PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for playground construction

Stuttering Stan
12-06-2005, 02:05 PM
I am trying to work up a bid for a 32'x32' box, 4x4's stacked 2 high (about 9" high), then filled with playground mulch around already existing palyground equipment. If I figure right, that's 3,072 sq ft. (I believe 1yd of mulch covers 100 sqft 3"thick). So I need 30 yards/mulch. Along with about 256 ft. of 4x4x12. For all you estimating experts, does this sound right.

BSDeality
12-06-2005, 02:17 PM
how does 2 x 4" = about 9" high? you need a base course!. you'll need a minimum of 3 rows, 4 ideally.

In CT playground mulch has to be >12" deep and the mulch has to meet specifics for compaction (wheel chair access)

LB1234
12-06-2005, 05:20 PM
We've installed playground utilizing PT lumber. Do yourself a favor and get rid of the 4x4 idea and go with the 6x6. A 4x4 will twist, warp, split, etc. and look awful after only two years. The 6x6's (obviously my personal opinion) last much, much longer. Plus sitting two 6x6 on top of one another will give you 11 inches (~5.5" actual). If you sink the bottom one 5 inches that leaves you with 6" above the ground. Place 4" of playground mulch on top of the landscape fabric leaving a 2" height (theoritically of course) to help prevent the mulch from being kicked out by the kids.

As for your question....to make it a minimum of 9" high you will need 4 courses of 4x4's. They measure ~3.5" You will need to sink one and place three on top of that to get 9". If you work with 16 footers you will need two a side....four sides....four courses....32 Qty. 4x4x16. CAUTION....the layout would need to be slighlt less than 32'x32' to have overlap at the corners. So it's probablly better to make it 31'4" x 31'4" to allow for the overlap. Don't know if this is an option. Take out a piece of graph paper and trace...makes life a whole lot easier.

If you are attempting to fill the 'box' leaving ~1" at the top....I'd estimate for 8" deep. So....32x32=1024sq.ft.....8" deep yields ~700 cu.ft.....27cu.ft in a yard gives me....~26 cu.yds of mulch.

Precision
12-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I would seriously check out the state and local rules for playground environment before you did anything.

I don't know what your rot situation is on PTE lumber in CT. But here (Florida) for the underground layer, you are looking at 3 maybe 4 years tops.

Depending on the type of mulch you are using will determine coverage. Shredded cypress bark is 110 sq ft at 2 inches. Pine bark is 75 sq ft at 2 inches, cypress chip is 120 sq ft at 2 inches.

If the law requires 12 inches as noted above, then you are looking at 80 yards of pine bark or 51 yards for cypress chip. As far as the 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 you will want to go with 10 ft sections and run them to overlap at the corners as well as a 2 foot overlap at each middle joint. Otherwise that stuff is gonna come crashing down the first time someone hits it hard.

Suggestion.

Make the frame and sub the mulch to a blower truck guy. for arguments sake his price per yard $45 charge $47.50 - 50 per yard plus your construction fee and be in and out in a couple of hours.

Stuttering Stan
12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
I was quoted $31/yard for "playground mulch". Does one yard of mulch = 100 sqft 3"thick?

LB1234
12-06-2005, 10:26 PM
As far as the 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 you will want to go with 10 ft sections and run them to overlap at the corners as well as a 2 foot overlap at each middle joint. Otherwise that stuff is gonna come crashing down the first time someone hits it hard.

Thanks for pointing that out...I forgot about overlapping the boards...whoops

BSDeality
12-06-2005, 10:38 PM
I was quoted $31/yard for "playground mulch". Does one yard of mulch = 100 sqft 3"thick?a yard should in theory cover 108ft^2 @ 3" thick. When i estimate I use 100ft^2 to run my numbers. better to have a little extra than not quite enough when you're more than 10 min's from a supplier.

BSDeality
12-06-2005, 10:57 PM
here is a link I found reguarding playground safety.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/325.pdf

Stuttering Stan
12-07-2005, 02:11 PM
So if my numbers are right, I need to get 50 yards and and 256 ft of wood. What kind of price is needed, I guess about $60/yard and add about 40% ontop of the price of wood. Any suggestions?

Precision
12-07-2005, 07:11 PM
I get $60 per yard for mulch, but my cost on mulch is $30 for the cypress chips (known also as playground mulch).

for the wood (screws, bolts, corner braces etc), you should have some kind of mark up on that 25-50% plus the labor for assembly at your rate ($45-75 per hour).

vadeere
12-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Here's what I would do. Triple the cost of the mulch or better yet in your case take this number and subtract 10% for a volume discount, it's your choice. Note this is to buy and lay the mulch, your delivery charge will be in addition. Mark the lumber and hardware up moderately and charge your time to go get it. Remember not everyone has the vehicle and trailer to get 256ft of 6x6 so charge accordingly ( I would charge $75 and hour). Then bill your labor at $40 per hour per person. This is what I would do, and I think this is fair to both parties. Remember it's your decsion because it's your name on the door. Good Luck

AGLA
12-08-2005, 07:44 AM
I'm curious about something. This is 32'x32'. That is one huge playground area. That makes me wonder if it is a private single family residence or if it is multifamily or something else. If it is not a single family residence, it would be a good idea to check with building department for any standards that must be met including type of mulch.

In any case, the play equipment manufacturer usually has a specification for the material under the equipment.

This is not a project that you can take lightly because you are dealing with children. Not only are you dealing with children, but you are dealing with activities where injuries and accidents are common. Even at a single family residence with people you know are not going to sue you, there is great potential for their friends and neighbors to use the area and get hurt.

The project seems to be focused on how cheaply it can be built. That is OK as long as the manufacturers specifications and any local code are met. Make sure you are adequately insured for this and make sure that there is not a plan with specifications that has been approved that someone has not told you about.

Anytime you get involved with desing and specifications where there is potential for injury, you have to dot your i's and cross your t's before you sharpen your pencil to control costs. These two things work against each and the more you shrink your price, the higher your vulnerability goes up, and the less you are making on the job to cover the risk.

stumper1620
12-08-2005, 08:21 AM
This is expensive but, I recommend you check into rubber mulch.
safety certified for playgrounds. It don't need to be as deep as regular mulch and it last for years, High investment now longer life and much safer are big benifits, also, keep in mind that you as the designer,installer are carrying the bigger load of liability.
Whatever you do don't skimp on safety, Falls happen on playgrounds everyday.
Design it safe and up to standards.
this site has a lot of safety info on it.
http://www.ipema.org/

Stuttering Stan
12-13-2005, 11:04 AM
This project is for the playground in a new subdivision. The developer just put playground equipment on dirt. The HOA want me to put a box around it for safety sake. Rubber mulch is not in the bid information.

stumper1620
12-14-2005, 06:52 PM
This project is for the playground in a new subdivision. The developer just put playground equipment on dirt. The HOA want me to put a box around it for safety sake. Rubber mulch is not in the bid information.
give 2 bids, one for regular mulch and one for rubber mulch, along with the bids provide info about both ways of doing it and the safety aspect of it, I would not provide a bid and feel good about it, if I did not provide the information about the different ways it can be done, and the proper way it should be done.