PDA

View Full Version : Stumped

dtxwizard
12-05-2005, 11:36 AM
well here's the story

about 8 years ago I did a small renovation as a side job that involved removing 6 stumps

well I had the stumps ground out and then I removed the mess from the grinder and filled with a clay/sand mix and about 4 inches of top soil and seeded with the rest of the lawn

now that I am going into this business for my self the customer finds out and calls me out to show me that he now has 6- 8 to 10 inch deep hollow spots where the stumps were he's not upset just wanted to let me know so it does'nt happen to me again

he says they started developing over the last 2 years

now in spring i have a similar job that will involve about 30 stumps

any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated

thanks da wiz

Drew Gemma
12-05-2005, 01:35 PM
grind extra deep then pack the hole full of gravel then put 8 -10 inches of soil over top.

o-so-n-so
12-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Just tell the customer what to expect over the next several years. Ask him to call you back if he wants top soil in a few years.

sheshovel
12-06-2005, 12:56 AM
8 YEARS AGO?Geeeze hope he wasnot blaming you for it.

impactlandscaping
12-06-2005, 02:48 AM
Just tell the customer what to expect over the next several years. Ask him to call you back if he wants top soil in a few years.

Exactly..there are differing conditions present at any job that are going to be completely different every time, all the time. It's a science, but it's not rocket science. Generally, people are understanding and are willing to accept things may and will change in their landscapes down the road. That's why we keep in touch with previous / one time clients...they are the easiest to re-sell or upsell to.

Mowing Mike
12-06-2005, 08:13 AM
The problem that made the spot sink was probably that when the stumps were ground they probably did not grind deep enough. You need to grind thru the stump depth until you see only dirt. Then you must remove all stump grindings and refill the hole. If you use top soil with a lot of organic matter than that will cause settling to. Pack the dirt tight then loosen the top for seeding. That should prevent the holes from sinking later.

mike

TURFLORD
12-07-2005, 06:58 AM
I can't tell ya how many times I see guys regrading areas of all sizes and not compacting the soil. I've done several of those jobs. Dig out all the chip and when refilling the hole you have to compact as you go. Every 6" or so. If you don't have a tamper just use your feet, make that gut work for you :D . Scratch the top with a garden weasel and throw down seed.