PDA

View Full Version : performance chip for 1999 ford power stroke?

nlminc
12-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Has anyone here added one? I've been getting mixed advice from guys at auto parts stores. The hypertech is not really made for the diesel engines....I was told. Ayy advice?

Jpocket
12-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Get a Bully Dog they are made for diesels, there a couple of companies that specialize in diesels

Gilla Gorilla
12-01-2005, 07:42 PM
I run Diablo Sports Predator hand held tuner in my 02 7.3psd. It is not a chip that you install, instead it stores the factory calibration then loads a new calibration into the PCM for more power. I love mine.

www.diablosport.com

nlminc
12-01-2005, 07:47 PM
How much are these 2? I checked the Diablo site and couldn't find a price.

Gilla Gorilla
12-01-2005, 07:57 PM
I paid $350 for mine new in the box from a dealer. You can get them new on ebay at times as low as $300.

If i'm not mistaken the nice thing about the Bully Dog is that you can switch the tune on the fly like the Edge Juice tuner. With the Diablo you have to shut the truck off and it takes a minute or two to install a new tune. But I think that the Bully Dog and Edge Juices are between $650 to $800 and they mount on the dash most times so when you take the truck to the dealership they see it sitting rite in front of there eyes unless you take it off.

Team_Yamaha
12-01-2005, 08:01 PM
There are so many chips and programmers for diesels now it is unreal. With me I have a TS Performance chip in my 99 F350, it makes good power for a work truck. I have DP Tuner custom chip in my 03, plus lots, and lots of other things. And for my 05 I am looking at a SCT (Superchips Custom Tuner). Your best bet is to go to http://thedieselstop.com Just become a member (its free) and then go to 7.3L Upgrades and Aftermarket. They guys over there have been tons of help for me. Hope this helps!!

Travis Followell
12-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Take a look at these. I don't know for sure how good it is but it sounds good.

www.888luvdiesel.com

2k1yzfr1
12-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Depends how much horsepower you want. Edge is a good chip, or if you want more hp you can have someone like Dieselinnovations.com burn you a custom chip.

UNISCAPER
12-02-2005, 06:59 PM
I would ask 1), what are you intending to do with the truck? And 2) why does it not have enough power as it sits? I have yet to see any modern day diesel from all 3 manufacturers lack in power to do any task you set out to do. Thus, adding a smoke belcher is going to do nothing but that, make alot of smoke, look stupid as hell, and eventually waste a $12,000 engine for no reason other than to impress a hand full of people and gain you very little.

It's one thing if your truck is a toy. It's quite another if you have to make your living with it. Your call and your wallet. Speed is money, how fast would you like to go?

2k1yzfr1
12-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Thus, adding a smoke belcher is going to do nothing but that, make alot of smoke, look stupid as hell, and eventually waste a $12,000 engine for no reason other than to impress a hand full of people and gain you very little.

Im sorry but your not going to "waste" a diesel engine from modding it. Maybe yall ford boys are different but I know of ALOT of 500+hp cummins that are daily drivers and tow everyday. Also you dont smoke under normal driving conditions unless you just have some crazy mods. I guess the reason you think it looks stupid as hell is because you have been "smoked" before.

But yes if you are only looking for alittle more towing power throw in one of those hypertech tuners. Those dont give you enough hp to put your tranny in danger.

If you are interested in a NEW Hypertech Tuner let me know.

But if you are wanting to get serious on making it fast look around on Thedieselstop.com

Scag48
12-03-2005, 04:41 AM
Chipping the engine or flashing the stock ECU only changes fuel mapping and ECU settings. Contrary to popular belief, they do not harm an engine. All it does is allow more fuel to be combusted and with a good ram air system you can boost ALOT more power while getting decent mileage. The Banks Six Gun system looks to be the best out there, quite expensive but it is the best IMO.

UNISCAPER
12-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Actually I've never been smoked before. It just looks stupid as hell. And, if you have the extra money to throw around on something you don't need, great. I pull through mountains regularly, as do other companies we work against. Any truck I've seen, dodge, ford, GM with a diesel does not need more power than it's stock form.
Actually, I'm not a Ford boy by any means. I question why anyone would want to lessen the life of their engine after paying the preium a diesel costs, as well as what the engine replacement costs.

But as long as you are on the topic, it wouldn't be the engine in a 99 Powerstrke I would worry about. It would be the E4OHGOD I just lost another $2,500.00 transmission.

Hey good luck with making your truck a cud belcher. It will do anything you need it to do just the way it sits, and alot longer....

olderthandirt
12-03-2005, 10:24 AM
I agree with Bill about the truck having all the power I need for work, But I would buy a chip if they made one that actually worked to increase MPG by 50%.
7-10 mpg with an 05 psd sucks and so have all the other psd I've owned. He!! a diesel running empty in a 1 ton should have no problems getting 15-17 MPG with a 4.10 rear end and auto trans.
Mac

UNISCAPER
12-03-2005, 12:06 PM
That I agree with too Mac. I'm doing 14 with the new 6500, and 12-14 with the 45-5500 series. The 3500 pick ups are dancing between 16 and 18.

I think they all should be doing better for what they cost.

nlminc
12-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I was looking to boost HP and MPG. The truck has enough power for what I use it for. I'm not towing at this time and just use it for running around and light hauling.

I've just been told from some local people that I "have to add the chip" to my power stroke. lol To be realistic, I don't need the added goodies.