PDA

View Full Version : Pro Landscape software

mcwlandscaping
11-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Any of you guys use it. I sent away for some info on it and it seems to be a pretty nice program. Just wanted some opinons from those who have/use it. Don't know if this is the right place to put this thread. Thanks for replies, oh, i know how to use cad if that helps any. Thanks again,

Mike

Gilla Gorilla
11-26-2005, 01:48 PM
check out this thread that was started about Pro Landscape. There seems to be a lot of good opinions to read there along with mine.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=123637&highlight=pro+landscape

mcwlandscaping
11-26-2005, 06:07 PM
So much for that, i just realized how expensive it was, so i think ill wait till im more into that aspect of landscaping to make that invesment!! It was like $1200, WAY over what i thought or could afford, deffinatly seems like a good program though and will deffinatly look into it again when i need a program for that kind of work, thanks again

Mike

Gilla Gorilla
11-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Mike if you want some software to get you started for under a 100 bucks then try out the punch landscape software. I have never used it but It looks decent for the money.

http://www.punchsoftware.com/index.htm

allinearth
11-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Every year I consider a landscape design program. I am scared it would become a 1200 dust collector for me. For those of you that have this, how long did it take you to become proficient with this program? Or are you still learning? After the program is learned how long would an average front of house take to design?

leadarrows
11-29-2005, 08:56 AM
I had Punch and it was the junk. At least to me it was. I tried for weeks to figure it out. I use Beautiful Landscapes I got for less than ten bucks at Nothingbutsoftware.com Its about as basic a program as you could get but at least you can make it work. Punch is just too confusing. If I ever get really into landscapes I would like to have Pro Landscape software but it's too pricey for me as well. Really though the more advise about landscape design work I read the more I'M leaning toward getting a professional designer involved. I have some good ideas on landscape design but I lack the training to know for sure what works sometimes. Sure simple designs, we all could do, but large scale ....I think at least some schooling would be a great advantage. I think if you can't picture the basic design in your head first your going to spend a lot of time on trial and error even with the best landscape design software.

Dreams To Designs
11-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Mike, It is an excellent program, but takes quite a bit of time to learn and master. As you said, it is a great deal of money. With any software program, you will spend much more time than you thought to get proficient, and if you want training, that will cost more than the software. If you are looking to impress clients and sell jobs, look for a local free lance designer to work with. The designs will cost you, but nothing of quality is normally free. The most important thing you need to realize is the software is not a design tool, but simply a drawing and presentation tool. The 3D imaging is great to allow your clients to understand what you are trying to accomplish. The plan mode is very time consuming and doesn't necessarily make anyone's life easier. Many contractors do not understand plans and most of the homeowners will only think of it as a pretty picture. You do need quality detailed plans for installation, but for presentation, 3D imaging a plant and materials information will go a lot further.

EW, do you refer to the 2D planning mode or the 3D imaging? The design is done in your head or on scratch paper, the software is just a digital pencil in plan mode and pretty picture presentation tool in 3D imaging. I use multiple 3D imaging programs to create my presentations and include information from Horticopia for plants, whether prints for smaller jobs or I'll burn CDs for larger designs. I also include any information and pictures of hardscaping and any other non-plant elements I intend on using for the design. Poor design skills and improper plant selection will be magnified with any software you choose.

Kirk