PDA

View Full Version : Stone Slinger

mbella
12-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Have any of you folks worked with one of these? Recently, we had to install 150 tons of aggregate. However, installing it with our equipment would have involved too many labor hours and ultimately been cost prohibitive.

I decided we could either use a track hoe or a stone slinger. The owner of the building didn't want a hoe swinging too close to the building, so we went with the slinger.

One of my foreman and I, installed the aggregate in three and a half hours. Most of that time was just looking at each other freezing our azzes off. At a charge of $160.00 per hour, I was charged a total of $640.00 for the slinger (half hour travel to the job.) It was an amazing time and money saver for our situation.

Certainly, it is not always practical or cost efficient to use a slinger, but it is a good option, for certain situations, that everybody should know is available (if, in fact it is in your area).

UNISCAPER
12-01-2005, 08:36 PM
We have used those, and in some cases we use dry pumps. theytbasically take water and gravel, put it in a cousin to a concrete pump and all you do is direct the hose and go. It's great on CMU walls or long runs of SRW where the volume pencils out.

Ever thought of having a gravel fight with one of the slingers? LOL

mbella
12-01-2005, 08:45 PM
We have used those, and in some cases we use dry pumps. theytbasically take water and gravel, put it in a cousin to a concrete pump and all you do is direct the hose and go. It's great on CMU walls or long runs of SRW where the volume pencils out.

Ever thought of having a gravel fight with one of the slingers? LOL

Yeah right. My foreman was attmepting to move the laser, not paying attention to the slinger, and got blasted. Let's just say, it woke him up and we were only shooting like 10' at the time. The operator told me he can shoot up to 50' from the end of the conveyor.

bigviclbi
12-01-2005, 09:22 PM
The first time I saw one was on "this old house" a couple of years ago, and then this summer I saw one in a new development I was in. I turned around and followed it hoping to see it work but no luck.

Gilla Gorilla
12-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Does anyone have a picture of what it looks like or a link to the manufacturer?

If so can you post it.

Thanks

mbella
12-01-2005, 09:51 PM
I don't have a link. Basically, it's a tri-axle and when in action, there's a 20' conveyor sticking out the back. That's it.

Gilla Gorilla
12-01-2005, 11:20 PM
I found a site with one of the trucks in action. That thing is cool, I can say that I have never noticed one around my neck of the woods and if I did I probably would have just thought that it was another type of DUMP truck.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.stoneslingerbydahms.com/ACTION.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.stoneslingerbydahms.com/&h=304&w=528&sz=11&tbnid=jmvNq7_vZy8J:&tbnh=74&tbnw=129&hl=en&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstone%2Bslinger%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

mbella
12-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Yep, that's it.

east sooke man
12-02-2005, 12:38 AM
I have used them to place soil in jobs that were too difficult to use a machine. One job was a postage size front yard with a picket fence all around it, rather than moving soil by wheelbarrow,the gate was only 30 inches wide, I blew in 12 yards of soil in half an hour total, beats wheelbarrows. Another job was 30 yards slung in in two hours onto a hillside boulder rock garden, saved me days of placing soil,I had to be in the hopper straddling the bottom conveyor breaking the soil loose so it would sling, we threw it anywhere from 20 to 40 feet and uphill 5 feet in elevation. Those machines have been around town 4-5 years now and for certain applications they are just amazing!

GreenMonster
12-02-2005, 07:24 PM
That's pretty cool, Mike, but still won't always solve the problem of moving large (or even relatively small) amounts of aggregate into areas that are difficult to access with machines.

We did a raised patio this summer that was difficult to get at. Ended up loading a JD Gator with stone, and building ramps to dump the stone behind the wall. Still ended up being a lot of shoveling and raking :( I've often thought about picking up a couple of used conveyors to move stone around.

mbella
12-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Mark, that's why I said "certain situations." What was the problem in your situation?

olderthandirt
12-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Used them for rd side renovation on steep slopes along side the intersate. Covered the hills with the processed top-soil they removed when they were putting in the 3rd lane, and then had it hydo-seeded. They can throw a lot of soil fast and the one that showed up had a sort of tub/bin at the bottom of the conveyor and a 4" hose hooked to it almost like a cement pumper, so shooting soil was like spraying water

GreenMonster
12-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Mark, that's why I said "certain situations." What was the problem in your situation?

We built a patio on top of a 7' retaining wall. We had done stairs, walkway and walls at this sloping property the year before. When they went to get a variance to build a deck off of their new addition, the town wouldn't let them, although they were told "you can build anything with landscape materials". So we built the wall and completely backfilled it with washed stone. Problem was access to the wall. It was on a slope, and the work we did the year prior was in the way, plus there wasn't enough room in front of it to get at with a skid or tractor to dump backfill. Here's one quick pic of the job.

fred pereira
12-03-2005, 11:53 PM
My buddy owns one. (csmaterialsplacement.com) I've seen him "Sling" river-bed rock, soil, 3/4" stone, Aqua Block, Qp, it is a huge time/labor saving truck. He does work in our Tri-state area.

Henry
12-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Here's one for sale. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tompkins-Stone-Slinger_W0QQitemZ4594764544QQcategoryZ63743QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem