PDA

View Full Version : F450 Starting problems

Emerscape
12-02-2005, 10:13 AM
I have a 1999 F450 whichI purchased last June. After purchasing the truck I brought it to the Ford Dealer to have them go over the truck to make sure everything was in order. They replaced one of the two batteries on the truck becuase it would not take a charge ( I figured it was gone since I had to jump start the truck if I didnt run it everyday). I got the truck back and everything was fine. I could go a week without starting the truck and it would always have plenty of juice to start up. In the past month Ive had to jump start the truck ( which would take 10 minutes of charging off another truck), so I decieded to clean the battery terminals and connections on both batteries. The truck is dead as a doornail and I dont have a whole lot of time. How do you suggest I go about solving this situation? thanks for the help

Dirty Water
12-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Have the alternator checked.

PLM-1
12-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Yup. Take it to Autozone or something and have them check the batteries and alternator. The best part, it takes 5 minutes, rules those two things out and it's free!

PLM-1
12-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Yup. Take it to Autozone or something and have them check the batteries and alternator. The best part, it takes 5 minutes, rules those two things out and it's free!

lwcmattlifter
12-02-2005, 05:46 PM
The dealer should have replaced both batteries. It's always a good idea to replace them in pairs that way you don't have a weak battery forcing the good one to do all the work. Have the alternator checked like everyone else said. Also, weak batteries can overheat alternators very quick so if that other battery is not 100%, replace it. I'm really surprised the Ford dealer did not replace both batteries.

climber
12-03-2005, 10:54 AM
You can solve it by getting an GM product :p

Emerscape
12-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Gm product...Yeeeeeeeaaah :rolleyes: . im not gonna start that war. anyway thanks for the advice guys. Brought it to autozone and the guys checked the batteries. Turns out my alternator is going south. Looks like im gonna have to order a new one, which kinda sucks since Im trying to sell the truck but im not gonna give someone else my problems

Dirt_Werx
12-03-2005, 02:58 PM
emerscapes- you say you might be looking to seel the truck, lemme know the particulars if you decide to, might be interested, thanx again and good luck

Emerscape
12-03-2005, 06:05 PM
yup. its definetely up for sale. Obviously it needs a new alternator and probably could use new front brake pads but otherwise the truck is in beautiful condition. I have it advertised on craigslist here is the link: http://boston.craigslist.org/car/114375955.html

Smalltimer1
12-03-2005, 06:50 PM
The dealer should have replaced both batteries. It's always a good idea to replace them in pairs that way you don't have a weak battery forcing the good one to do all the work. Have the alternator checked like everyone else said. Also, weak batteries can overheat alternators very quick so if that other battery is not 100%, replace it. I'm really surprised the Ford dealer did not replace both batteries.

ALWAYS replace both batteries on a diesel at the same time, as the bad one will bring a good one down. In fact, I'd be ticked at that dealer for not doing both batteries.

If you still have a good one left after replacement, stick it in another car that doesn't take 2 and you're good to go.

Smalltimer1
12-03-2005, 06:51 PM
You can solve it by getting an GM product :p

It'd never make it out of the driveway then...:rolleyes: