PDA

View Full Version : Crushed stone over fill?

MJM landscaping
12-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Customer has cleared an area of trees about 35 feet long by 50 feet wide. It sits about 1 to 2 feet in some areas lower than the grade they want. They are looking to park 2 boats and a 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailers.
Think the best way would be to bring it up almost to grade with fill and then use maybe 6+" of 3/4" stone? Or should I use bigger stone or a deeper amount?
It will need probably a couple dump trucks of fill and a truck of stone. What do think with cost appx.?
I will be renting a skid steer also.

Grassmechanic
12-05-2005, 10:37 AM
The best way would be to remove all the topsoil down to the subsoil. Fill with coarse sand to within 6" of desired grade, compact sand and add more, if necessary. Lay crushed stone on top of sand. Some folks like to put a landscape fabric between the sand and stone.

vntgrcr
12-05-2005, 05:41 PM
The stone is a good idea, but don't use 6+ inches. Get about 6-8" of dense grade/ processed material compact that, then 2-3" of stone. If you use more than the 2-3," tires will start to sink in. You could even compact the stone once you are done. Good luck.

allinearth
12-06-2005, 08:11 AM
How about the trees? Will you fill around them 1-2'. I don't think they will live.

Dreams To Designs
12-06-2005, 11:49 AM
You could fill the really low spots with a firm packing fill and compact the entire sub-grade. As vntgrcr stated, less driveway stone the better. Once the sub-grade is compacted, bring in road base, quarry process, recycled concrete, asphalt millings or 3/4 minus as the driveway base, whichever is readily available and cost effective in your area. Grade and compact that, then compact it again and again. Now is the time to add slope and consider drainage. When you have your base completed, now you can add a decorative driveway stone covering. 3/4" or I prefer 3/8" driveway stone at 2"-3" deep. The decorative stone is optional according to the budget, but the base should be at least 6" deep to handle any load they may decide to park on it.

Kirk

Grassmechanic
12-06-2005, 01:57 PM
How about the trees? Will you fill around them 1-2'. I don't think they will live.
The trees have been cleared, they are no longer there.

bkdlawnCo
12-06-2005, 08:22 PM
I would strip the top soil and bring it up to grade with stone dust, once it gets a good soaking and freezes it'll be like cement and stone dust is pritty cheap stuff, cheaper than a load of stone for sure.

Dirt_Werx
12-08-2005, 10:17 PM
dig it out to the subsoil, lay a bed of 6" minus stone in and cover with approx 4 inches of stone dust, pack that in and backblade good and after this winter it will solid as concrete, also good drainage

blackberry
12-09-2005, 01:36 AM
A concrete slab is not an option?!

start2finish
12-10-2005, 12:28 PM
in my opinion the prep work for a concrete slab would be as significant as the gravel prep. the gravel will be permanent except for erosion, and with maintainance gravel will be good for parking