PDA

View Full Version : approximately how many blades?

lampeslawnservice
11-30-2005, 05:25 PM
About how many blades can you sharpen before needing a new grinding wheel? I thought I read somewhere that it was a ridicously low number. Thanks for any response.

Magna-Matic
12-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Hello lampeslawnservice,

We do use softer grinding wheels than "bench grinder" type sharpeners. We do this to allow you to sharpen significantly faster and without burning the blade.

The average MIN and MAX of our grinding wheels can be anywhere from 75 blades to 300. Of course this can greatly fluctuate due to how much steel must be removed - i.e. blades that are sharpened 10-20 machine hours will last longer, and so will the grinding wheels sharpening them. Generally we estimate a cost of around $0.12 - $0.16 grinding wheel cost per blade.

Please also note our wheels do not require dressing, like a bench grinder would.

We also carry a range of wheels, so that if someone would like a longer life wheel we can provide it. **BUT** as the wheel gets harder (with a longer life) the sharpening time gets longer and you burn the blade much easier. Since LABOR TIME is generally more expensive than the consumable (grinding wheel) it is more advantageous to use a softer wheel and get the job done quicker.

If you have any other questions please ask.

Thank you,

Gumby
12-10-2005, 09:13 AM
I've got a Mag-9000 unit, and I was able to get about 150 blades out of the wheel that came on my unit. As was mentioned above, a blade that's in relatively good shape takes very little time to sharpen. Two minutes at the most. It's those blades that are all dinged up and have been run to the point where the cutting edge is rounded that take alot of time (and burn up alot of wheel) If I had only been sharpening my own blades I probably would have gotten 200+ blades out of the wheel, but I sharpen other peoples blades as well to help offset the cost of the grinder.