PDA

View Full Version : New tilt bed trailer

Weedburner
12-06-2005, 11:21 PM
I'm going to buy a new tilt bed 12000 lb utility trailer this winter. Trying to decide if I want a full bed or partial tilt and gravity or electric. Have looked at several brands. Anyone using a tilt bed and have experience to share?

Scag48
12-07-2005, 12:47 AM
I would choose neither of those, here's why. First, a true gravity tilt will hit the ground when the pin is pulled and when you drive up on the deck it will hit the frame just as fast if you're not careful. An electric tilt I could see being somewhat handy for locking the bed in the upright position to load attachments without sending the deck back down on the frame. But that's alot of weight just sitting there for an extended amount of time. Plus, if the power fails, you're screwed unless your truck has a hot lead to the battery for the pump, most do so this probably isn't a problem. The best way to go is a cushioned tilt most have one cylinder but some have 2. That way you can drive up on the trailer and it slowly settles down on the frame nice and easy. Gravity tilts are just a little too tipsy for my liking.