PDA

View Full Version : Nematode Spreader

GemSon Lawn
11-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Can you use a regular fertilizer spreader, to apply nematodes? If not what will work best in the application? And they are activated by watering with a garden hose set on mist or a lawn sprinkler correct? Thanks A Bunch.

Eden's Gardener
11-26-2005, 12:27 AM
oh my gosh no - you don't apply nematodes in a fertilizer spreader sweetie. They are microscopic living organisms that should be in a moist medium such as a vermiculite/potting soil type base. They need to be kept cool - so they stay dormant - until ready for application - with water. I would be careful if using a sprayer to apply, as they can be too harsh with the water pressure. I usually take the end off my trombone type sprayer or other hand sprayer and then apply to a moist soil/grass. Use as much water as you need to for the area you are treating. (x no. of nematodes should cover x sq. ft.) Yes, and no to activated by the water. Kept alive until they can seek moister soil deeper down is more like it. The temp is what will "wake them up". Best bet is to apply late in the afternoon - when it gets cooler - or on an overcast day. I like to apply in the rain myself saves the watering in before and/or after-wards and you get a free shower :D

Have fun!

nocutting
11-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Can you use a regular fertilizer spreader, to apply nematodes? If not what will work best in the application? And they are activated by watering with a garden hose set on mist or a lawn sprinkler correct? Thanks A Bunch.
Hi, we have several "Nematode spreaders" avalible at a very fair price, all used but in good condition, perfect for lawns 1/2ac and under, 5-8 ft spread, 10gal. capacity,easy for 1 person to load and unload,very basic, wheel pumping system, parts readily avalible, and pics on request? [ just need your home e-mail address.We've up-graded and no longer use them]....intrested?, post a reply.......and Welcome to the site,:alien: :waving:

Eden's Gardener
11-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Wow! Ya'll are high tech, eh? Course spreading them over someone's flowerbeds is much easier, but I have not heard of an official "spreader" for the little buggers. I have a friend with some acreage, i may look into that for him. The alternative is a reg. sprayer and I'm afraid that would be a bit too harsh. :cry: ouch! I love this site.

nocutting
11-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Wow! Ya'll are high tech, eh? Course spreading them over someone's flowerbeds is much easier, but I have not heard of an official "spreader" for the little buggers. I have a friend with some acreage, i may look into that for him. The alternative is a reg. sprayer and I'm afraid that would be a bit too harsh. :cry: ouch! I love this site.
Its true a conventional sprayer is not gonna work, the pressure is far to great. ....and if you go to the trouble to keep them on cold pks and mix at every other house, you might as well have the right sprayer for the job.....I'm glad to see you use them in the flower beds "Congrats", it usally takes years before most figure that out.......I also pre fer rain days for my applications, nothing better...........but overcast, and early & late in the day are also workable, keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!:waving:

Eden's Gardener
11-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Heck, if those suckers would work on dust, I'd spray the house with them! I've used them out around the stalls, too, to control flies. Now, a different variety/species, but nematodes just the same. They are the best for fleas, nematodes and fire ants - long term! As I said, have a client/friend out in east tx we need to do something drastic with. We've been testing a greenlight organic bait with spinosad and I'm not thrilled yet. Tested broadcast versus mound by mound, but this place was infested BAD. The soil is so bad though, I'm not sure even nematodes could penetrate the compaction. I've got to work on him regarding molasses and making some manure tea. His cattle, the reason for the compaction, can supply him for free - if he'll go through the steps. I'm working on building his trust and I think if I can show him it works on a small area, he'll go for it on his whole place. But, yes, nematodes are the best! Thanks.

nocutting
11-28-2005, 01:49 AM
Heck, if those suckers would work on dust, I'd spray the house with them! I've used them out around the stalls, too, to control flies. Now, a different variety/species, but nematodes just the same. They are the best for fleas, nematodes and fire ants - long term! As I said, have a client/friend out in east tx we need to do something drastic with. We've been testing a greenlight organic bait with spinosad and I'm not thrilled yet. Tested broadcast versus mound by mound, but this place was infested BAD. The soil is so bad though, I'm not sure even nematodes could penetrate the compaction. I've got to work on him regarding molasses and making some manure tea. His cattle, the reason for the compaction, can supply him for free - if he'll go through the steps. I'm working on building his trust and I think if I can show him it works on a small area, he'll go for it on his whole place. But, yes, nematodes are the best! Thanks.
Nemas are great, I use them in a sanitation program for Barns as well and durein the late spring -fall for flea& tick control as well, Pet owners Love them:cool2:

Microbe
01-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Why would a regular sprayer not work for nematodes? I just can't drop the sponge or how ever they come into a Solo backpack and spray? What would be the difference since every sprayer has a good amount of PSI in order to spray? ya feel me?

nocutting
01-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Why would a regular sprayer not work for nematodes? I just can't drop the sponge or how ever they come into a Solo backpack and spray? What would be the difference since every sprayer has a good amount of PSI in order to spray? ya feel me?
Are you not reading the whole post again?:nono: .........Sure BK's are great, just use the lowest psi setting and adjust your nozzel open [ to increase your flow]..............Hay, "Congrats" on gettin your applicaters Lic.payup :waving:

Microbe
01-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Yea I always miss a thing or two when reading posts lol.