PDA

View Full Version : Help with F-450

edcolo
11-27-2005, 10:54 PM
I have a 2005 F-450, last week I got a WATER IN THE FUEL warning, I run the truck for 3 days with the warning light on. At the 3rd day I drained the filter located underneath the truck on the body frame and pour a pint of CRC diesel system conditioner (water remover)in the fuel tank. The light "warning" disapear. During those 3 days I was running the truck with the contaminated fuel, I installed a snowplow on the truck with all the electrical harnesses, just after I connected them, the speedometer and the odometer stopped working.

Right now the truck runs but has limited power going up hill, The truck is automatic and going downhill and on flat ground runs fine, but going up hill does not downshift and to get that extra juice going up. It goed up very slowly.
I checked the 5-10-15-20 amp fuses, they are all fine; there are a few relay and special fuses I could not check.

The questions are:
Is it related to the speedometer/odometer not working?
Is it related to the plow setup?
Is it related to the 'water in the fuel'?
Were the injectors damage during those 3 days?
Is there a fuse for the speedometer somewhere?

Any help is appreciated?

Ed

Gilla Gorilla
11-27-2005, 11:12 PM
The injectors have titanium in them so the chances of them getting worn out are slim.

The water in fuel light sounds like it will be resolved with the revised fuel bowl housing and or sensor, I am pretty sure that it was the whole fuel bowl housing that Ford redesigned but not sure if the 2005's needed the updated part or already have them.

The poor power very well could be tied into the inop speedo/odometer, if the fuses are good then you would probably be best to take it into your local dealership to get it checked out.

There is no sense chasing your tail on this one unless you are a Ford diesel technician or VERY familiar with these trucks and 6 liter engines.

Good luck and let us know what you or the dealership find out.

Smalltimer1
11-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Make sure your dealer has a competent diesel tech trained specifically on the 6.0--this has caused many people headaches in dealing with the 6.0's as a lot of the techs now are only trained on the 7.3 PSD's.

Not sure if your F-450 would be affected by the wiring harness recall or not, but that would seem to be a likely candidate for such trouble.

Either way you've got that 100k/5 yr. warranty--don't be afraid to use it--unless you've got a chip in it!

rbriggs
11-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Sounds like the fuel sedamentor needs replacement. I had the same problem on our 2003 F450. When that light comes on, get it replaced, and use good fuel.
In the winter (depending on the temps in your region), be sure to add an anti gel to the fuel regularly to prevent the diesel from gelling up. Also, be sure to drain the bowl often.
Just my two cents.

Smalltimer1
11-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Sounds like the fuel sedamentor needs replacement. I had the same problem on our 2003 F450. When that light comes on, get it replaced, and use good fuel.
In the winter (depending on the temps in your region), be sure to add an anti gel to the fuel regularly to prevent the diesel from gelling up. Also, be sure to drain the bowl often.
Just my two cents.

I have heard that if your repairs are fuel quality related, that in some cases, you can force the gas station to foot the bill. The dealer at home has done it to the gas station next to them before from what the tech told me. Not sure about how you would go about doing it but that's just a thought.

edcolo
11-28-2005, 11:12 AM
The fuses I have not been able to check ALL the fuses, As I stated before, I check all the 5-10... 25 amp fuses, but there are some special fuses in the two boxes I could not check.

I just talk to my regular car mechanic, he said, it couil be the governor that went bad, He advised to take it to the dealer.

Thanks all for the feedback, it seems, it has nothing to do with the injectors which were my main concern.

Ed

rbriggs
11-28-2005, 11:28 AM
As for the fuses, you are correct. We had the same problem with fuses a year or so ago. The directionals wouldn't work. Took it to our regular mechanic who couldn't find a problem. and thought it was a short. Took the truck to the dealer and they fixed it in a fewminutes. In our model (2003) they are located down behind the cab someplace.

Jpocket
12-01-2005, 08:36 PM
I have a 2005 F-450, last week I got a WATER IN THE FUEL warning, I run the truck for 3 days with the warning light on. At the 3rd day I drained the filter located underneath the truck on the body frame and pour a pint of CRC diesel system conditioner (water remover)in the fuel tank. The light "warning" disapear. During those 3 days I was running the truck with the contaminated fuel, I installed a snowplow on the truck with all the electrical harnesses, just after I connected them, the speedometer and the odometer stopped working.

Right now the truck runs but has limited power going up hill, The truck is automatic and going downhill and on flat ground runs fine, but going up hill does not downshift and to get that extra juice going up. It goed up very slowly.
I checked the 5-10-15-20 amp fuses, they are all fine; there are a few relay and special fuses I could not check.

The questions are:
Is it related to the speedometer/odometer not working?
Is it related to the plow setup?
Is it related to the 'water in the fuel'?
Were the injectors damage during those 3 days?
Is there a fuse for the speedometer somewhere?

Any help is appreciated?

Ed
It's a brand new truck take it to the dealer and let them worry about it. It wouldn't be my problem.

UNISCAPER
12-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Ford is having serious trouble with the variable pitch turbos they chose to install. There are only 3 manufacturers of turbo chargers in the country, and I'm thinking it is whatever batch run from the brand they chose to make the parts for them.
My friend lost his third one in 5 months, he had just gotten the truck out of the shop with a turbo being replaced when we were driving home from the desert last weekend. Along with the water in fuel light he also is getting black smoke from the pipe occasionally, loss of power/shifting as you describe, and occasionally a popping from the intake.

When the turbo starts going, the water in fuel light is the first thing that happens.

Not saying this is your situation, but of the 12 families around our camp fire this weekend, 5 had 6.0 Ford trucks. 3 of them have lost at least one turbo.

Next time for my buddy he is lemon lawing the truck but what is significant with his situation is his truck is simply a toy and he does not have to make his living with it.