PDA

View Full Version : pavers

hewitt64
03-29-2001, 04:24 PM
to those who do brick pavers, do you guys cut soilder course on curved sidewalks or do you leave gaps?

Stonehenge
03-29-2001, 05:20 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~stonehengebpl/Taake.jpg

I'm not sure I understand your question, but does this answer it?

steveair
03-29-2001, 05:53 PM
Hello,

I think what you are asking is, "what do you do when the soldier course goes around a sharp turn and leaves pie shaped gaps between the bricks?"

It this is the question, then yes, I cut pavers to fill in gaps.

I usually will cut pie shaped pieces for any gap over a 1/4 inch or so. On sharp turns, the gaps are large, so definitely need to fill them in. The sand will wash out in no time, especially considering it washes out of the soldier row with out any help anyways.

Some guys cut the pavers, angling both sides, around turns. I've always just used full ones, and then cut pieces to fill the gaps.

Hope this helps.

Nice work by the way stonehenge.

steveair

paul
03-29-2001, 06:54 PM
We pie cut our pavers so we leave no gaps, don't know how many times I see gaps in a paver job but it burns me that they leave them like that, just doesn't look right!

Nice work Stonehenge

diginahole
03-29-2001, 09:05 PM
I am of the other opinion on this one, I like the gaps better than the pies!

Rex Mann
03-29-2001, 09:38 PM
I am with Diginahole. I'd rather see the gaps.

Rex

Stonehenge
03-29-2001, 10:16 PM
Now that I know what the question is, I'm going to ride the fence.

Some projects look right with gaps. Some look right cut. I always do all of one or all of the other on any one project, but I do it each way.

As a side note, I've seen some companies cut off just one side for this. I always cut both sides off equally, so that it's a smoother soldier line.

kermit
03-30-2001, 07:14 PM
The only time gaps are acceptable are in stones with gaps like Unilocks Brussel's or Classico, leaving gaps in pavers like Hollandstone looks SO amateurish. I love to see my competition leaving gaps so I can send potential customers to see their work. Helps me sell jobs.

Lanelle
03-30-2001, 11:24 PM
I prefer to see the soldier course pieces cut to fit the curve, but no tiny pie-slivers either. Stonehenge, is your pictured project showing the outer course with square pavers or pavers set as a stringer course? Looks nice, whatever it is.

Stonehenge
03-31-2001, 01:01 PM
Lanelle,

They're square. The product is by Bend, called Chateau Stone. It's a lot like Unilock's Cortina.

That wasn't a big project, but we had fun. It was a Parade home (like homearama), and the builder just called and said - we have $X for a budget. Do something that'll look good for that $$.

steveair
03-31-2001, 06:35 PM
Hello,

Whether or not the gaps look better filled in or not, I still say you need to fill the larger gaps in or cut the pavers on both sides to make the turn. (in agreement with the notion that cutting both sides is much more professional than one side, also when it relates to capping walls)

Big gaps will not hold sand for long, and you are just looking for problems later on down the road. Edges will sink in quick. Also, it is a EASY place for grass to work into off of the lawn (and it will) or an easy place for weeds to germinate.

Also, from a liability standpoint, what happens if poor old Miss Johson walks down the path in high hills one day and happens to veer towards the edge. You can laugh, but it is a concern.

Only time I would say not to is if it is a very large, tumbled paver that already is gapped naturally. Still, I think gaps should be kept as little as possible.

steveair