PDA

View Full Version : Ford e4od tranny question

nobagger
12-03-2005, 03:03 PM
I did a search but could not find what I needed so I am asking in here. I just had my tranny rebuilt (94 F150 E4OD). Before I had to have it rebuilt it would clunk or bang into reverse 70% of the time and seem to go into reverse nice and smooth the other30%. Well after spending $1590.00 to make it as "heavy duty" as possible it still bangs or clunks into reverse, is this normanl for this tranny?

mpflood
12-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Sure is,
And if you are thinking of snow plowing or towing a trailer make sure you have an aux. trans cooler.

electronic 4 wheel drive w/ overdrive is not a heavy duty trans

Dirt_Werx
12-03-2005, 04:04 PM
scott, i hate to say it, but having the trans rebuilt isnt going to fix that problem, i had the same trans and problem, what causes the clunk in reverse is either bad u-joints and or tailshaft, possibly problem with the rear end or stub shaft, but the trans rebuild wont help unfortunatly, good luck

nobagger
12-03-2005, 04:33 PM
scott, i hate to say it, but having the trans rebuilt isnt going to fix that problem, i had the same trans and problem, what causes the clunk in reverse is either bad u-joints and or tailshaft, possibly problem with the rear end or stub shaft, but the trans rebuild wont help unfortunatly, good luck
I just talked to a friend of mine who is a Ford mechanic, he said its in the rear diff.

Smalltimer1
12-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Sure is,
And if you are thinking of snow plowing or towing a trailer make sure you have an aux. trans cooler.

electronic 4 wheel drive w/ overdrive is not a heavy duty trans

E40D means Electronic, 4 Speed, with Over Drive, not 4 wheel drive.

The E40D is a heavy duty transmission--it replaced the C6. Somethings that a do it yourselfer can do to help improve longevity in these units is a deeper tranny pan such as one from Mag-Hytec, which has cooling fins on the bottom and is deeper. Another thing is to swap in a Power Stroke tranny cooler, which is overkill for a F-150, but is well worth the effort if you want a long lasting unit. The other thing that will help is changing fluid every 20-30k.

The early ones had their weaknesses in flow capacity and solenoid issues, but those can be corrected with the abundant aftermarket available such as from the people below.

Specifically, Brian's Truck Shop in Arkansas (BTS), John Wood in California, and Suncoast Transmissions in Ca. are experts on making the E40D a bulletproof heavy hauler.

Good luck on the rear end...

Smalltimer1
12-03-2005, 07:04 PM

The slip yoke is what causes the 'clunk', that's what it was in my old truck, and I never had any problems with the E40D in it.

mpflood
12-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Sorry bout that, Im a Ford man,but had no luck with that tranny in my 93 f150, inline 6
It was a real puker

Dirty Water
12-03-2005, 07:13 PM
A clunk in reverse sounds like sloppy u-joints.

Smalltimer: The E40D doesn't circulate fluid in reverse...that cost me a input shaft and a torque converter...But you can keep thinking its a heavy duty transmission, and that you can change compression by changing the rings :laugh:

Smalltimer1
12-03-2005, 07:24 PM
A clunk in reverse sounds like sloppy u-joints.

Smalltimer: The E40D doesn't circulate fluid in reverse...that cost me a input shaft and a torque converter...But you can keep thinking its a heavy duty transmission, and that you can change compression by changing the rings :laugh:

U-joints can cause it too, but in that body of truck, the slip yoke is usually the culprit, I worked at a Ford dealer last summer and replaced several of those to cure that problem.

I don't see you pulling a 6 ton hay wagon at 5mph for 3 hours, mine did it for years with NO trouble. Had no trouble backing it UP the hill into the barn either. Goof Ball Holland strikes again!:D

Richard Martin
12-04-2005, 03:37 AM
http://www.becontrols.com/products/e4odcat.htm

Call these guys on the phone and they will help you diagnose your problem. They told me what to check for when I was having trouble with my 4R70W auto tranny in my F-150 and it turned out to be a very simple fix that I did myself in about 1/2 hour. I too was getting ready to drop $1500 to have my tranny rebuilt.

nobagger
12-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I will call around tomorrow for a slip yoke. I just bought a different tranny cooler, its huge it has 6 lines and they dwarf my cooler lines now, it also has a electronic fan that pushes 1200cfm. This should do the trick.:waving:

UNISCAPER
12-04-2005, 09:15 PM
\"The E40D is a heavy duty transmission--it replaced the C6."

What the hell have you been smoking? That transmission is rubber band drive

Richard Martin
12-05-2005, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I will call around tomorrow for a slip yoke. I just bought a different tranny cooler, its huge it has 6 lines and they dwarf my cooler lines now, it also has a electronic fan that pushes 1200cfm. This should do the trick.:waving:

You need to be careful with tranny coolers as there is the possbility of cooling it too much especially in cooler temperatures. A really good cooler will be thermostatically controlled. You really should call the guys I listed above before you install that cooler.

UNISCAPER
12-05-2005, 09:42 AM
"Thanks for the info guys! I will call around tomorrow for a slip yoke. I just bought a different tranny cooler, its huge it has 6 lines and they dwarf my cooler lines now, it also has a electronic fan that pushes 1200cfm. This should do the trick."

It should, except in reverse. ford electronic shift transmissions do not pump oil through the case in reverse. Thus, you put your truck in reverse, strain the thing backing up some hill, stop, put it in park, then back to drive, only to find your truck in a pool of tranny fluid. The problem has never been addressed, even with the newest piece of blue bubble engineering marvel, the Torque Shift.

The E4OD is the worst transmission ever made.

xcopterdoc
12-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Most are OK... not great but OK. I 've seen a few that were junk for sure! And theres about 4 pages in ALLDATA with TSB's and recalls for the E4OD. Most of the real junkers were in the heavy 250's and 350's. Then I've seen remans right out of the box from the dealer that wouldnt do squat after installation. And I've seen shade trees remove one after an internal failure, and install a new one and it goes tits up after a few miles... they never thought to replace the TC or flush the lines and cooler.... so all the old crap went right back into the new one. But all in all.. thinking back... yur right Bill! It is/was a POS! Right along side the early Allison 4 and 5 speeds and the ZF Ford 5 sp manual. (Gotta love that 2 piece flywheel!) Made a lot of money back in the day doing R/R on all 3 trannies!

ERIC ROBERGE
12-06-2005, 01:31 AM
One of the problems that E40D and 4R100s have is blowing an internal snap ring off while in reverse. The torque placed onto one of the drums is a lot higher in reverse and causes it to distort. This causes the snap ring to blow off one of the pistons on the center support. There is an updated spirial snap ring that replaces the stock ring, but that has been known to pop off too. I have heard of tack welding the snap ring into place, but I dont know if that is a good fix.

UNISCAPER
12-06-2005, 10:05 AM
One of the problems that E40D and 4R100s have is blowing an internal snap ring off while in reverse. The torque placed onto one of the drums is a lot higher in reverse and causes it to distort. This causes the snap ring to blow off one of the pistons on the center support. There is an updated spirial snap ring that replaces the stock ring, but that has been known to pop off too. I have heard of tack welding the snap ring into place, but I dont know if that is a good fix.

Correct. And when you consider the Ford designed all of it's transmissions so they only pump oil through the cooler in forward speed gears, when that oil heats up, typically it will implode the front seal and case. The only fix there is available is not to back up, particularaly under load.

AL Inc
12-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Yes Bill, it is challenging plowing snow without using reverse:help: I've owned one Ford truck, a '93 F150 4x4, went through three of those transmissions. Biggest pos I've ever owned. I really don't think I will ever buy another Ford again.

irishgoldcleanups
12-20-2005, 08:57 AM
I did a search but could not find what I needed so I am asking in here. I just had my tranny rebuilt (94 F150 E4OD). Before I had to have it rebuilt it would clunk or bang into reverse 70% of the time and seem to go into reverse nice and smooth the other30%. Well after spending $1590.00 to make it as "heavy duty" as possible it still bangs or clunks into reverse, is this normanl for this tranny?
is the truck fourwheel drive? if so you might have some play in the chain in the transfercase