PDA

View Full Version : Entering new territory: Outdoor Xmas lights

MikeA57
12-02-2005, 08:23 AM
I promised my wife that I would put out Xmas lights when we moved into our new house. I got out of it last year by telling her, "You know, we need to wait until AFTER Xmas to buy the lights when they're cheaper." She went along with that logic but never went to the store to get them. So I tried the same ploy this year but it ain't working. She found what she percieves to be a good deal on ebay and they're apparently on their way. I've never done outdoor Xmas lights and I need to know how you guys string them. She wants the Icicle lights that drape down along the fascia board of the house. How do you hang them? Do you use the hook that slips in between the deck and the shingles and remove that when you take down the lights or do you go a more permanent route and put up cup hooks? What other method and why? What works best?

Thanks,

Mike

hole in one lco
12-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Gutter hooks prep all lights in the house because it worm and the lights will unpack easer. Dont string to many on one outlet

MikeA57
12-02-2005, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I guess I should have stipulated, no gutters along the front of the house... Thanks though for the reply!

hole in one lco
12-02-2005, 08:56 AM
staple them to the shingle or the eve of the house

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
12-10-2005, 05:48 PM
They make hooks that latch onto the Drip Edge i beleive

nephilim0167
12-11-2005, 11:21 PM
With the icecicles I'd be careful how many strands you're putting into each outlet. I would honestly say 4 max or you're going to start tripping breakers. If you're going to be using the mini bulbs I tend to stick to 6-7 strands per outlet. The 'recommended' is 3 strands per outlet - unfortunately that's just not likely for a lot of folks. Unless of course you plan on using say 12 strands for your whole front yard :)