf course greens and fairways are a different story. Those holes should be closed up or grown over before the ground freezes.