PDA

View Full Version : truck size

tractrpowr45
12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi, I am going to be purchasing a truck in the spring to pull a 10,000 lb gvw trailer and I was wondering if a half ton pickup would be enough to tow it.
The most I will ever tow is approx. 6000 lbs on trailer. I was thinking of getting a 1500 or 2500 GMC. 2WD or 4WD? What would you guys recomend?:help:

RedWingsDet
12-07-2005, 10:18 PM
I would get a 2500hd, its much better than a halfton, it has a bigger motor, better breaks and better trans. the biggest factor I think is the trans and brakes, besides the towing capicity. Im a huge beliver in big arse brakes, I dont know its just something about brakes that facinate me, I always want the biggest baddest brakes, lol. But when it does come time to change those brakes on the 3/4 ton, tis expensive, I did mine this summer, It cost around $600, and I did that myself...

If it doesnt snow much by you and your not plowing I would get a 2wd. But if its very hilly and snowy, I'd get a 4wd. But if not, get the 2wd and save your self money, both at the purchase and gas pump, and its less stuff to go wrong..

Allen's LS
12-07-2005, 11:10 PM
I would go with at least a Ford F-250. If your budget allows, Get a Diesel.

efaubert1
12-08-2005, 02:21 PM
6000 pounds on the trailer, and a 10K gvw trailer is going to weigh 2-3K at least. So no, a half ton is not a good idea unless you get a brand new one with a 9K plus towing rating, and add a weight distributing hitch.

UNISCAPER
12-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I would even take it a step beyond and get a 3500. You don't by any means need 4x4 unless you are using the truck to plow snow or do alot of lugging down muddy haul roads. The only reason I got a 4x4 is because the 3500 was not available in a single rear wheel 2wd. 4x4 will eat more fuel and cost
3-4K more, but upon selling, will make the truck easier to find a new owner for.

jim dailey
12-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Hi, I am going to be purchasing a truck in the spring to pull a 10,000 lb gvw trailer and I was wondering if a half ton pickup would be enough to tow it.
The most I will ever tow is approx. 6000 lbs on trailer. I was thinking of getting a 1500 or 2500 GMC. 2WD or 4WD? What would you guys recomend?:help:

Count your pennies. What can you afford. If you can, look at a 4wd/ 3/4 ton. You live in NY state. Think winters...thus 4 wd. A 3/4 ton truck has more braking than a 1500 (1/2 ton). Anybody on a bicycle can pull a trailer...it takes real brakes to stop weight that is in motion. Find a truck that has been taken care of, and make sure that you take good care of it, also.

RHayden
12-09-2005, 03:13 PM
I would agree with Bill here. Check out a 3500 if you can afford it. They are usually not that much more than a 3/4HD. 4x4 would be nice for the New York winters as well. Also follow the above advice on the brakes. Good Luck in your search.

tractrpowr45
12-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Hey guys, thanks for your help. I appreciate your time posting a reply. I am definitely going to get at least a 3/4 ton truck. I don't want to be sorry I got too small a size. I was thinking about maybe leasing a truck for 3 yrs. Would you recomend leasing or buying? What are your experiences? Thanks:waving:

Team_Yamaha
12-09-2005, 08:47 PM
I agree with everyone else. Get a F250 or 2500, I would go for a 4X4 since you wouldn't lose any money, you will get that back when you sell it. And with a trailer 4WD comes in very handy at times.

I buy all my trucks. When leasing they don't like having 5th wheel and gooseneck hitchs cut into the beds, plus my truck get way too many miles for that, about 45,000 a year on average. But the big thing about leasing is that I feel you are just giving you money away, after 3 years you have nothing to show for it. When buying, after 4, 5 or 6 years you have a truck thats all yours, free and clear.

RHayden
12-10-2005, 02:00 AM
Even though we lease a couple of our trucks I would say buy. You'll be able to build up a little equity in the vehicle and have some flexibility should you decide to trade or upgrade (say you buy a 2500 now but your equipment needs change and you need to go to a 3500).

TY is right. Leasing companies aren't too thrilled when you turn them in with holes in the bed from those hitches.

Leasing has its place but in your situation I would strongly consider buying.