PDA

View Full Version : going from small business to large business with out even knowing it

sparcolawn
12-06-2005, 11:55 AM
I've always been told "keep your business small and simple and you'll do just fine." ... so i did for the past 5 years i've been staying busy with 25 mowing accounts and 5-10 installs a year making enough money to support myself (i'm 20 y/o) suddenly this summer i was given the oppertunity to take care of a local prep school in my town which on a typical mowing day takes roughly 12 hours to finish with 3-4 mowers and 2 hours of string trimming (2 guys) and now i've been given the appoval for next year to do everything in the landscaping field from march 1-december 1.... the work load is much more stressful now and much bigger, but i guess its a good thing because so isnt my bank account:D ... i guess the point to this story is that you sometimes get over the top when you least expect it and to just keep rolling with it... good luck to all!

zim bob the landscaper
12-08-2005, 04:00 PM
nice story i have 6 mowing accounts as of now, and its part time but we do other stuff too. i love it and i want to own the company some day i want to get big my dad said the saame thing keep it small which im not gonna listen
any ways good luck which i probably need it more than you but o well

sparcolawn
12-09-2005, 07:04 AM
being a big business isnt so much a bad thing, its def. more income, but when more income comes more headaches... i now have one full time employee, one guy that is ready to work as soon as i call, and two that are ready with a days notice, i recommend finding the work before you get the man power first, last year i found myself w/ that one full time guy and not enough work which needless to say.. is not very proftable. but good luck, and if you have any questions im here to help.

zim bob the landscaper
12-12-2005, 08:27 PM
ok ill keep that in mind

cash_money
12-13-2005, 11:18 PM
keeping a small is good if the price is right. yea you man get a contract that pays 400.00 each time for a four hour job just for the mowing part which i got big mistake at the time but still keeping it tho thats 1600.00 a month, cause while you were trying to keep up that on that big prop, look at how many more you could of done in six or so hours alot more then 400.00 dollars i tell you if you get the right jobs. remember its all bout the("PRICE NOT THE QUANTITY")in this biz. yea sure some people may have 70, 80, or even 90 accounts but then there might be a guy who has half of that and still make more money or even double that amount. i can go for ever bout this stuff bout time is money.:gunsfirin

look at it this way

$XX.00x4 times mowing it X how many months you mow (i do 6) X that by how many accounts you have for that price and still see how much money you would make to see if you would to that on the big job.

hope everything goes good next next man

thanks
mike

cash_money
12-13-2005, 11:22 PM
cash_money]keeping a small is good if the price is right. yea you man get a contract that pays 400.00 each time for a four hour job just for the mowing part which i got big mistake at the time but still keeping it tho thats 1600.00 a month, cause while you were trying to keep up that on that big prop, look at how many more you could of done in six or so hours alot more then 400.00 dollars i tell you if you get the right jobs. remember its all bout the("PRICE NOT THE QUANTITY")in this bizpayup . yea sure some people may have 70, 80, or even 90 accounts but then there might be a guy who has half of that and still make more money or even double that amount. i can go for ever bout this stuff bout time is money.:gunsfirin

look at it this way if you want to see how much you would make off of jobs per year look below

$XX.00x4 times mowing it X how many months you mow (i do 6) X that by how many accounts you have for that price and still see how much money you would make to see if you would want to take on that big job.

hope everything goes good next next man

thanks
mike

LawnsRUsInc.
01-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Good Job sparcolawn. I would have to agree with that bigger is not always better but me having 2 employees year 1 and now my 3rd year 12 full time employees i have a much better buying power. I would rather cut 1 commercial property for 6 hours than cut 6 1 hour residential lawns. What a headache!!!

ALarsh
01-31-2006, 10:51 PM
Good Job sparcolawn. I would have to agree with that bigger is not always better but me having 2 employees year 1 and now my 3rd year 12 full time employees i have a much better buying power. I would rather cut 1 commercial property for 6 hours than cut 6 1 hour residential lawns. What a headache!!!

Send the residentials my way. :waving:

FinerCutslawnCare
02-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Good job man! Keep it going....