PDA

View Full Version : Help with a sago

Duck Dodger
11-29-2005, 11:39 PM
I have a sago palm that I brought with me from southern GA to TN. I keep it in a container inside in an area that gets full sun. I beleive I have the soil right but a few weeks ago it started dieing in random areas. I thought it may be from the change in the seasons but the spots are really pale not yellowish like they normally get in cold weather. Any ideas out there?

LA LAWNS
11-29-2005, 11:44 PM
make sure you dont over water after the first couple days, or have "wet feet"

Az Gardener
11-29-2005, 11:49 PM
Sunburn? here in Phoenix they need shade or filtered light. I realize the sun here is a little more intense but maybe coming through the windows it is magnified or something. Just a thought.

Pecker
12-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Here in north Louisiana mine do great in full sun year-round. Beautiful evergreen. I'm in zone 8 (I think).

YardPro
12-06-2005, 08:19 AM
probably frizzle top disease. VERY commen in sago's.

it is cuased by a magnesium deficency. the affected fronds will never recover, so u just cut them off..

to prevent this or stop it from happening again, apply a few tablesoppns of epsom salts around the base of the plant.

PS.. the plant will not flush again until spring, so if u cut off the fronds now, it will just sit there until it's next flush....... it's NOT dead.

Precision
12-06-2005, 08:55 PM

it is cuased by a magnesium deficency. the affected fronds will never recover, so u just cut them off..

to prevent this or stop it from happening again, apply a few tablesoppns of epsom salts around the base of the plant.

PS.. the plant will not flush again until spring, so if u cut off the fronds now, it will just sit there until it's next flush....... it's NOT dead.

for uptimum health do the magnesium thing with the epsom salts and get a fert with manganese as well. I am tired now and can't remember how it works but lack of one affects top frond and lack of the other affects bottom fronds and brown spotting can occur from either.

ProMo
12-07-2005, 09:13 AM

frizzle top is a manganese deficiency

Duck Dodger
12-08-2005, 03:33 PM
I'll try the mnsm thanks

South Florida Lawns
12-10-2005, 12:31 AM
those things grow outdoors and a fungus is killing them off like mad. I doubt thats your problem though. The guys in the above posts sound like they got it right.

sicklid
12-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Yeah around here they get Sago Spore(Scale) and the local recomendation is Dysyston around the base and Organocide on the fronds.

YardPro
12-12-2005, 08:24 PM
frizzle top is a manganese deficiency

really i was always told it was magnesium. but being in florida.. i'm sure you know better than i ...
sago's have just started coming up here in the past few years

Precision
12-12-2005, 08:45 PM
really i was always told it was magnesium. but being in florida.. i'm sure you know better than i ...
sago's have just started coming up here in the past few years

I am no longer tired and I looked it up to be sure.
Magnesium for the lower fronds turning yellow and brown spotting.
Manganese for the upper fronds shriveling and dying.

Sago scale. use a new product, safari. don't have the specs but works great according to my pest guy. I have always used hort oil on the existing scale and a systemic in the ground (name escapes me). for really bad cases, defrond and hit the remainder with the hort oil twice, a week apart and systemic the soil. Provides 9-12 month protection.

scale is airborne, so just surface treatments will not stop re-infection.