PDA

View Full Version : Closed versus Open Trailers

Eurosport
12-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Hi What are the Advantages/disadvantages of using a closed trailer?

Trying to decide whether I should use a closed trailer or open trailer for lawn service

PMLAWN
12-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Enclosed= rain, stuff stays dry and you have somewhere to go if it gets hard
easy to lock up
hang a lot of stuff on walls
A work space
no unloading at night
billboard
neater
more storage space

open= cheaper
easy to get at things
lighter
no gas flumes
easier to clean out
no height problems
easier to see around

I prefer the enclosed to the open but I get the 8 foot wide ones so we have a lot of room inside.
We use the opens for debris removal and a light duty residential route that we don't need a lot of stuff for.

POPO4995
12-05-2005, 12:13 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I want one but cant justify it since we do alot of debris removal and hauling, etc.

Eurosport
12-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I prefer the enclosed to the open but I get the 8 foot wide ones so we have a lot of room inside.
We use the opens for debris removal and a light duty residential route that we don't need a lot of stuff for.

Thanks for the input. Also Do you think 7 foot width will do?

PMLAWN
12-05-2005, 05:11 PM
We use the 7 foot wide ones in our handyman division.
Had a 7 footer to start landscape. It will do but- we use 60" decks on the Z mowers That is 5 foot wide which leaves less that a foot on both sides. The racks that you have will be on the inside of the trailer and the whole size of the tool will be in it also- meaning that it is much easier to hit your back on the rack or tool. I KNOW!
Both 7 footers had the wheel house on the outside of the box which left room inside-BUT- the overall width of the 7 foot trailer was wider than our 8'ers with the wheels inside the box. That means less curb damage to the tires. The 7' was a little wider than the dually where the 8 is right in the track.

Also for mowers, we put a 48" or 44" AND a 36" W/B up front SIDE by SIDE.
Than the Z will go behind that and even a 21" behind the Z sideways in a 14 foot trailer. That trailer can handle any of our properties. We can not do that with the 7' trailers.

Our 8' trailers are both 04 and are the Pace Summit landscape trailers, well set up from the factory but with E track on the walls at 18" and 48"- 6" of extra height- 10,000# weight cap.- and spare tire rack, (but no tire)- Out the door about $5200.00 We bought 1 new 7x14 Cargosport by pace and it was about $3900.00, the other was used- 1 year old in 2002 and paid $2600.00 for it. Our open 6x16, 5000# with brakes was $1500.00 and our 6.5x12 3000# no brakes was just over 800.
We just picked up a used Pace Journey- the cheapest model they make- 5x10 enclosed and in like new shape for $900. It is just a tool storage trailer for rehab homes so the fact that we can not stand up in it is not too bad but if you want a landscape trailer make sure it is tall enough.

South Florida Lawns
12-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Last week spent $4600 out the door on a cargomate enclosed trailer. So far it has been great. Here is why I bought one.

More secure/less things to lock.
No messing with tarps in the rain.
Store more tools and can have a workshop on board.
Place to take a break from sun.
You can store it anywhere.
Huge rolling billboard.

RedWingsDet
12-06-2005, 10:01 PM
I have an 8.5 x 20. I had 4 open trailers before this one. The open trailers are great, but I like the enclosed trailers more. They are a tad harder to manouver, but its worth it.

bjlawn1
12-06-2005, 10:52 PM
I bought a enclosed trailor(7*18) this year and love it. It works just as good for leaf removale as an open trailor.

mcwlandscaping
12-06-2005, 11:53 PM
I bought a enclosed trailor(7*18) this year and love it. It works just as good for leaf removale as an open trailor.
How does it work as well as an open for leaf removal, seems like gettin the leaves outta an enclosed trailer would be a royal pita

RedWingsDet
12-07-2005, 11:00 AM
How does it work as well as an open for leaf removal, seems like gettin the leaves outta an enclosed trailer would be a royal pita

Nope. I put leaves in my trailer. I just bought a huge 30ft tarp and when im done, I hook the tarp up to the mower or car and pull the tarp right on out.

horseman201
12-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Nope. I put leaves in my trailer. I just bought a huge 30ft tarp and when im done, I hook the tarp up to the mower or car and pull the tarp right on out.

That was my question and only reason for not getting an enclosed. That would work for what I need to do on leaves. You have convienced me to get an enclosed and still keep my open trailer.

R & R Yard Designs
12-31-2005, 09:07 PM
I bought a 8.5 *22 cargo mate, and i love it, there is just enough room in the front for the work bench and all the mowers (61 buton with bagger, 52 ferris dd,32 ferris, and two 21 walks) and all the trimmers on the walls and shovels on the other side in pvc tubes put on an angle. and when i have to go out and play on the week end take all the work stuff out and, still can wench the toys in it.

LonniesLawns
01-01-2006, 09:25 PM
or try this

http://www.groundtradesxchange.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=21511

http://www.groundtradesxchange.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=21512

http://www.groundtradesxchange.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=21513

esshaki
01-01-2006, 09:31 PM
thats sweet, did u build it custom, or buy it. I would really like having that kind of trailer...

LonniesLawns
01-03-2006, 01:32 AM
I had it built for me. Had to have an enclosed mfg and open mfg work together to do it.