PDA

View Full Version : Pull Weeds

MJM landscaping
11-28-2005, 07:45 PM
This mulch was put in by someone else this spring. This was a few months later maybe 2.

MJM landscaping
11-28-2005, 07:46 PM
and then after a little weed pulling and my 1 ton filled...

jblawns123
11-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Are you sure that wasn't some type of ground cover?

You didn't edge??

I love the upside down L's for 7's

MJM landscaping
11-28-2005, 08:21 PM
All they wanted was to see the mulch again. No edge, another company mows it.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-29-2005, 12:42 AM
Did you put weed fabric down? If not it will happen again and guess who they will be coming back to for answers.

garth1967
11-29-2005, 05:11 AM
is that same weed in the grass as well

TURFLORD
11-29-2005, 06:31 AM
It's a commercial site. It's obvious from the pic they don't spend anything extra on the 'scaping. The regular lco couldn't pull weeds?;) They're pretty damn cheap if they wouldn't pay for edging and a little pre and post.

SodKing
11-29-2005, 06:39 AM
It's a commercial site. It's obvious from the pic they don't spend anything extra on the 'scaping. The regular lco couldn't pull weeds?;) They're pretty damn cheap if they wouldn't pay for edging and a little pre and post.

He is probably not licensed.

MJM landscaping
11-29-2005, 03:44 PM
No i didnt put weed fabric down. I didnt do the initial mulch job all they called me to do was "pull all the weeds." I said okay and sent them the bill.

Runner
11-30-2005, 10:51 PM
You should tell them..."For x amount, I will keep that bed weed free for you all year."

sildoc
12-01-2005, 01:36 AM
I have a few very well know industry accounts that will only pay for one time cleanups. once every quarter they call me and I go in and bid 3 times higher than if it would have been done every week. You just can't get it through their heads. 99 a month or 500 a quarter. You go figure. 1200 or 2000. fills the pocket though.
Weed barrier is worthless. most bark breaks down and weeds grow ontop of the barrier any ways. Why waste your time and their money, just to look like a jack ass any ways.
pre and post emergents are the key.

work_it
12-01-2005, 01:42 AM
I agree with the weed barrier being worthless. Also take into consideration the slope of the mulched area. If you put down landscape fabric you may also have problems with the mulch staying put during heavy storms.

Brianslawn
12-01-2005, 03:03 AM
You should tell them..."For x amount, I will keep that bed weed free for you all year."

You should tell them..."For x amount, I will sit back and laugh at your current mow joe!!!

HHH
12-07-2005, 07:14 PM
That looked like horse tail. No fabric no fix. Unless someone has a magic potion for horse tail.

YardPro
12-11-2005, 08:39 AM
i agree with not using weed fabric.. i used to use it religiously.. then in 99 i merged with another company and that owner refused to use it on his accounts.. i started the legnth of time the fabric helped with weeds on my client's new work vs. his clients new work..... very little difference.....

good heavy pre m works so much better.

RyanD
12-13-2005, 07:51 AM
I am currently studying for my pesticide license test in February. Having said that, I had a question regarding the "pre" and "post." Is the pre applied to the existing ground cover before you install new mulch? Or is it a preimmergent (sp?) applied after mulch is put down?

YardPro
12-13-2005, 07:33 PM
pre emergent
and post emergent

pre is used to prevent the weeds from ever coming up.... post is for after they come up...

RyanD
12-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks yard pro, but what I am asking is if it is applied to soil (old mulch) before new mulch is installed or is it applied to new mulch once installed. Sorry to hijack the thread... seemed kinda relevant.

TURFLORD
12-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Thanks yard pro, but what I am asking is if it is applied to soil (old mulch) before new mulch is installed or is it applied to new mulch once installed. Sorry to hijack the thread... seemed kinda relevant.
Apply immediately before mulching. Edge,pull big weeds,trim, and rake up first. The new mulch will absorb too much of the app. Be careful of where you step, your feet will lift the app and move to where you walk. Customers will complain about those dead "ghost" spots in the lawn.:rolleyes: