PDA

View Full Version : Lawn installation methods

tractrpowr45
11-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi, I am starting my own landscaping business next spring and I have a some questions about lawn installation. First of all, is it feasible to rake the ground with a landscape rake for preparation or do I need to use a harley rake or rockhound? Second, I was thinking of broadcast seeding grass seed and then packing it down with a roller. Would that work or should the lawn be hydroseeded or use a slit seeder? Also, do you soil test and spread fertilizer before planting grass seed? What equipment do you other landscapers own/operate. Can you install lawns all season? Also, does anyone lay sod and seed and what percent of your jobs do you lay sod versus plant seed? Thanks for your time and advice.:)

gslawncare
11-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Most customers show you the spots that need grass. That means they want grass, aka sod. sod is the best. more expensive, but would you want your dog to run around in the mud? sod seems to be what everyone around hear uses. overseeding is good for patchy lawns or after power raking, but it just takes so long, and you have to water just as much.

Lawnworks
11-29-2005, 04:22 PM
I love harley rakes. I discourage seeding, but I think southern grasses are different than what you have.