PDA

View Full Version : Help me with Leyland Cypress trees

onestar
11-30-2005, 03:08 PM
I have a area on my property that I would like to plant a screen on. It is about 220' long. I would like to stagger the trees so that they would block the view quicker. My question is how far apart for each tree? Thanks for the help.

o-so-n-so
11-30-2005, 08:01 PM
15-20 feet. I just planted 9 of the cypress trees on my property for the same reason. I randomly planted my trees to look natural. Some closer than others with no pattern.

Dreams To Designs
12-01-2005, 07:36 AM
Leylands will get to be 15'-25' in diameter and can grow close to form a thick hedge row. They will grow relatively quickly if kept watered and fertilized. By staggering rows front and rear you can get away with 15' between rows and plants, 20' would be better over the long run. If you wish immediate screening, you can plant them closer and eliminate some as they start to grow and crowd each other.

Kirk

onestar
12-01-2005, 08:03 PM
I was thinking about every 7 feet, but I really don't like it when they look like a hedge row. I like to see individual trees and the stagger will fill in behind. The card on the tree says 9 feet in diameter and 60' tall. How long will it take for them to reach that type of maturity? Also, I do want immediate screening and that was the main reason I was thinking about staggering the trees. What type fertilizer is the best for these trees and how much and how often and what time of the year to fertilize. Sorry I have so many questions but I want to get it right. Thanks for the info.

Dreams To Designs
12-02-2005, 08:20 AM
7' is very close. I do not know of a variety that only get's to be 9' in diameter, especially at 60' tall. Typically, you are looking at 15-25 years to reach maturity, but they will grow very quickly, doubling their size in 3 years or less. If you do not want immediate screening, plant them farther apart and let them grow together over time. A common evergreen tree fertilizer in ground stake form in the spring when the new growth starts to flush is the easiest to deal with. You will have full season, slow release fertilization that way.

Do not apologize for asking questions. If you don't know and what to do something correctly, questions are the best way to get answers.

Kirk