PDA

View Full Version : Want to get mulching jobs done fast??

mcwlandscaping
12-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Then check this out!! A bit overboard for most it seems but i thought it was pretty cool!!

http://www.mulchmule.com/index.html

jmurphy
12-05-2005, 05:38 PM
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! $46,000 thou.

kc2006
12-05-2005, 05:54 PM
A local lco has two of those, doesn't make sense to me. I mean its great that it fills the wheelbarrel fast for you but still alot of labor spreading the mulch. This year I'm contacting another company that has a mulch blower. He charges $18 a yard for labor, I charge $40 a yard labor, I make 22 bucks a yard and giving me extra time to do more profitable jobs, priceless.

walker-talker
12-05-2005, 06:19 PM
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! $46,000 thou.
For that much it just doesn't seem logical, unless you had lots and lots of jobs to pay for itself. The video showed it unload out the back also....I wonder if you could run rock through it. The video showed a leaf loader hooked up to it....this is like a $10,000 option. I seen one at the GIE a couple years ago. The loader itself is only something like $5K.

topsites
12-05-2005, 06:25 PM
A local lco has two of those, doesn't make sense to me. I mean its great that it fills the wheelbarrel fast for you but still alot of labor spreading the mulch. This year I'm contacting another company that has a mulch blower. He charges $18 a yard for labor, I charge $40 a yard labor, I make 22 bucks a yard and giving me extra time to do more profitable jobs, priceless.

Well I agree with you but for one thing...
I, too, contract out jobs over 12 yards to the blower guys because they charge $40/yard... But that's all we charge, $40-$45/yard includes the mulch, labor, everything... Different parts of the country, perhaps...

Still...
46 thousand for the mule, man, it is going to be a long time coming before I give up the 10-tine pitchfork load method. I would have to do nothing BUT mulch year-round with a mule for that machine to pay for itself, and even then it only saves me a few seconds per barrow and it's 7 barrows/yard... It only takes me 2 to 2.5 minutes to load AND dump, so what, 45 seconds to load?
So if you do 10 yards/day (that's enough mulch for me), times 7 = 70 barrows x .75 minutes = 45 minutes / day = $35 labor saved, roughly.

Well about the only thing it would do is get me home up to an hour sooner... 46k for that ?

35 x 6 = 210 dollars/ week saved ? But lets not forget the additional 2 tires for the extra axle and the added weight which you spend on lost fuel (mpg). So, save 180 / week but don't forget you have to do MORE mulch than you did before in order to see the difference, I dunno, 46 thousand at the tune of $200/week, I'd rather buy a new car for all that.

Now if ALL you do is mulch, then maybe I can see it.

chopsticks33
12-05-2005, 06:47 PM
yeah its great and all, but it sets you back $46000!!

scagwildcat
12-05-2005, 07:00 PM
just take the chute off your sander its the same thing!!!!!

MacLawnCo
12-05-2005, 07:20 PM
you guys that are getting hung up on the price- what does your labor cost you? what are labor savings worth to you? what would it be worth to you to increase your production with no labor increases?

To me, these things are priceless. When I have the volume to support this machine, I will certainly invest in one. If you cant see the value in it, then that is your issue.

Look at the companys that are using them. Do you really think they dont know what they are doing? I wont name names, but there is at least one top 100 company using these things. I guarantee if the numbers didnt work out, they wouldnt own one.

DLCS
12-05-2005, 07:43 PM
you guys that are getting hung up on the price- what does your labor cost you? what are labor savings worth to you? what would it be worth to you to increase your production with no labor increases?

To me, these things are priceless. When I have the volume to support this machine, I will certainly invest in one. If you cant see the value in it, then that is your issue.

Look at the companys that are using them. Do you really think they dont know what they are doing? I wont name names, but there is at least one top 100 company using these things. I guarantee if the numbers didnt work out, they wouldnt own one.

I agree, but the initial cost is hard to get over. But if you do alot of mulch then this would be the time saver.

PMLAWN
12-05-2005, 07:47 PM
I would think that it would be cheaper to have it blown in if you did that much mulch.

gene gls
12-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Looks like a converted feed wagon that farmers use to feed live stock in a feed lot area....

Hard Worker
12-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Speaking of "blowing mulch" does anyone have an idea as to what the costs for one of these systms are? Is there a good website that shows these blowers?

davidcalhoun
12-05-2005, 08:49 PM
It's modified farm silage wagon. Maybe someone could buy a used silage wake and adapt it to suit their needs. It would be a lot cheaper than $46K.

mowlancaster
12-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Speaking of "blowing mulch" does anyone have an idea as to what the costs for one of these systms are? Is there a good website that shows these blowers?
Ya, check out www.expressblower.com. My company runs one of these trucks, and we did right around 6,000 yards of mulch this year. I put on about 4,500 yards of that myself. I run the truck, and have a high school kid with me, just to help me drag hose, and run the blower to clean up behind me. Our truck holds 20 yards, their smallest model. I can easily do 60 yards on a good day at a commercial job like a nursing home or office complex. Believe me when I say that I was tired of seeing mulch every day by the end of July! :)
These trucks have some pretty incredible erosion control capabilities too, but we haven't gotten into that segment at all. Some of the other truck owners I've spoken with say that a truck like this is almost a business in itself, and we are discovering that. There are 3 companies besides us in the Lancaster/York area that own Express Blower trucks, and between those three companies they own 6 trucks, all of them 40-yds or bigger.

Not sure on the cost, but a new one will run close to $200,000 depending on size.

Check out our website for more info - www.greencarelandscape.com

MacLawnCo
12-05-2005, 11:45 PM
EB listed a used 60yd unit for $300k.

befnme
12-05-2005, 11:59 PM
from the site
" Spare tire (mounting bracket already on machine) $450.00 "

somethin tells me they want more for their stuff than it is worth ......

450.00 for a freakin tire ...no thanks

Precision
12-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Ya, check out www.expressblower.com. My company runs one of these trucks, and we did right around 6,000 yards of mulch this year. I put on about 4,500 yards of that myself. I run the truck, and have a high school kid with me, just to help me drag hose, and run the blower to clean up behind me. Our truck holds 20 yards, their smallest model. I can easily do 60 yards on a good day at a commercial job like a nursing home or office complex. Believe me when I say that I was tired of seeing mulch every day by the end of July! :)
These trucks have some pretty incredible erosion control capabilities too, but we haven't gotten into that segment at all. Some of the other truck owners I've spoken with say that a truck like this is almost a business in itself, and we are discovering that. There are 3 companies besides us in the Lancaster/York area that own Express Blower trucks, and between those three companies they own 6 trucks, all of them 40-yds or bigger.

Not sure on the cost, but a new one will run close to $200,000 depending on size.

depending on bells and whistles a new 40 or 60 yard truck runs $300 - 350K. a factory refurbished one runs from $220-$280K.

I am looking at getting one in fall of 2007.

seasonallandscape
12-06-2005, 08:50 PM
i would think blown in would be alot cheaper in labor and easier caues there is no spreading if you are good

AintNoFun
12-06-2005, 09:11 PM
just take the chute off your sander its the same thing!!!!!

i agree, i have actually seen someone do that and it worked quite well actually. i'd be to scared to do it with our sanders though...

for 50 g. you could buy a decent used skidsteer and 2 decent concrete buggys that would run circles around that thing...

Hard Worker
12-07-2005, 09:58 PM

mowlancaster is there a way I can contact you? I had a few questions I wanted to ask concerning you or your companies blower. Thanks

balmd
12-09-2005, 06:56 PM
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/forsale/detail.asp?OHID=4924031&guid=3267289A42E34B14BD3AB97F83DA66A8

Cheap:cool:

rgjlawn
03-05-2006, 03:26 PM
depending on bells and whistles a new 40 or 60 yard truck runs $300 - 350K. a factory refurbished one runs from $220-$280K.

I am looking at getting one in fall of 2007.
We just bought a new 1208 Finn on 4300 IH, 155000.00 plus:dizzy:

rgjlawn
03-05-2006, 03:28 PM
We just bought a new 1208 Finn on 4300 IH, 155000.00 plus:dizzy:
SOLD our mulch mule.

Groundcover Solutions
03-08-2006, 10:00 PM

I see the guy in the photo is not using a glove!! Man I can only imagen how sore and dirty your hand would be after one day! Man mine gets wasted and I ware a glove all day! We run 4 EB 60's between the two devisions of our comapny and blowing mulch and soil is all we do. We are not owned by a landscaping comapny ether just work for them.