PDA

View Full Version : Pallet Mulch

EarthWorks
03-31-2001, 07:54 AM
Recently found a bulk supplier for red dyed mulch. They are grinding up pallets and then adding dye. My only question is how well do ground up pallets hold up as mulch. One person I talked to said it will break down much faster than the hardwood mulch I currently use because it has no bark in it. They also have undyed mulch that I think resembles cypress in color. Any experience with that? They said that if I wanted to order enough they would dye it any color I wanted. Anyone ever seen purple or blue mulch? LOL

FIREMAN
03-31-2001, 08:49 AM
I personally do all I can to avoid pallet mulch, I have found nails in it, along with other types of garbage. I was told by someone, and can't vouch for their knowledge or expierience, that pallet mulch attracts termites...true or false I don't know. Also the nails seem like a liability issue to me, someone walking barefoot gets nail stuck in foot, in todays litiguous world it might be worth a few hundred thousand in a law suit.

little green guy
03-31-2001, 10:35 PM
same here, I've found all sorts of things in pallet mulch along with nails, I even found a used comdon in there once. That wasn't to nice.

GreenQuest Lawn
04-01-2001, 12:43 AM
I have been using pallet mulch for years and have never found anything besides mulch in it. Mabey it gets screened better around here.

neighborguy
04-01-2001, 12:25 PM
I have tried to stay away from the pallet mulches because I have heard of problems with the dye holding. After a few rain falls you ends up with the dye fading which leaves you with a dull gray look. I know that the bark mulch fades also but it is more slowly and leaves a better look in my opinion.