PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not pull a trailer?

jwerner
12-10-2005, 02:18 PM
I am in the process of downsizing. I currently run with a '02 F250 Super Duty crew cab truck, Grasshopper 928D, Exmark Turftracer, and a 14,000 gvw tandem trailer. I am thinking about trying to eliminate the trailer and grasshopper and run just my Turftracer in the back of my truck and just be a one man operation.

Does anyone do this? Any suggestions truck bed/gate?

Thanks,
Jeff

Mr Budget
12-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Why not just down size the trailer ? you will have a hard time loading and unloading your mower from your truck!

fool32696
12-10-2005, 02:33 PM
The only way I would consider getting rid of my trailer is if I got one of those big flatbed Isuzu type trucks with a dovetail ramp. There is no way I would give up my rider for a walk behind only. I really don't understand your thinking, the jobs would take longer and what do you gain, a little maneuverability?

DLCS
12-10-2005, 03:51 PM
The only way I would consider getting rid of my trailer is if I got one of those big flatbed Isuzu type trucks with a dovetail ramp. There is no way I would give up my rider for a walk behind only. I really don't understand your thinking, the jobs would take longer and what do you gain, a little maneuverability?

Maybe he is going to target smaller properties instead of larger ones.

If I was going to load a big walkbehind in my truck everyday. I would remove the tailgate and have a fabricator build a folder metal ramp to attach to the truck. Those walkbehinds would be too dangerous to load with regular ramps day in and day out.

mcwlandscaping
12-10-2005, 04:17 PM
I agree with DLCS, it would be very dangerous loading and unloading the TTHP out of the bed with regular ramps. Just my snowblower weighs 300 pounds and that has fallen off the ramps before, VERY dangerous, ide go with a smaller trailer or have a landscape bed built for your truck, just my .02

LawnBrother
12-10-2005, 04:46 PM
I stopped pulling my trailer about halfway through the season, and seriously improved my efficiency. I service small to midsize properties in the city, where parking a trailer can be a problem. I have a set of plastic extension ramps called Highland Ramparts. They extend out to 8ft. I drilled a hole in the end of the ramp that lays on the tailgate and inserted a bolt of the right length so that it fits right into the grooves of my bedliner without sliding. I loaded my 44" wb and 21" in and out for the rest of the season with no problems, except that it is hard on your tailgate (even a heavy duty one like mine) and if you get caught in the rain the ramps can get a little slick. It worked, as I said, BUT, you have to be careful. Next year I plan to replace my tailgate with a heavy duty folding metal ramp, and it will be much safer.
http://www.usaramp.com/
http://www.metko.com/m100main.html
http://www.ncrampsystems.com/Catalog.asp?Collection=1
http://www.discountramps.com/

jwerner
12-10-2005, 05:37 PM
I am planning to target smaller properties, I find them to be much more profitable than the larger ones. And, like Lawnbrother said, it would be much easier to manuever around not to mention cut down on my fuel costs.

Thanks for the links to ramp systems, I'll check them out and see what might work. I want it to look professional not cheesy. I like the way my set up looks now but would just like to downsize it some and be more efficient, i.e. less overhead.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jpocket
12-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Dude if the trialer is paid for why get rid of it, just pull your Turf tracer with that , whats the big deal?

quiet
12-10-2005, 08:12 PM
I would ask myself the question: "Do I wanna beat up a $1800 trailer or a $30,000 vehicle?"

lawnboy dan
12-10-2005, 09:14 PM
i have run with out a trailer for 16 yrs but i have the perfect truck for it. its a long bed toyota (which they stopped making long ago). it lower to the ground than a full size truck so the angle you load/unload isnt nearly as steep. its actually very easy to do and quite safe . loading into my full size chevy is possiable w/the same plastic ramps as mentioned above but i usually take the toyota using wood ramps w/end kit. there is even room left for 1 21 mower. i am going to get a trailer this spring when i get my z master toro. no way i would load that into a pickup and the tundra i bought is just too tall for even the walkbehind. i had a longbed ranger and it worked well too. it can be done .

msloop77
12-10-2005, 09:54 PM
I have loaded my Exmark Turf Tracer 48 inch in and out of my Dodge 2500 all the time, it's not that bad. I have ramps made out of 2x12's cut down to 8 ft lengths. Added the insta-ramp traction pads-made out of metal, the ramp feet and tail gate hooks. Seems to work well. After loading and unloading at 12 lawns one day, It did save on gas and the ability to fit into tight areas, the trailer was faster loading and unloading. Good luck, mark

lawnsbyrj
12-11-2005, 01:47 PM
I would not use a pickup just because of the strees on the tail gate, but a dove tail truck with landscape bed may be the most profitable and professional way. With that you can take 2 or 3 mowers not exclude any type of yard and be much more mobile. I ahve seen the izuzu types for as low as $7500 in this area.

YardPro
12-11-2005, 08:17 PM
i agree with not using the truck bed...
i would at least remove the bed and have a flatbed with a dovetail made..

look at justmowit's website and see what he has for his little rangers... great setup.

Hard Worker
12-11-2005, 08:51 PM
I would not use a pickup just because of the strees on the tail gate, but a dove tail truck with landscape bed may be the most profitable and professional way. With that you can take 2 or 3 mowers not exclude any type of yard and be much more mobile. I ahve seen the izuzu types for as low as $7500 in this area.

I am in agreement, I feel that for smaller yards a trailer is nice to have but its not needed. Has anyone tried one of the dove tail trucks with a walk-behind ZTR?

I've been looking at Just Mow Its setup and was wondering if anyone had tried loading & hauling a larger mower with a dove tail bed? I want something simple yet efficient enough to handle one walk-behind (Quick 36), two trimmers & blower.

Does anyone have a website for these types of beds?

Thanks in advance for any information. Billy

nlminc
12-11-2005, 09:00 PM
I use a 1998 Nissan UD 1400 Box(16ft enclosed) with a dovetail on the back. Best thing I ever did! Portable garage and it turns on a dime. I paid $12,000.00 with the ramp back in 2003 when it had 119,000 miles. All I've ever done is tires, brakes and oil/filter changes.

stevesmowing
12-11-2005, 09:07 PM
I tired loading a belt drive in my f150 once. Very scary. A hydro maybe. The only way I would load anything would be with one of the ramps that are called the safety ramps that r like a trailer gate. Someone on here has a custom made flat bed that slopes down in the back and then has a gate. It looked like a pretty sweet set up. I can't remember where I saw it though. Are you going to save time with increased load time, trying to squeeze the 2 mowers and trimmers and blowers into the bed each time?

Lawn Masters
12-11-2005, 09:18 PM
I dont use a trailer at all. I just convert all my trucks to flatbed pickups, and use them like that. this is mainly due to my inability to back a trailer worth crap. well, that and I find it simpler when turning around in dead end streets.

lawnboy dan
12-12-2005, 09:44 AM
having a toro t-bar makes it a lot eaiser to load into truck bed as you have better control than pistol grip

davidcalhoun
12-12-2005, 10:46 AM
A pick-up truck with full width ramp gate (that replaces the tailgate) can be a very efficient set up for a one man operation. Lots of guys can drive a pick-up truck in traffic, pulling a trailer in traffic is a different story.

I set up a truck like this 15 years ago for a employee who I could trust to work well on his own. Here is what I would suggest to be very cost effective and efficient:

1) Buy a used 1/2 ton truck with a full size bed. A 6-cyl. engine is great when set up for this purpose. Less taxes and less cost to opperate. Depending on the width of the fender wells, you can put a WB in there up to a 52" cut.

2) Put a full width ramp gate on it. Look at the Redi-Ramp, it can be seen at www.rampsplus.com Do not mess with boards. The ramp gate is quicker, safer, and less wear & tear on you. $800.00 to $900.00 cost. With this type of ramp, you can even load belt drive WBs with no problems. Ramp capacity is rated at 1800 pounds so you could drive SOME small ZTRs up it.

3) Attach a headache rack to protect the back window. I chose one that allowed me to carry multiple tools on it. It is also handy when hauling tall items.

4) Attach another rack to one side that can carry trimmers and such. There are several to pick from. You might want to get one that allows you to lock up your trimmers.

5) Decide how you want to carry repair tools and replacement blades. I bought one that fit behind the seat. This was a full width one that also allowed me to carry jacks and a small air pump back there.

The only other thing you may want to carry in the bed is your fuel cans.

This lay out is very efficient. The ramp gate does not take any longer to opperate that one on a trailer. You can park in tighter areas. There are no plates to buy for a trailer. And you reduce the number of flat tires (trailers always seem to get more flats on the passenger side becuse of they stick out while driving or turning).

Have at it.

Hard Worker
12-12-2005, 08:54 PM
DavidCalhoun thanks for sharing your ideas and suggestions. Do you have any pictures of your setup? Where do you place the ramps after you load the mower? I'm assuming that you slide them on their sides alongside your mower?

Hard Worker
12-12-2005, 08:58 PM
I dont use a trailer at all. I just convert all my trucks to flatbed pickups, and use them like that. this is mainly due to my inability to back a trailer worth crap. well, that and I find it simpler when turning around in dead end streets.

LawnMaster do you have any pictures of your truck? Does your flatbed have a dovetail? Thanks for your input! I'm searching for ways to become more efficient & Davidcalhoun hit the "nail" on the head when he spoke about flat tires and such. Just tonight I was pulling an empty trailer & it came off the hitch. Spent about 15minutes in the middle of the road trying to pry the trailer tongue jack out from under my pickup, where it had slid underneath it.

As I was doing this I thought at that very moment about this thread and hoped to find some answers. Thanks guys for your help.

Lawn Services Plus
12-12-2005, 09:20 PM
I have loaded my 36' wb into my G-30 chevy van (pass van
with seats removed-mainly because the DOT is stopping
the trailer pullers around here-works for the postage stamp
yards in the city.wood ramps hook to the bumper

cochino12
12-12-2005, 09:26 PM
So can you guys mulch or discharge all year? I would like not to have to use a trailer but sometimes the grass is just too long to discharge and I am forced to dump it in the bed of the truck. I'm going to try some mulch kits this year and see if it can handle the long spring growth

davidcalhoun
12-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Hard Worker,

The Redi-Ramp set up is a full width ramp 2 piece ramp that folds. It replaces the tailgate completly (it becomes the tailgate when folded). Go to the web site, click on "Redi-Ramp, and see some photos. It looks like they have a sale on them right now for $795.95. I don't know how much shipping is.

I still have one sitting in my garage that I bought new and used for about 2 1/2 months before I had to move (wife's career). I then became Mr. Mom and traded the truck in for SUV.

J&R Landscaping
01-08-2006, 11:43 PM
I have a set of 2"x12"x8' ramps to load my mowers into my f150. It takes a little longer but if you do dead end streets or juyst smaller properties, its a good way to go. A neighboor who also cuts and has a 36" w.b., has a 5x8 trailer but says he prefers loading the equipment into the back of his ram 1500.

green_mark
01-09-2006, 10:45 AM
www.handyramp.com

Truck ramps that attached exactly where your tail connects and the cost is $695.00.

grasswhacker
01-09-2006, 10:58 AM
I am in the process of downsizing. I currently run with a '02 F250 Super Duty crew cab truck, Grasshopper 928D, Exmark Turftracer, and a 14,000 gvw tandem trailer. I am thinking about trying to eliminate the trailer and grasshopper and run just my Turftracer in the back of my truck and just be a one man operation.

Does anyone do this? Any suggestions truck bed/gate?

Thanks,
Jeff

http://www.csturfequip.com/product/CST3X6C/3X6CUSTOMCARRIER.aspx

grasswhacker
01-09-2006, 11:00 AM
http://www.ramps-ramps-ramps.com/pick-up-truck-loading-ramps.htm