PDA

View Full Version : Advice on snow plows

FCS Services
12-10-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm wanting to get a snow plow for My Pick Up (2000 F150 - 7700). I know hardly anything on this subject. Any thoughts about best manufacture with the best kits and any suggestions or "tricks of the trade" would be extremely helpful. And as usual, suggestions on brand name keeping in mind cost, quality, support and kit completeness and if the F150 will work okay.

AL Inc
12-10-2005, 02:09 PM
FCS, the F150 is a light truck for snowplowing, so you might want to consider one of the lighter weight plows, like the SnoWay. I ran one on my '93 F150 for a few years and the plow was flawless. I'm not real familiar with what else is out there, but I know Meyer and Western also make light weight plows.
First and foremost, find a dealer close by, preferably one that stays open during storms, and see what they have to offer. No sense in buying a plow you can't get fixed locally or if you are in a bind at 3 a.m. in a blizzard.
Check out plowsite.com

Dirt_Werx
12-10-2005, 02:13 PM
head over to plowsite, all the info you could ever imagine and a great group of guys to hand it out. good luck!

FCS Services
12-10-2005, 02:55 PM
FCS, the F150 is a light truck for snowplowing, so you might want to consider one of the lighter weight plows, like the SnoWay. I ran one on my '93 F150 for a few years and the plow was flawless. I'm not real familiar with what else is out there, but I know Meyer and Western also make light weight plows.
First and foremost, find a dealer close by, preferably one that stays open during storms, and see what they have to offer. No sense in buying a plow you can't get fixed locally or if you are in a bind at 3 a.m. in a blizzard.
Check out plowsite.com

Thanks for the info. I don't anticipate using this plow extensively but lately there has been a need. If the lighter plows work well that may be the way to go.

Thanks a lot - additional thoughts welcome

LB1234
12-11-2005, 12:51 AM
I had a GMC Sierra 4x4 xlt 1500 ext. cab a few years back. I placed a 7.5' Western Pro Plow on the front of it. Plowed for three years with it. I then moved the plow over to my other truck two years ago (3/4 Ton Pickup).

Make sure the plows weight (and other items in the truck...you, toolboxes, etc.) will not exceed the FAWR on the truck. Your best bet (IMHO) is to install a set of 'Timbrens' on the front to help with the added weight. Then build a 'retainer' in the back of your pickup to hold b/t 700-1000#'s of 'ballast' in order to counter balance the plow.

You really need to take a look at what you are going to be utilizing the plow for. Just your driveway and one or two relatives/neighbors then yes, you can get away with one of the lightweight lower end poly plows. However, if you are getting it to run a business and eventually land some accounts I would recommend getting a heavy duty (not heavy in the sense of weight) plow...one with trip springs and shocks so when you are traveling at 10-15 mph and hit the manhole cover you don't break the plow or the truck for that matter.

And yes, find a dealer that has very good support. Although, if you are only using it for your home it is not AS critical if you were in business and have contractural obligations.

Just decided to shed a little light on the subject.:waving:

rdt
12-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Let me suggest some things that maybe you need to consider before you do any extensive plowing this winter. Even with the lighter weight plows, you should consider purchasing a few parts for your truck. If your budget permits you should add a transmission cooler, four row radiator, and a six blade fan. It is about keeping your internal parts cool, not necessaraly about the weight of the plow. If you budget doesn't permit all of these parts, then keep your running speed below 45 mph on the highway and give your transmission a break every 30 minutes or so. DON'T shut your engine down all at once, let it idle for 3 to 5 minutes before shut down.

vanguard
12-11-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm wanting to get a snow plow for My Pick Up (2000 F150 - 7700). I know hardly anything on this subject. Any thoughts about best manufacture with the best kits and any suggestions or "tricks of the trade" would be extremely helpful. And as usual, suggestions on brand name keeping in mind cost, quality, support and kit completeness and if the F150 will work okay.

I run this same truck, the 7700 series F-150 is the same as the 97-98 F-250 I use a Western 7.5 standard unimount and it works great! The #7700 has heavy duty cooling, oil cooler, and most had the bigger charging system. best thing is not having to pay for "gross vehicle weight" tags unlike the Super duty trucks. saves us some big $$$ payup

Take Dirt werx advice go over to "PLOWSITE.COM" lots of info there!

Itsgottobegreen
12-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Do your self a favor. GET A BLIZZARD SNOW PLOW

760lt and 760speed wing were designed just for the F-150. They are the best of the best of the smaller lighter weight snow plow. I have plowed with just about everything out there and nothing comes close to blizzard

The dump and the new to me pick up coming soon will both have blizzard 8611LP 11' wide snow plow on a pick up/ mini dump. OH YEA:D Talk about the money made there payup

Doc Pete
12-11-2005, 09:08 PM
One Thing,
If you are doing residential drives, its not as scary as you think. It's really rather simple. The horror stories you may end up hearing, are from guy's that are butchers at plowing and are hard on the equipment.
Also, get a pair of snow wiper blades, and add some extra backups lights for better lighting in the rear. Take your time and you'll be fine.......
I take mine out of 4 wheel whenever I can and try to remember to take it out of 4 wheel as soon as I start to make the hard turn out of the driveway onto the road (if it's blacktop).
Pete

Signature Landscaping1
12-11-2005, 09:08 PM
7.5 western