PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Stihl Chainsaw

Gilla Gorilla
11-29-2005, 09:08 PM
My father in law is looking to get a bigger chain saw and is looking at the Huskvarna 359 model versus the Stihl 361. I am pushing towards the Stihl and I think he is leaning that way also. They both have the decompresion valve but the Stihl has .5bhp more then the Husky. He wants to put a 24" bar on it, the Stihl website recommends a 20" bar at most but my dealer said a 24" will fit and work fine.

I am curious to see if any one on here is using or has used a 361 and how did you like it?

polecat63
11-30-2005, 09:16 AM
What are you going to use it for? I have a Stihl 044 (now called the 440 I think) and couldn't be happier with it. If it's something he'll use fairly often then the bigger saw might be better, heck, even if he doesn't I would still recommend he spend a little extra and get the 440. And stihl only recommends a max 20" bar with the 361.

Oldtimer
11-30-2005, 02:00 PM
The best choice would be the MS460.

dvmcmrhp52
11-30-2005, 06:17 PM
I think a 24" bar would be a bit much for that model Stihl but a 20" should do fine.
It really depends what you're going to do with it.

Gilla Gorilla
11-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Most of the time the MS361 will see trees in the 12" to 20 inch range but he does have a lot of trees that get up to 28" to 32" in diameter towards the bottom. Those bigger trees are blocking access to areas where the smaller wood that he wants to split are.

dvmcmrhp52
11-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Most of the time the MS361 will see trees in the 12" to 20 inch range but he does have a lot of trees that get up to 28" to 32" in diameter towards the bottom. Those bigger trees are blocking access to areas where the smaller wood that he wants to split are.

So you're cutting firewood?
If it's not being sold and only for personal use you'd be fine with it but I'd still go with a 20" bar. If it's for selling firewood I'd probably go with a bit more horsepower.

Gilla Gorilla
11-30-2005, 08:38 PM
Yes Dave it is firewood he will be cutting. The one thing that I noticed when comparing the two saws is Husqvarna says you can go with a bar up to 24" in length but Stihl only is 20". Both of these saws are the same cc size but the
Stihl is .5bhp more. Just something I noticed.

nmurph
12-08-2005, 01:42 PM
G.G.---.5hp is a difference that will definitely be felt when you rip into 36" trees. stihl is generally conservative when you look at their ratings. however, if stihl doesn't reccomend a 24" bar, i'm not sure that a saw with .5hp less will pull a 4" longer bar.
if you will be cutting a significant amount of larger 24-30" hardwood you might think about a larger saw. either of these saws will cut wood that size, but how much patience do you have??? i would think a 440 might be a better choice. but then again, there is the tradeoff of fuel, weight and cost.

Gilla Gorilla
12-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Well he went back to the Husky dealer and talked to them again. The guy asked him what he was using it for and recommended the Husky 455 Rancher with a 20" bar. Urgh. That saw pales in comparison to the other saws he was thinking about originally.

It did only cost him around $380. compared to $500 to $550 for the two bigger saws in the original post. Yes he does have plenty of patients but me I think that I would have looked into the 440 or 460 Magnums for the logs he will be cutting. We will see how the Husky holds up, he really seems to like it and I used it for a couple of minutes but did not notice much of a difference in performance from my MS260 but then again I am compairing a commercial saw versus a home owner saw.

Thanks for the input though guys