PDA

View Full Version : Anyone store Christmas lights for clients?

Wells
12-01-2005, 07:22 PM
This will be my fourth season installing and removing Christmas lighting for clients and I was asked today if we could store the Christmas lights for them during the off season. In the past i've always just given the lights back to the client for them to store.

I wouldn't have a clue what to charge for storage of Christmas lighting. Has anyone else been asked to store a clients Christmas lighting and what do you charge?

olderthandirt
12-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Never have stored them but can maybe offer an Idea of what to charge.
24x24 garage with 10' side walls materials cost $5900. That gives you enough room to store the lites and a truck or 2
Lite would only be stored for 10 months and I would figure putting them up and removing them as part of storage so $590 a month.
Seems high but you only need one foo - opps customer to make it worth your trouble payup :D

Wells
12-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Never have stored them but can maybe offer an Idea of what to charge.
24x24 garage with 10' side walls materials cost $5900. That gives you enough room to store the lites and a truck or 2
Lite would only be stored for 10 months and I would figure putting them up and removing them as part of storage so $590 a month.
Seems high but you only need one foo - opps customer to make it worth your trouble payup :D

Sounds like I may have to look deeper into this storage idea.

JTHutch
12-04-2005, 01:14 AM
That would be a crazy price. around here you can rent a storage unit for $40 a month. If you have the room I would only charge about $10-15 a month. Because I find it easier to have the lights on hand than the customer having them. This way when I hang them I can check bulbs etc... before I go on site. But that is just my opinion.

dmoney
12-06-2005, 11:48 PM
basically the way I do it is to store the lights for free. There is a charge for Takedown. having them on hand makes it easier for next yr. and it gives you some leverage to reinstall them

nephilim0167
12-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Just make sure that they're stored in a safe place. Out of sight out of mind. Would suck to have someone elses lights vandalized or stolen. Before you know it *you're* responsible for replacing them.

shepoutside
12-12-2005, 07:20 PM
The charge is minimal, and depends on how many, and what style of lights. I have residential customers, that have a "tote" of lights, and they are ten bucks for the year. I have Company, and city lights, that have special racks, and are covered in plastic, and check, and bulbs replaced, by next year, and that is all based on how much room it takes. Most of these prices are in the yearly fee, for R&R , store, and maintain. In my area, storage is now at a premium, and you would be surprised, how lucrative this "Side" business is.

NightScenes
12-15-2005, 08:24 PM
I charge about $4 a running foot to make, install, take down and store Christmas lights. Storage is included in the total price. The great thing about storing the lights is that, if you have their lights, who are they going to call to install them? You!! Next year is looking better all ready.

luminarias
06-10-2006, 01:59 AM
The way we do it is we provide the setup, maintenance and removal. I perfer to own it, easier access, etc. Although storage isnt cheap, and there is always a portion that will break, etc. and need replacing.

I even go as far as those that have their own lights of providing them a partial discount over 2 years so we do it all. Otherwise, those that want to store it, own it themselves can, but when it breaks, needs replacment, etc. I then charge them extra for too.

Richtree Lawns
07-25-2006, 09:15 PM
If you charge a customer $4 a foot the first year, are you charging them the same price to come back the following year to hang them again?

Firefly Lighting
07-26-2006, 11:01 PM
I think that it is imperative that you charge for storage. To store them properly you should be using good heavy duty boxes that can withstand the weight of alot of mini lights. From experiance it does not take that many customers with 4+ boxes per house to fill up a large storage area. We charge a takedown fee and a seperate storage fee.

dmoney
07-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Firefly. do you ever have any problems with people telling you they will keep them if you're going to charge them?

Firefly Lighting
08-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Sure- All the time. I don't push the storage service as much as some because I don't want to rent out storage space and have the liability of all the product. The way I see it is if you do a good job with the install takedown and service than the customers will come back to you in the following years. We have customers who don't want to keep the stuff at their home so we store it for them.

General Landscaping
08-03-2006, 12:24 AM
The great thing about storing the lights is that, if you have their lights, who are they going to call to install them? You!! Next year is looking better all ready.

I don't do anything with lights....... but I like your line of thinking:clapping: