PDA

View Full Version : Professional Hand Tools

jkelton
11-26-2005, 09:00 AM
What types of professional landscape tools are you guys using? I am thinking about offering a line of pro hand tools (shovels, rakes, etc.) to our store, but I am not sure what brand to get. I have looked at Wolverine, Nupla, AM Leonard, and Seymour (Structron). What experience do you guys have with these manufacturers? Are there some others that I need to look at also? Any information you guys may have would be greatly appreciated.

AintNoFun
11-26-2005, 11:14 AM
sears, they are cheap and if they break i bring 'em back...

muddstopper
11-26-2005, 11:10 PM
I dont think I have ever worn out a shovel or rake, even the cheap ones. They just somehow seem to disappear. I just get mine at Homecheapo

hoskm01
11-28-2005, 12:41 AM
I use the structron line and have been very happy with them. Never any cracking or breaking. Haven't taken up any issues with the dealer or manufacturer so cant speak to the benefit there.

Dirty Water
11-28-2005, 01:09 AM
We use Bullhead sharpshooter shovels. They are the only ones we don't end up breaking.

LonniesLawns
11-28-2005, 11:29 AM
I have been using Histand shovels for years -- they are the bet I have found.
http://www.histandtools.com/default.asp

Plus -- I found when I wm working with a 60.00 shovel -- I never lose them. :)

Of course, you have to keep crew accountable when you give them good tools -- but they will appreciate it.

The Cowboy
11-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Wolverine makes one heck of a shovel. Solid steel too. I got 1 friend in IN who drove 70 miles to pick up a few; he couldnt find any locally. They are a bit heavy for me, I weigh 140 lbs, but for the bigger guys they blast through big roots like an ax, and are great for digging out stumps, transplanting trees, edging, whatever. I love mine, even though it takes some getting used to in early spring when my back is a bit weak. If there ever was a tool I need everywhere to do everything, this is it.
My cheaper tools I get at Sears; lifetime warranties.

gslawncare
11-29-2005, 03:12 PM
king of spades is the ultimate. for shovels. I think solid steel is the best way. yes there heavy but invinsible. Union/ razorback is a good brand too. These tools are expensive but worth every penny. I've jumped on the handle to pop up roots, spades are horrible for digging though. I bet k.o.s. makes a transfer or round point.

The most important thing to look pro is use the right shovel for the job. I had a helper who was digging holes for bushes with a transfer, you know the flat head shovel. He kept jumping on the damn thing and then started hacking into the ground with the edge. It took him about 15 min to dig a 5 gallon hole. I brought a spade and round point, dug it in 5 min and the kid thought I was Einstein. Use the right tool for the job. this story is like using a hammer for a screw.

jkelton
11-30-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks to all for your replies. Are there any other hand tools that you reccomend? I was looking at Felco and Corona pruners also.

LonniesLawns
11-30-2005, 10:53 AM
I give each crew member felcos at the beginning of the season -- if they lose those -- they get replaced with coronas

YardPro
12-06-2005, 07:23 AM
i like the nupla's
i issue a set to a crew and they are responsible for them....

as for hand pruners... felco's are the best.. that's all we buy. I have tried the corons'a and the felco copy's but they are not in the same class.

i issue one to eacs crew leader.

we also post a price list for the various tools so the people know what it will cost them to replace them.... makes them much more careful with them....