PDA

View Full Version : Ist Big install, need help.

Mr.Mow-It-All
12-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Ok, I need some help on this, I never have realy done a complete install before. I have done very light landscaping before (very light). This is a friends of mine and he wants to me to do it. However he realy doesn't know what they want done. Probably will replace the railroad ties, and just a simple mulch and color install around the hedges. I need some help on pricing this and what I might should replace the railroad ties with (if anything) the ties act as a curbing though because this grass is in the middle of a parking lot. There are 7 total beds like this to redo. PLEASE HELP! Also I wil probably try and do this in February, weather permitting,

Thank you. I know It is not too much info, but I realy don't even know what you guys wil need so ask me as many ??? and I will try to answer.

:help: :help: :help:

Popper357
12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Look around the site for colors to use. Your edging should blend or compliment as best as possible. Use red windsor blocks or limestones for edgings. Use a natural mulch color. 6 in landscape timbers would do fine for edging, too. It's a judgement/value call. If they want to spend some dough, lay a few blocks of a couple colors and see what you think. Dark grey blocks may match the blacktop the best. Then coordinate the mulch. You could use a small red shrub around the tall bushes to soften them up and add substance. If they want color, be sure to adorn the entrance ways with that because that's where the color will realy count.

Popper357
12-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Just looked at the pics again. Since there's so many ties used as edge for the lawn, you should consider leaving the ties or replacing any unsightly ones. Maybe just add some shrubs, color and mulch.

impactlandscaping
12-08-2005, 08:32 PM
I would remove the rr ties completely, enlarge each bed about 10-20%, fresh edge with a bed edger, add some color, and mulch. Don't forget to contour the beds to allow for mowers to go right along them without leaving lots of trim work. That's my .02:waving:

Mr.Mow-It-All
12-08-2005, 08:56 PM
Well I don't think money is an issue (to a point) My friend says it has been neglected long enough and it is time to do whatever is needed, I told him he was probably at the least talking about 3K or so, and he was ok with that. That being said, any different advise?

Thanks

Cutters Lawn Care
12-09-2005, 07:50 PM
I agree with Impact on this one. Enlarge the beds. Create a nice egde. If they are looking to add color then there are numerous possiblilities. Mulch and get paid.

o-so-n-so
12-09-2005, 09:46 PM
What impact said + remove boxwoods and go with a more modern scape. Color and different leaf textures. You could really make a big difference in curb appeal. Go look at some high end commercial landscapes for ideas.

sheshovel
12-11-2005, 06:08 PM
I would totaly renovate the lawns,ripping out the old,amending the soil and working it up,then reseed or resod the lawns breaking them up with several raised mounds in spots within the lawn planted with shrubs and flowers.
Rempove the old RR ties completely and edge with having a cement edge or block 1 layer all around.OR re-RR ties all round set in with holes drilled into them and re-bar driven throught them and deep into the ground.Remove all existing shrubs and start over with new ones but not single specimens alone...
group three or five together away from the edges of the lawns.

YardPro
12-11-2005, 06:38 PM
I would totaly renovate the lawns,ripping out the old,amending the soil and working it up,then reseed or resod the lawns breaking them up with several raised mounds in spots within the lawn planted with shrubs and flowers.
Rempove the old RR ties completely and edge with having a cement edge or block 1 layer all around.OR re-RR ties all round set in with holes drilled into them and re-bar driven throught them and deep into the ground.Remove all existing shrubs and start over with new ones but not single specimens alone...
group three or five together away from the edges of the lawns.

all for 3K.......
if you can do all that then come on down here... i have A LOT of work for u......

whatever u do it has to be better than what is there..
just remember things u plant are going to get A LOT larger.. so leave a lot of room for them to grow.... plant it to look full in a few years.. NOT AS SOON AS U ARE FINISHED......