PDA

View Full Version : Too Good To Be True In Columbia MO?????

bigandy
12-03-2005, 07:07 PM
I am a recent college graduate who has worked for a small landscaping for five years as a crew leader (started out as an internship). I am in the market for another job with my new college degree and since in know the landscaping industry, and got a degree in agricultural economics, (business management), I have applied for a Project Manager position with Rost Landscaping in Columbia Missouri. Anyway while im waiting for them to make up their minds I have supposedly found a prevailing wage job building walls that pays $25 an hour. They are working 10 hour days 5 days a week, and this week they were working saturday and sunday. Saturday is time and a half, sunday is double time, and friday would be overtime so it would be time and a half also. After 20% is taken off for taxes, that would be over $1600 a week. I just wanted to know if the government would find a way to get that money back some way, or if this sounds serious. If anyone local is reading this the company is out of St. Louis, and building the walls in a new development in Columbia. Im also looking for a good job if anyone knows of anything.

Lowes_Landscaping
12-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Andy, where did you get your degree from? I've heard of serveral guys up that way looking for workers.

bigandy
12-04-2005, 08:49 AM
My Degree was from the Universtiy of Missouri, Columbia

hoskm01
12-05-2005, 06:11 AM
Fed tax can be calculated here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf
State tax is a percentage of Federal, Social security, medicare and any other deductions= about 25-28% of your check, give or take. The government doesnt look for ways to take your money, they take based on a given schedule or rate. And remember, you probably won't work 7 days every week, and you need some time off to relax too, at some point.

YardPro
12-06-2005, 07:11 AM
sounds about right for that type of work...

you'll find out in a few years that that money is not all that great for how hard and long you are working....

Redd
12-06-2005, 09:46 PM
bigandy,
Rost Landscaping? Small world......I worked for them part-time over the summer about ten years ago while doing an intern for the county....they were great to work for at that time. Are they still in Columbia or have they moved it all out to Midway? Good luck on your search.

bigandy
12-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Rost has their entire landscape construction business at Midway, but they have a large retail garden center in Columbia, and I think between 100 and 200 acres worth of tree farms in Fayette. They said they were going to extend into perrenials soon and try to be an even larger supplier to all of the smaller local companies. They are definitely growing. To everyone who thinks that I dont realize that the block walls are hard work or that 50-60 hour weeks of stacking blocks wouldnt be fun, I may be young, but this isnt my first rodeo either. Their working around the weather and that was an unusual week, I was just using it as an example.

Lowes_Landscaping
12-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah I was thinking Rost, or Mid-Mo Mowing, even Brickman in St. Louis is looking for supervisors.

Dirty Water
12-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Andy, wall building is horrible hard work, and so is working 6-7 days a week. If your a single guy, with no dependencies, then spend a year or two doing it and save some money up to start your own company.

If your married and/or a parent...don't even think about it...its not worth it.

I used to build poured concrete retaining walls.