PDA

View Full Version : Equipment upgrade

BMFD92
11-29-2005, 10:18 PM
This past season was my first season doing complete landscaping and hardscaping. I did various jobs small and large and I have always rented equipment out. I mainly used a regular Bobcat Skidsteer. I rented one 10 different times this year but their were many jobs where i could of used one but just didnt want to go through the process of renting. I have been thinking things over and looking at income and rental costs vs. new costs and just can't seem to make up my mind on whether to get a skid steer next spring. I already have many jobs lined up for next year where a skid steer will be needed and I would like some input from people on this site as to what the think and past experiences with their equipment purchase. Any thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Green-Pro
11-29-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm in the same boat, that is I had access to one and used it on a few different jobs when it was available. I was using a JD260, nice freakin machine IMO, not that nice for the price though. I do intend to purchase a skidsteer next spring but have decided it will be a used one, I want to try and stay in the $15 - 16000 range. Heck a machine with a 1000 hours on it hasn't even broke a sweat yet IMO. What I want to spend should get me a machine with a 1000 hours or less no prob. Gotta look at it as depreciation for the next year also, doing this makes it a bit easier to spend the dough also IMO.

BMFD92
11-29-2005, 11:38 PM
yea i was thinking used but sometimes its just so hard to find exactly what you want in a used machine but its definetly an option for me too.

olderthandirt
11-29-2005, 11:53 PM
Its simple! If you buy it you WILL find the work to make it pay for itself. You will be surprised at the differnt jobs you will take on and the amount of time saved by owning one. Also a rule od thumb that I've always used and its worked great is that the machine needs to pay for itself the 1st yr. 2nd yr and after is profit except for maintenence

Green-Pro
11-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Its simple! If you buy it you WILL find the work to make it pay for itself. You will be surprised at the differnt jobs you will take on and the amount of time saved by owning one. Also a rule od thumb that I've always used and its worked great is that the machine needs to pay for itself the 1st yr. 2nd yr and after is profit except for maintenence

Good point Mac, I've seen you post this advice before and it is timeless IMO good for today, good for tomorrow. I love the attitude and since the first time I saw this advice posted have tried to adhere to it, " finding the work to make it pay for itself "

One other point I forgot to mention in earlier post, if & when you are not using the machine rent it out. I plan to do this so in the event I'm not playing...er working with it all the time it can still generate cash.

SCL
11-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Good lord don't rent out your machine! Other people have no respect for what you've paid hard earned money for, and if your landscaping anything you're gonna want to have it with you. You'll take it everywhere, use it for everything! You'll need it for pallets, scraping back dirt, renovating a lawn.... you are not gonna want someone else beating the crap out of it! Best investment you'll ever make!