PDA

View Full Version : Up for a Challenge?

Squizzy246B
12-03-2005, 10:09 AM
This is a job that should have been done before the owners spent squillions on bull nose limestone construction. Anyway, its more of a logistical challenge than anything. The driveway is about 34 degrees up to the street. The old brick wall has cracked due to inadequate footings and ties, plus a lot of natural moisture coming out of the hillside.

The hillside is practically solid limestone. We are installing a mass retaining wall in place which requires 3' 3" of room behind the face.

Pic 1 (17) shows the lovely views the owners enjoy

Pic 2 (18) is taken 90 degrees to the right of Pic 1 and shows the room we have to work in...or rather lack of it. I have done worse though.

Pic 3 (19) shows the area above the brickwall as was before we ripped the place up.

Pic 4 (23) gives a view of the wall (in the middle at the back above the water feature) and some risk for us when a rock rolls off the ledge.

Pic 5 (32) shows the kink in the top of the old wall after we have started digging out.

More to follow

Squizzy246B
12-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Heres the next lot;

Pic 1 (34) shows the working area. We pull out some spoil and then push it into the garage with the skid for backfilling. Some gets loaded out into our truck. The driveway is not for the faint hearted in the skid.

Pic 2 (39). We are starting to expose the back of the wall. Thats not dust, its smoke coming off the tiger teeth.

Pic 3 (41) Bit more digging

Pic 4 (42) Just shows where we cut the old wall. The scarey part here is we still have to go down another 3' from the bottom of the bricks and we hit solid limestone just below.

I'll post some more pics after the nose picker has done its magic on the limestone.

cgland
12-03-2005, 02:52 PM
All I can say is.........Whoa!

Chris

YardPro
12-03-2005, 04:22 PM
hope you are charging time and materials........

that looks like a real headache......

but at least you have a good view while working

MarcusLndscp
12-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Ditto to the prior responses to this post Squizzy. I think the "pucker factor" would be rather large while doing that job. Keep us posted with pics on how this job progresses for you. Glad it's you and not me. Awesome view by the way.
Take it easy
Marcus

Squizzy246B
12-03-2005, 06:33 PM
I am charging this on time and materials, its my hourly rate that will give you the pucker factor:dizzy: .

However, it will be a miracle if we don't break something. Steady Steady is the name of the game. I'll post a couple more pic's as we go.

Just think it might have been a good idea to do this before all the construction work not at the end.

MarcusLndscp
12-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Squizzy, how's the job coming?

kris
12-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Who did the water feature and block work around it?

Squizzy246B
12-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Who did the water feature and block work around it?

Kris, Most of what you can see is done by a guy we work with from time to time. He often hires our excavator, and/or we do all the heavy stuff, and he does the finishing. His designs can be very complex, and generally exist only in his head until its built. The round cornered stone is more expensive but well worth it I think.

Cheers

kris
12-07-2005, 09:07 AM
I really like that fake door or whatever it is ...looks great IMO

Cheers to you too.

Squizzy246B
12-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Squizzy, how's the job coming?

Patience old son!..Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm on hourly hire:D

Just kidding, here ya go:

001 = Still digging out..carefully

004 = The view from the company managing directors chair:rolleyes:

011 = We did a lot of this to get the 1st course 12" below the top of the small wall in front of the one we are building.

023 = We finally got it hammered out and compacted a base of sand. An engineered mass retaining wall must stand independent and not rest on any resident stone.

More to follow Marcus

Squizzy246B
12-07-2005, 09:35 AM
030 = As always on these jobs everything takes twice or three times as long. Getting some mud down to the wall wan't a real drama...just time.

040 = With the wall knocked into shape we run doubled concrete liner plastic over the back of the wall as a moisture barrier. We are also installing a new drainage system on this site.

046 = A look at the wall from down below. The face course is natural but the bottom course and all the backers are reconstituted. The engineer required the 1 metre blocks behind and the landscaper who is managing this task didn't have time for the small blocks on the face. The owner was happy to run with big blocks as the area will get planted out with creepers and other plants. Eventually it will look like our wall was carved out of the hillside.

056 = The camel train at knock off time!.

So three days digging out, rockbreaking and prepwork which included bringing the stones in 4 at a time on the skid (56 Blocks). The sand also had to come in bucket by bucket. 1 day to build the wall. Stay tuned for another episode:waving:

MarcusLndscp
12-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Hi there Squizzy
No holding out on progress pics, okay! Job looks real good. I think I may have you beat on a job with a high pucker factor. I don't know if pics will really explain how difficult the site is but I will try to post a pic or two in the days to follow. In short we're on a steep slope that also turns as you go down then drops right off to the water and it's covered in snow. We started today and already had some nerve racking experiences in the ex. The steel tracks fill with snow and turn into ice skates which is kinda no fun. Is that legal to move your ex around like you have shown in that pic? Do you still chain it down in the dump body like that? Well, enjoy australia and your sunshine :realmad: we're dealing with snow, ice, and frost now but the boss says keep going.
Take care and Cheers to ya
Marcus

Squizzy246B
12-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Marcus, the 5 1/2 tonne machine just gets below the max legal height without permits/signage etc (if you fold the stick down the right way). The req to chain down is the drivers responsibility...in other words, if it ever moved and caused a prob it would be our fault. We have not chained it down to date but have put chains on our new flat bed trailer for the 246.

I'll post a few pic's of finishing up. Look forward to seeing your site.

Must go, kids giving me the hurry up....going to talk work about our proposed new mini-ex. I'm supposed to be the responsible leader of this organisation,,,but when it comes to new toy....:D Hitachi...Cat...Kubota...now lets see...

all ferris
12-08-2005, 08:33 AM
I think I might have lost some sleep over that job.

From the looks of things it is summer time down under and it is snowing here. I am just a bit jealous.

UNISCAPER
12-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Squizzy:

I thought we had some tight over priced areas! Our soils even look similar to yours.

When is a good time of the year to vacation in Perth? My wife and I are considering diving on the reef as a possibility and the photos you toom look awesome!

Squizzy246B
12-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Squizzy:

I thought we had some tight over priced areas! Our soils even look similar to yours.

When is a good time of the year to vacation in Perth? My wife and I are considering diving on the reef as a possibility and the photos you took look awesome!

Bill, those shots are from one of the better heeled suburbs of Perth with the Swan River in the background. Perth is a bit like a big country town really (pop; 2,000,000) May is our best month...well I reckon anyway. Wildflowers in September are always good. Windy in our Spring although we havent see it this year.

I used to live in Cairns in Queensland and run my boat out to the Barrier reef when I had the chance. In West Aus we have...well..just Google for "Ningaloo". Perth has plenty of beaches.

Dirty Water
12-08-2005, 08:31 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45371&d=1133962494

Is it just me, or does one block in that wall appear to be slightly offset? Or is the shadow messing with my eye?

Excellent work.

Can you face the wall with rounded block like the rest of the landscape? It would look great.

Squizzy246B
12-09-2005, 09:16 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45371&d=1133962494

Is it just me, or does one block in that wall appear to be slightly offset? Or is the shadow messing with my eye?

Excellent work.

Can you face the wall with rounded block like the rest of the landscape? It would look great.

And the winner of the "pick the fault comp" is Jon, well spotted, you have won a free weather report from down under..."fine and warm, expecting 25 deg C for Christmas day:D

The stone is just bigger than the others. These are quarry cut stone with a fair amount of variance but that one was mainly my fault.

The Moore River round nose stone is very expensive and was not available at short notice for this job. I believe the landscaper and the client went with big straight cut stones for contrast rather than trying do something half the same if you know what I mean. The plan is for the big stones to be a backdrop, for some planting, and the round nose is the feature.

Not many operators around like us have the machines, trucks, rockbreaker etc and also can build mass walls. We get called in for all the heavy (read crappy) jobs. Multi-skilling is the name of the game...and its much more interesting than just sitting on a machine.

YardPro
12-09-2005, 09:31 AM
i also was wondering about that block.....

job looks great. .... except for that block .....LOL.. joking

how do you get the that thing up onto the back of the truck?????????

PurpHaze
12-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Squizzy,

Speaking of that block, can you get a mix of oversized blocks so the design could be a mixture to break up a flat surface? Have you done any of your walls this way?

Squizzy246B
12-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Squizzy,

Speaking of that block, can you get a mix of oversized blocks so the design could be a mixture to break up a flat surface? Have you done any of your walls this way?

Hayes, sometimes we turn out broken stuff in the face or run keystones perpendicular for people to put pot plants on. The real beauty of limestone and sandstone is it is so easy to work. All you need is a Quik Cut, a few mason's axes and a couple of hammers. Sometimes it breaks out on you, or has a lot of capstone (which is as hard as granite) but its really up to your imagination. I have hacked out letterbox recesses from a couple of stones.

I'm not really into the finer artsy stuff although I am learning. I generally like to bang down about 180 blocks a day in your commercial retaining walls but the money can be good up market. The boys also like the change of pace too.

In so far as what we can get, well you just order seconds instead of firsts and you get a big pile of rough cut stuff to play with. Sometimes its a pain but it often looks better than the firsts. The seconds are more likely to have cavities or fossils in them, like shells and tree roots. Some people love it and some tell you to send the stone back. Whatever turns your crank really...; There are times when I could just chuck the stone work out of the business and just run with the machines but..well..its a dirty job:rolleyes:

PurpHaze
12-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Sounds like you have many different avenues that you can travel with the same material. Good job!

Squizzy246B
12-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Cleanup time and prep for concrete in the garage and cobblestone in the drive.

We are out of here

Dirty Water
12-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Is that you on the compactor?

Squizzy246B
12-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Is that you on the compactor?

Nope, thats Johnny, truck and excavator operator, ticketed crane operator, right hand man and Jack of all trades. Johnny likes compacting...normally keeps going until the machine runs out of petrol:D

UNISCAPER
12-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Is that no fines concrete on the base? It looks like what we call road base, but your guys call it something else....

Squizzy246B
12-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Is that no fines concrete on the base? It looks like what we call road base, but your guys call it something else....

Road base it is Bill.

UNISCAPER
12-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Ah, similarities between gravel? Amazing! They never grade that stuff the same from state to US state let alone from country to country.

Squizzy246B
12-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Hi there Squizzy
No holding out on progress pics, okay! Job looks real good. I think I may have you beat on a job with a high pucker factor. I don't know if pics will really explain how difficult the site is but I will try to post a pic or two in the days to follow. In short we're on a steep slope that also turns as you go down then drops right off to the water and it's covered in snow. We started today and already had some nerve racking experiences in the ex. The steel tracks fill with snow and turn into ice skates which is kinda no fun. Is that legal to move your ex around like you have shown in that pic? Do you still chain it down in the dump body like that? Well, enjoy australia and your sunshine :realmad: we're dealing with snow, ice, and frost now but the boss says keep going.
Take care and Cheers to ya
Marcus

Has anybody seen Marcus??

hosejockey2002
12-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Has anybody seen Marcus??

Hopefully he's not upside down in the water still strapped into his excavator...:eek:

Squizzy246B
12-23-2005, 08:01 PM
Hopefully he's not upside down in the water still strapped into his excavator...:eek:

Yeah, hate to see a good excavator ruined:rolleyes:

MarcusLndscp
12-23-2005, 09:48 PM
LMFAO Squizzy! I'd hate to ruin a good piece of steel machinery. Actually, the job got to be so dangerous I opted to call it quits. We got a storm of about 8-10 inches of snow and we removed all of it going down the slope to try and continue but the small remnants of the dreaded white stuff that remained was still very slick. I tried going down once and nearly s%$t my pants a couple times because of the conditions we were dealing with. When I got to where we were working I started to dig the bases for the walls and ran into ledge in a serious way. The whole job has to be re-evaluated in the spring because now the design will have to change to work around the ledge. There was only about 8 inches of soil and organic matter on top of it and when that was removed a decent rate of water was running right on top of it as well. There's no feasible way of building walls where they were designed to be built... short of either blasting or actually pinning the walls to the ledge. Then either way I believe we'll be dealing with a major water issue. Off the top of my head the job consists of something like 300 L.F. of wall (some double faced), a couple dozen granite steps, ~600 S.F. of pavers walkways, lighting, irrigation and planting. There's a lot that has to be changed and now is not the time of year to be dealing with such serious issues of safety and installation. I did get a couple pics and will post them at a later date. You know how this time of year is with the holidays and all. Every weekend you have atleast one usually 2 x-mas parties to attend and you typically can't stand 3/4 of the people there so you drink too much :drinkup: and are then incapacitated the next day :sleeping: as a result of it! :p Just kidding, time's just been tight but I will do my best to post this weekend!
Merry X-mas everybody!

Squizzy246B
12-23-2005, 10:28 PM
Off the top of my head the job consists of something like 300 L.F. of wall (some double faced), a couple dozen granite steps, ~600 S.F. of pavers walkways, lighting, irrigation and planting. There's a lot that has to be changed and now is not the time of year to be dealing with such serious issues of safety and installation. I did get a couple pics and will post them at a later date. You know how this time of year is with the holidays and all. Every weekend you have atleast one usually 2 x-mas parties to attend and you typically can't stand 3/4 of the people there so you drink too much :drinkup: and are then incapacitated the next day :sleeping: as a result of it! :p Just kidding, time's just been tight but I will do my best to post this weekend!
Merry X-mas everybody!

Sounds like you need a rockbreakerpayup

Been invited to about seven pissup.....errr ..christmas bar-b-q's but no time. We were trying to finish a wall on top of a wall yesterday and the last of the materials (in-fill fencing) turned up...:dizzy: what the!...I think the guys at the factory had already started christmas:realmad: ..now I have client...that I promised would have a new wall, piers and fences for christmas..who doesnt. Christmas...Bah Humbug!:rolleyes: On a brighter note some of my guys have been getting sunburnt:p

South Florida Lawns
12-24-2005, 10:16 PM
That is one neat looking job. How hard was it getting equipment and materials in and out of the job site? From the pictures it looks like you had to move a lot of stuff around due to lack of space.

Squizzy246B
12-24-2005, 11:24 PM
That is one neat looking job. How hard was it getting equipment and materials in and out of the job site? From the pictures it looks like you had to move a lot of stuff around due to lack of space.

Exactly, more of logistic head spin and general PITA than anything. Dig a bit, move excavator, bucket our spoil to truck, move excavator back in, dig a bit, change to rockbreaker, change back, dig a bit, move out excavator etc etc. Same thing bringing in stones, no room. I think the skid did about 235 trips up and down the steep driveway with a few hairy moments. Getting 2000lb drainage tank in was also a bit of a challenge. Just as well we have a 12,000lb excavator. It all took time and this raised the owners eyebrows a little when he got my bill:dizzy:

UNISCAPER
12-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Sounds like you need a rockbreaker

Been invited to about seven pissup.....errr ..christmas bar-b-q's but no time. We were trying to finish a wall on top of a wall yesterday and the last of the materials (in-fill fencing) turned up... what the!...I think the guys at the factory had already started christmas ..now I have client...that I promised would have a new wall, piers and fences for christmas..who doesnt. Christmas...Bah Humbug! On a brighter note some of my guys have been getting sunburnt

I'm sure glad this stuff does not only happen around here Squizzy!
these surfer boys around here would rather go ride waves than get their work done. I was out a 1/2 day yesterday and got a $250,000 job simply by taking care of a customer by Chirstmas that no one else around here would ever do!

Squizzy246B
12-25-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm sure glad this stuff does not only happen around here Squizzy!
these surfer boys around here would rather go ride waves than get their work done. I was out a 1/2 day yesterday and got a $250,000 job simply by taking care of a customer by Chirstmas that no one else around here would ever do!

Merry Christmas Bill,

I wish I could pick up a few jobs of that size. I was going to start a thread on good clients (because we always whinge about the bad ones). This guy looked at our order sheet and what actually turned up and said "Oh well" and gave us all a beer for doing our best to get his job done for Chrissy. And on top of that he paid for what we have done. I'm real happy he's understanding because he has a $25K wall for us to build at one of his other properties.

PurpHaze
12-26-2005, 12:51 PM
...because we always whinge about the bad ones

Thank goodness I have a computer dictionary. (whinge: usage; Brit.; complain peevishly in an annoying or repetitive manner) :p

Squizzy246B
12-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Thank goodness I have a computer dictionary. (whinge: usage; Brit.; complain peevishly in an annoying or repetitive manner) :p

(jk)
Q. "How do tell a British Airways jet has landed"
A. "Its still whinging long after the engines have shut down"

PurpHaze
12-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Quit it... you're killing me! :rolleyes: