PDA

View Full Version : 6500 gasser

tnmtn
12-05-2005, 08:29 PM
i'm looking at a 6500 series dump with a gas engine. it is the 8.1 with a 6.17 rear end.also has an allison automatic tranny. the price is right, and it is in excellant shape. anyone have any opinions about this type of set-up? i would prefer diesel but they seem very expensive or high milage comparitively. it will be used mostly as a tow vehicle for a 6-7 ton trailer. occasionally loads of dirt or rock. i don't see much need to tow with a load in the dump.
thanks for the opinions,
metin

lawnmaniac883
12-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Im sure you know this already but, that combo is going to eat some kindof gas...

tnmtn
12-05-2005, 10:00 PM
yep, been told around 6 miles per gal. if anyone knows better i'd love to hear it.

Jpocket
12-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Depends on how you use it, will it be worked day in day out, say running all day without shutting off, be pushed to the limit often. If the truck will do the above you definitly need the diesel. However if it will be used for short trips and a few days aweek, I'd say go for the gasser. For instance if you just hauling a heavy load to the jobsite with a bobcat in tow, and then stay there all day the gasser would be perfect. Then if you do the above, and are running back and forth with loads all day, you need the diesel.

Gravel Rat
12-06-2005, 02:42 PM
To start off that truck is a 3 ton so its not a very heavy duty truck legally a F-550 would almost carry the same load. The second problem its got a 496 gas pot which I'am surprised it has the truck must be fairly new so it might be fuel injected it should get you 4-5 mpg max load it up 3mpg.

The 3rd problem is that rotten automatic that thing sucks up 50% of the engines power it will make the truck burn twice as much fuel. You foot will be constantly to the floor you will be able to hear the gas tanks collaspsing inwards. If there as a fuel gauge in there you can watch the needle drop as you climb a hill :laugh:

The reason why the truck is cheap is its a gas pot, 3 ton truck, Allison automatic its not what someone wants. A truck like that would make a good pit truck or a truck you only use on a site where it never goes on a public road if it does only goes once and a while.

If you want to use the truck for your business and hope to save money with it not a chance. The truck will burn tons of fuel and when ever that Allison decided to blow up watch out very expensive to repair.

tnmtn
12-06-2005, 06:24 PM
the truck in question is one of the converted hertz/penske trucks. originally i thought it was a crazy combination. i did however, run into a driver on his way back to florida from tennessee with it and he had nothing but good things to say about it. he worked for a contractor in tampa and this was the third one of these trucks the contractor had bought over the last year. said the gas milage wasn't as good as a diesel but not that much worse either, maybe 2-3 mpg less than the same size trucks with a diesel. the driver drives them everyday and really liked it. very strong endorsement from him. thats what got me thinking if anyone else had experiance with them. thanks for the opinions, and keep them coming. i apprecate all the feedback i can get.
metin

hosejockey2002
12-06-2005, 07:12 PM
To start off that truck is a 3 ton so its not a very heavy duty truck legally a F-550 would almost carry the same load

Not even close, man. The F550's max. GVWR is 19,000, and the C6500 is available in a GVWR up to 26,000. The 8.1 gas is fuel injected, of course, as virtually every gas engine produced in the last 15 years is. With 6:17 gears it won't be great on gas but power will certainly not be a problem. If he gets a good deal on the truck it might make sense, with diesel being considerably more expensive than gas.

lawnmaniac883
12-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Hope it isnt a higher mileage engine...if it is, have fun trying to rebuild a 8.1L

tnmtn
12-06-2005, 07:56 PM
milage is between 85,000 and 100,000. the comparable diesels i have been looking at are much higher milage. my thought was rebuilding an 8.1 wouldn't be as expensive as rebuilding a diesel. i could be wrong.
thanks for the comments,
metin

lawnmaniac883
12-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Possibly not, but a rebuild on a diesel will get you another ~250,000-300,000 miles.

Gravel Rat
12-07-2005, 03:19 AM
You figure that 6500 is going to weigh minimum 14-15,000lbs empty and if the truck does have a gvw of 26,000lbs it leaves you with a 11,000lb payload.

A F-550 with a gvw of 19,000lbs the truck will weigh 9000lbs empty leaves you with a 10,000lb payload.

The 6500 trucks usually only have a 8100lb front axle the rear axle will prolly be a 17,000lb.

Anyhow I really wouldn't buy a gas pot medium duty your not doing yourself any favors. That truck isn't going to get any better than 4-5 mpg the local school bus fleet runs 6500 Chev/Bluebird gas pot 72 passenger busses they will burn 300 dollars of fuel like nothing. The gvw on the busses are 25,000lbs they run 366 on propane and 454s injected on regular gas with 5spds.

They also have a new bluebird vision 35,000lb gvw with 7.2 Cat power it gets double the fuel mileage the gas pots and will out run the gas pots and its a signicantly heavier bus. It runs a 23,000lb rear axle and 12,000lb front axle.

Jpocket
12-07-2005, 08:48 AM
You still haven't stated what specifically the truck will be used for. If it occasional use I would say look for a late 80's c60 with a 366 gas or a 3208 Cat and a manual trans. These trucks are cheap now, and to get one all redone and mechanically sound, would cost you under $7,000. Might even come with a plow. But if your not mechanically incline disregard what i just said.:D

tnmtn
12-07-2005, 11:16 AM
i have a bobcat B300 andk i will be using the truck to tow it with primarily. i normally won't be hauling loads of material with it. maybe 2-3 times a month. most the time it will tow the backhoe and sit parked while the backhoe works. i have a good tandem axle dump truck to call for bigger loads. the backhoe makes more than the dump truck so i won't be looking to hire it out. the weight of the backhoe and trailer is 12,000 to13,000 lbs. also the empty weight of the truck including the dump bed is around 10,000 lbs. i haven't bought it yet and am still shopping. not looking to buy till february. just trying to get others ideas to explore all options. i have thought of going with an older truck but at the same time would like to avoidthe downtime that may be associated with an older truck.
thanks for all the help with this and keep it coming.
metin

Jpocket
12-07-2005, 01:44 PM
if I were you id get an old c60 and be done with it if the truck is just gonna pull the bobcat with no load. There are some nice 10 year old INternationals out ther two 4900's with the DT466 in it, i'd rather have a CAT though. I'm sure you could get a good deal on one of these.

Gravel Rat
12-07-2005, 02:06 PM
If your looking for a cheaper 5 ton look at a Freightliner FL-70 or FL-80 with either 3126 Cat or 8.3 ISC power with a 10spd behind it. There is lots of them out there prolly find one with a good price. You do know a gasser truck that sits isn't a good truck a gasser truck really should be run every day.

Anyhow I don't think you will find anything cheaper to run than your tandem it would burn less fuel than that 6500 GMC.

The excavation contractors here use their tandem axle dump and 20 ton tag to move all there equipment either it be a 6000lb skid steer they rented to their 160 size excavator.