PDA

View Full Version : Toro mulch kit vs gator blades and block off plate?

101numlock
11-24-2005, 10:48 AM
I have just started to use a 36" toro walk behind for leaf cleanup. I keep hearing people swear by the mulch kit. I was just wondering if anyone has tried both the gator blades and block off plate combo, and the mulch kit with the individual baffles for each blade. Is there any benefit to buying the kit or will i get the same performance from both. Thanks

Precision
11-24-2005, 11:22 AM
here is the basic idea. a discharge blocker only stops the debris at the exit stage. This means the left blade feeds the right blade which tries to eject the material but gets defeated by the blocker. This creates a big pileup of debris at the chute. Depending in volume of debris being cut, this may create a problem.

If you have minimal clippings, it will leave a light layer 2-4 inches wide at the blocker. May or may not be visible.

If you have a decent amount of clippings, blow out will be pretty bad and you will have a thick winrow of clippings at the blocker. Same 2-4 inch width, but quite thick and unsightly. This can usually be fixed with double cutting.

If you have tons of clippings, they will tend to be lifted by the blade and bundled in the right side of the deck until the either turf turd out or belch down from the deck. This looks horrible and cannot be fixed by double cutting.

A true mulching kit will make this much less of a problem. But once you overwhelm the mulch kit, you will be in the same turf turd situation.

So what you are really looking at from the mulch kit is an ability to go faster and with better results in more varied situations.

There are other factors as well. Like going with a negative deck pitch for dealing with leaves will help. using doubles or meg-mo blades will help.

Do a search, there is a ton of information on this.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Ok I dont have the same set up you do, but here is mine. I have a scag tiger cub Z. I have grass hog blades and an ASC (block off plate). In leaves it does ok, just like in the post above if you overwhelm it with too many then you just have a mess. I dont mulch yards, I just use the ASC too keep clippings from getting in mulch beds and sidewalks. I think the post above is right on the money, for leaves i would suggest a block off plate and gator blades, but if you plan to use it in grass also I would go with a mulch kit
wayne

LLandscaping
11-24-2005, 01:29 PM
We use gator blades and a block off plate on our Tiger Cubs during the fall. It does great on leaves but we take it off when we are cutting grass. Because the grass tends to build up on the discharge side. Grass_Cuttin_Fool did you have to drill holes in the deck of the Cub to mount the ACS?

grass_cuttin_fool
11-24-2005, 02:54 PM
We use gator blades and a block off plate on our Tiger Cubs during the fall. It does great on leaves but we take it off when we are cutting grass. Because the grass tends to build up on the discharge side. Grass_Cuttin_Fool did you have to drill holes in the deck of the Cub to mount the ACS?
Yes I did, was 2 or 3, I cant remember. It was painful to do to an almost new mower, but what it has saved and made me in 2 seasons was worth every hole.

LLandscaping
11-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the reply, I thought you would have to make additional holes.

Tonyr
11-24-2005, 06:08 PM
On my Toro, 60'' turbo force deck, I tried the gator blade/chute blocker combo, not satisfactory for me.

an OCDC however is a worthwhile investment!

The mulch kit I had for the toro had 'deflectors' or 'kickers' as they are called, meaning clumping was elliminated, even in the wet.

The toro mulch kit for this deck was awesome, kicking myself now I didn't keep it instead of buying a heat of garbage deere.

lawnboy dan
11-24-2005, 07:17 PM
i have both of these setups on my 32 toros.the new one has the factroy mulchkit -the 93 just a blockoff cover and gator. the old one is better at grass -the new one better for leaves but not in the same league for grass as the old. the gator setup wins.