PDA

View Full Version : light!!

zim bob the landscaper
12-06-2005, 08:38 PM
how much do u charge for doing a medium size xmas lighting job i was thinking 100 per house plus cost of lights tell me if thats to low or to high

capitallandscapes
12-06-2005, 09:59 PM
We charge $55 per hour w/ a 6hr minimum. We also only give estimates, not bids for holiday lighting because sometimes it takes longer than you think it will.

zim bob the landscaper
12-07-2005, 03:11 PM
We charge $55 per hour w/ a 6hr minimum. We also only give estimates, not bids for holiday lighting because sometimes it takes longer than you think it will.
thanks man for the info next year we might get into that i hope so

cleancutccl
12-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey capital do you get most of your stuff through creative designs? I thought they were just a supplier until I saw them putting up street lights in Shawnee Mission. Are they tough competition for you KC installers?

RedWingsDet
12-08-2005, 04:34 PM
It all depends on the house. If its one story or two story. How many bushes they have. How high up... also do forget to factor in where the outlets are.

So instead I just bill it hourly, per man hour + materials.

capitallandscapes
12-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Hey capital do you get most of your stuff through creative designs? I thought they were just a supplier until I saw them putting up street lights in Shawnee Mission. Are they tough competition for you KC installers?
Yes, we get most of our supplies from Creative Displays b/c they carry everything we use and are 2 miles from my house. The installation side of the business was sold a few years ago.

zim bob the landscaper
12-08-2005, 10:48 PM
have any of u guys ever blew a fuse for so much lighting??

Wells
12-09-2005, 01:50 AM
have any of u guys ever blew a fuse for so much lighting??
It's really easy to overload a breaker, I try not to run more than 100' to 150' of C9 lighting on any one circuit. If you don't split your lights up and run them on different circuits you run a good chance of tripping breakers.

zim bob the landscaper
12-18-2005, 02:32 AM
thanks for the info guys

gglawns
12-20-2005, 02:57 AM
Forgive the dumb question but I had to ask. When you get your lights from the supplier how do you make them custom fit to the house? For example when a house has a small part in the roof that is only about 5 feet, how do you light that and not show any lights around it or leading up to it?

capitallandscapes
12-20-2005, 02:51 PM
We buy c-9 on 1000ft rolls and cut it to fit. WWW.CREATIVEDISPLAYS.COM

nelbuts
12-21-2005, 12:04 AM
If you you are using mini lights you can buy black out caps. Or you can cut at the mid point. Minis are wire in series of 50 or 35.

For example take a string of 100 follow the wires and you will see three wires then it goes to two and right back to three. Cut at the two wire point and put on a plug and you have shortened your string. Lights of 70 are the same cut mark is between 35 and 36.

I do not use C9's any longer as they burn way too much electric for my home. But C7 5 watt bulbs I use. You can cut that anywhere because it is wired as a normal light. Get some shrink tubing and seal your ends and you are good to go.

If you want to see my house you can visit my web site at:
www.ridgeharborchristmas.com

Firefly Lighting
07-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Forgive the dumb question but I had to ask. When you get your lights from the supplier how do you make them custom fit to the house? For example when a house has a small part in the roof that is only about 5 feet, how do you light that and not show any lights around it or leading up to it?

You cut the wire between lamps and use quick connectors plugs and sockets to tie them back into the power.

mrusk
09-30-2006, 07:41 PM
How do you guys know if your overloading a circuit or not? I assume you need to keep track of the amps?

Matt

ericlemson
10-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Anybody have any photos of their work?

Mike M
10-05-2006, 09:37 PM
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/31914

Are these the quick connectors firefly referred too? Where can I find these?

Mike

Mike M
10-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Nevermind... I found the quick connectors on All American Christmas Lights.