PDA

View Full Version : What does BRICKMAN do with leaf clean-up

gslawncare
11-29-2005, 04:46 PM
What does BRICKMAN do with their leaf removal? vacuum, rake, bag? anyone ever watched?

korelandscaping
11-30-2005, 12:06 AM
In my area they haul them out. I plow a condo that they landscape for and the leaves haven't been touched yet? I bid for the maintanance contract two years running and have not been able to compete. I'm sure I'll be asked again next year and the results will be the same. The only plus side is I sand the hell out of the condo so they must love me come sand clean up time! I noticed that their full services contracts get straight salt opposed to sand salt mix....makes alot of sense.

NNJLandman
11-30-2005, 12:25 AM
They have truck loaders mounted on the trailers necks.

Jeff

jt5019
11-30-2005, 02:07 AM
Saw one of their trucks around here... they had the leaf vac on the back of a rack body truck and a canvas type tarp over the top of it.

Ramairfreak98ss
11-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Is brickman all over the place? i alway see tons of those dirty lookin brown ford trucks lol

troy03
11-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Ive seen them mulching leaves at one property, havent seen how they handle them at the other properties for the same business in my area.

alwaysgreener
11-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Is brickman all over the place? i alway see tons of those dirty lookin brown ford trucks lol

Brickman is nationwide... But Truegreen is still #1 with numbers

POPO4995
11-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Can't say that I have seen them in my neck of the woods....maybe thats good!:D

alwaysgreener
11-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Can't say that I have seen them in my neck of the woods....maybe thats good!:D

Yea they are everywhere in IL Chicago all the way to Galena and downstate..It is funny to see 10 to 12 trucks stuffed with people and huge trailers going down the road..can u say convoy :p

Husky05
11-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Brickman is a nationwide company when I was at Penn State I went to numerous college fairs they were always heavy recruits for jobs. I live in Pittsburgh and actually looked into a possible employment career with them. They wanted me to relocate to one of thier many locations in Virgina and accept a job on the fieldcrew making about 27K a year. Didnt really sound to appealing to me considering I could have very easily gotten that same job without a college degree. They said I would have to work 12-18 months on the field crew to move into a foreman/managment position. Even then I would have only been looking at like 30-33K. I guess once you are established into the company you start making some good money. But in my personal situation I just expanded my own little business and think it was for the better.

Ramairfreak98ss
12-01-2005, 12:51 AM
Yea they are everywhere in IL Chicago all the way to Galena and downstate..It is funny to see 10 to 12 trucks stuffed with people and huge trailers going down the road..can u say convoy :p

yeah the ones i see have 4-8~ man crews, i mean how many people can you stuff in a 4 door ford truck? and they DO have these massive trailers, big dump f350s etc, do they only cut LARGE lawns? i need to pickup accounts where they cut.

windshadow
12-01-2005, 06:14 AM
I worked for brickman in the 80ts. I drove truck for them at that time there main office was in long grove IL. they were also the largest land scape architect firm in the world. I wish that I would have stayed on with them at the time they were a great company to work for.

alwaysgreener
12-01-2005, 08:52 AM
yeah the ones i see have 4-8~ man crews, i mean how many people can you stuff in a 4 door ford truck? and they DO have these massive trailers, big dump f350s etc, do they only cut LARGE lawns? i need to pickup accounts where they cut.

Most of there work is large commercial property..BUT they also do residential , they do a lot of residential in Sun City Del Web and on a very tiny lot you will see 4 guys on it 2 mowing one in front 48" one in back 54" 1 trimmer and then 1 blower. they are on and off in about 4 min its funny to see. Customers hate that, thats why they lose so many residential lots.

Ramairfreak98ss
12-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Most of there work is large commercial property..BUT they also do residential , they do a lot of residential in Sun City Del Web and on a very tiny lot you will see 4 guys on it 2 mowing one in front 48" one in back 54" 1 trimmer and then 1 blower. they are on and off in about 4 min its funny to see. Customers hate that, thats why they lose so many residential lots.

yeah, sooner or later they feel theyre paying $30-$45 for 5 minutes worth of work lol. I ONCE had a account, all year i cut this guys lawn for $40 with a 21" mower, the neighbor wanted me to do his as well for the rest of the season for $35, i said yeah great. The ahole from next door comes over with 4 guys, tells the guy hell do it for $20 and in 10 minutes hes done, ..me still pushin the 21" around the other lot lol. Anyway the guy just didnt want me to get the account so he told him $20 knowing i wouldnt be so cheap. Im sure he didnt keep cutting it for that much, hell i wont cut anything in that area even now with a 61" mower for under $30 if im on that machine.

alwaysgreener
12-01-2005, 10:10 AM
yeah, sooner or later they feel theyre paying $30-$45 for 5 minutes worth of work lol. I ONCE had a account, all year i cut this guys lawn for $40 with a 21" mower, the neighbor wanted me to do his as well for the rest of the season for $35, i said yeah great. The ahole from next door comes over with 4 guys, tells the guy hell do it for $20 and in 10 minutes hes done, ..me still pushin the 21" around the other lot lol. Anyway the guy just didnt want me to get the account so he told him $20 knowing i wouldnt be so cheap. Im sure he didnt keep cutting it for that much, hell i wont cut anything in that area even now with a 61" mower for under $30 if im on that machine.

I here ya..I have Brickmans 2006 lawn packages pricing and there is no way I could come close to that. It's all about supply and demand and they have the army to do it for less and still make money.It's just amazing how much the customer is getting for this price. I don't want to hand it out to the public because to many people know me from Brickman, but I will tell you after breaking down the contract they are cutting for less than $20.00
Just to hard to compete with that.

alwaysgreener
12-01-2005, 10:10 AM

I here ya..I have Brickmans 2006 lawn packages pricing and there is no way I could come close to that. It's all about supply and demand and they have the army to do it for less and still make money.It's just amazing how much the customer is getting for this price. I don't want to hand it out to the public because to many people know me from Brickman, but I will tell you after breaking down the contract they are cutting for less than $20.00
Just to hard to compete with that.

windshadow
12-01-2005, 10:12 AM
I checked out your web site nice job.My dad lives in crystal lake il I used to live in grays lake and wood stock take care bill

alwaysgreener
12-01-2005, 10:33 AM
I checked out your web site nice job.My dad lives in crystal lake il I used to live in grays lake and wood stock take care bill

Thank you..still needs work but thats what winter is for. :rolleyes: I do some commercial work out in Crystal Lake and yea of course Brickman is there as well :realmad: If your dad ever needs anything I would be glad to offer good guy prices for you.

neversatisfiedj
12-01-2005, 11:21 AM
They are here in MD

DLCS
12-01-2005, 03:39 PM
I was just driving through downtown Chicago on Clark Street. I counted 4 Brinkman trucks in a 3 block area. They were just pruning trees and cleaning up leaves on the sidewalks, no grass around there. I'd love to have one of their trucks. They do have some nice equipment.

alwaysgreener
12-01-2005, 04:05 PM
I was just driving through downtown Chicago on Clark Street. I counted 4 Brinkman trucks in a 3 block area. They were just pruning trees and cleaning up leaves on the sidewalks, no grass around there. I'd love to have one of their trucks. They do have some nice equipment.

Wow you were a long way from home ..doing a lawn bid :p Do you see any of Brickmans army in Sterling? I have family that live in Sterling, that area has grown.

DLCS
12-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Wow you were a long way from home ..doing a lawn bid :p Do you see any of Brickmans army in Sterling? I have family that live in Sterling, that area has grown.

I wish I was there for a lawn bid. My son had surgery at Children's hospital so we have to take him up there often.

I haven't seen any Brickman trucks in Sterling but I heard they have bid on some jobs recently in the Sterling area. Sterling had been growing alot but has slowed way down on growth in the last couple of years.

windshadow
12-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Thank you..still needs work but thats what winter is for. :rolleyes: I do some commercial work out in Crystal Lake and yea of course Brickman is there as well :realmad: If your dad ever needs anything I would be glad to offer good guy prices for you.
thaks for the offer my dad lives in a town house so he is set but thanks anyway.

Petr51488
12-01-2005, 05:32 PM

Yea, i was thinking the same thing.. the did do a pretty nice job on a house by me..

alwaysgreener
12-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Yea, i was thinking the same thing.. the did do a pretty nice job on a house by me..

Yes they do very good work..It's nice to have 5 guys on one tree ring.:D But really they do very good work. But as far as mowing,trimming and clean up..well they need some work in that area.

Boycea
12-03-2005, 02:23 AM
These are some pictures of some of Brickman's older equipment being auctioned off on ebay:

Boycea
12-03-2005, 02:25 AM
And again. If I recall correctly these mowers are from one of their many locations. Not a bad setup :dizzy:

alwaysgreener
12-03-2005, 06:06 AM
And again. If I recall correctly these mowers are from one of their many locations. Not a bad setup :dizzy:

They have used those pics on EBAY for last 2 years. Yes they have many hubs all over the place. It must be nice to have that kind of money to buy whatever and whenever they want. payup

Ramairfreak98ss
12-03-2005, 11:35 AM
They have used those pics on EBAY for last 2 years. Yes they have many hubs all over the place. It must be nice to have that kind of money to buy whatever and whenever they want. payup

damn, thats a lotta shiat! they must have 20+ crews daily out in the field then?

CrewCutEnterprises
12-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Ok, well always greener will back me up on this i think.

Brickman is based out of gaithersburg MD??

They have a hub in Lanham md with about 38 to 40 f550 crew cabs with 10 to 12 ft stake dumps. They pull 24' haulmark or pace trailers with 7000 lb axels. (12000) gvw. They run exmark and scag, and i believe they run 2 z's and 2 walkbehinds per trailer depending on size of accounts for the crew..

Imagine that, 40 trucks, towing 24' trailers. from one hub. In lanham md

They probably have over 700 or more trucks nationwide, and thats a guess.

mcwlandscaping
12-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Ive never heard of BRICKMAN until i heard about them on this site.

ed2hess
12-03-2005, 09:53 PM
They are in Texas.... But TruGreen has 10 trailers to every Brickman in our area.

alwaysgreener
12-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Ok, well always greener will back me up on this i think.

Brickman is based out of gaithersburg MD??

They have a hub in Lanham md with about 38 to 40 f550 crew cabs with 10 to 12 ft stake dumps. They pull 24' haulmark or pace trailers with 7000 lb axels. (12000) gvw. They run exmark and scag, and i believe they run 2 z's and 2 walkbehinds per trailer depending on size of accounts for the crew..

Imagine that, 40 trucks, towing 24' trailers. from one hub. In lanham md

They probably have over 700 or more trucks nationwide, and thats a guess.

I got your back...Yea they have a ton of stuff for one hub..now think about this they have many hubs that are larger than Lanham... just crazy to even think about it...

alwaysgreener
12-03-2005, 10:12 PM
They are in Texas.... But TruGreen has 10 trailers to every Brickman in our area.

Here are the locations..I wish this was Always Greener...Someday

http://www.brickmangroup.com/locations/

CrewCutEnterprises
12-04-2005, 01:43 AM
I dont know if i would want to be that big... I know a guy who sends out 40 crews a day. and well. its alot of headache. I kinda want to get to a point where i can pay cash for all equipment and have it all profit.

in gross rev, trugreen is number 1 with 1.2 bill and i think brickman is #2 or 3 with 500 mil, thats alot of money

AintNoFun
12-04-2005, 02:58 AM
I dont know if i would want to be that big... I know a guy who sends out 40 crews a day. and well. its alot of headache. I kinda want to get to a point where i can pay cash for all equipment and have it all profit.

in gross rev, trugreen is number 1 with 1.2 bill and i think brickman is #2 or 3 with 500 mil, thats alot of money

nothing for nothing if someone has 40 crews and doesn't have the proper management to run it and has headaches hes doing something wrong....

Boycea
12-04-2005, 05:25 AM
Brickman is nationwide... But Truegreen is still #1 with numbers

Not only is Brickman nationwide, but according to this article they are international. It says they did work for the 2000 Olympics in Australia, the 2004 baseball field for the Olympics in Greece, and will be doing the 2008 Olympics in Beijing

http://www.athleticturf.net/athleticturf/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=95091

CrewCutEnterprises
12-04-2005, 10:56 AM
nothing for nothing if someone has 40 crews and doesn't have the proper management to run it and has headaches hes doing something wrong....

No matter if you have someone in charge or management, in charge or sales, in charge or formans etc.

It still comes down to you being # one, when you employ 80 or more employees, those people need YOUr company to provide work so they can feed their families, unless you only care about yourself, then your good to go.

Either way, it think it just gets worse as you grow, to an extent.

Tony Clifton
12-04-2005, 11:02 AM
BOYCEA, I remember reading that article, I am pretty sure that they send people from their athletic field division over to do the work. I guess that is international in a sense but they do not already have locations overseas.

alwaysgreener
12-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Not only is Brickman nationwide, but according to this article they are international. It says they did work for the 2000 Olympics in Australia, the 2004 baseball field for the Olympics in Greece, and will be doing the 2008 Olympics in Beijing

http://www.athleticturf.net/athleticturf/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=95091

Yes that is what I meant...they do everything..Heres a story..tonight we were plowing and of course Brickman and there army were also out. Well we have 6trucks plowing on this one street and along comes (I counted and laughed and thought I can't wait to tell you guys) 22 skid loaders in line going back to the shed it was funny to see ,all my guys right away got on the nextel just laughing. So yes they do everything and do it in a BIG way..

Tony Clifton
12-04-2005, 02:07 PM
That is awesome,,,were you laughing because it seemed overkill or because of the power they have. I wuold love to be a part of something that large,,,,I work on it everyday but know that my company will never be that big(nor do I want it to be), but it would be neat to lives and try to grow something like that

alwaysgreener
12-05-2005, 08:39 AM
That is awesome,,,were you laughing because it seemed overkill or because of the power they have. I wuold love to be a part of something that large,,,,I work on it everyday but know that my company will never be that big(nor do I want it to be), but it would be neat to lives and try to grow something like that

We were laughing because of both things :D ..Brickman does it right when they do something. Yea they had all those skid loaders out there but they also had about 70 guys with shovels to clear sidewalks and porch areas seeing them waiting at a corner to get picked up is something else to see. It's just hard to compete with that. They have the power and the man power to do tons of work at cheaper prices and make a profit its just incredible. I know a lot of people with Brickman (formens, field workers, office support) and they think i'm doing good because they see me everywhere and that is a big compliment. I'm not even a little close to Brickmans size and I don't want to be. Thats why I refer them as the "Brickman army" they are huge.

LawnGuy68
12-21-2005, 10:39 AM
I work for a company here in Ohio which Brickman is our competition.#1 company is GroundMasters then Brickman then our company ProLawn ProScape.We all in this area do same blow mulch and suck leaves away with leaf truck.